tRAILER sAVER iSSUE

JPL

Contact AAron

aaron@hensleymfg.com

He is known to respond on weekends and after hrs.

If the indicator on the flat bar shows the jaws around the pin, try tapping he spring pin in from the left or drivers side.

This type of issue has cropped up several times.  The pin and hole it goes in may be out of alignment.

The boat show is done so now on to Important things! I haven't had time this weekend to do anything but we will do some extensive checking tomorrow. Hope wew can ID the problem and them fix it. Mre to follow as known. thanks again for all the helpful info. A planned PM sounds good as well as a cover. I have a friend who does a lot on boat curtain work so I'll see about getting a cover made to fit.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Today was the day and thanks to Chet(NeverEasy) we were able to find and fix the dirty problem. It was to much grease and not enough TLC. We sprayed and scraped and sprayed some more PB Blaster and some brake cleaner and scraped with a scraper and a screwdriver. Chet had a 5er pin hitch that we kept fitting into the hitch until it started to work. He  kept at until it worked and locked and unlocked like it was suppose to. Then it was power washed and finally a little grease in the right place and some oil in the pins and problem solved. So to all who said clean it you were Right! The hitch that Chet had was the one on the truck when his 5er rolled. The tail tried to wag the dog but the dog held firm. The 5er was totaled but the truck with Chet and TDW was still on the tires not on the side. That Ladies and Gentleman is why we tow with a HDT. Because he had the totaled hitch we were able to see and understand how the jaws lock and stay that way! Now I feel like I at least have a working knowledge of that hitch. So Thanks to a great Guy All is good on Pats Pride tonight. Until the next thing goes bad. 

So lesson learned and i pass on to everyone who doesn't clean or check your hitch on a regular basic please do it. 

I'm going to get a cover made and I know we can beat that $90 price. I'll have a couple at the FCR. 

Again thanks again to all who inputted here!    Pat

The Old Sailor

Avoid grease on that hitch.  Use the 1/8th or 1/4" plate for lube on the pin.  There are better spray products out there that will lube the working parts of the hitch without collecting dirt and the buildup that you experienced.

See you down the road.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

On 2/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, HERO Maker said:

Avoid grease on that hitch.  Use the 1/8th or 1/4" plate for lube on the pin.  There are better spray products out there that will lube the working parts of the hitch without collecting dirt and the buildup that you experienced.

See you down the road.

which spray products? I like ballistol.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

This is what David (The former owner of the company) used and what I use to lube the jaws and other parts of the hitch. It is important maintenance to extend the life of the head. We also use a plate - depth can depend on what is needed with the pin on your pin box. Ours is a 1/4"

CRC Power Lube High Performance w/PTFE

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Hooked up to the 5er today. Slick as glass. What a lesson for the Old Sailor. Keep it clean! 

Lockmup68   The 1st cover is being made. i I'll let you know how it fits.  What hitch do you have?   Pat

The Old Sailor        

7 hours ago, TreyandSusan said:

This is what David (The former owner of the company) used and what I use to lube the jaws and other parts of the hitch. It is important maintenance to extend the life of the head. We also use a plate - depth can depend on what is needed with the pin on your pin box. Ours is a 1/4"

CRC Power Lube High Performance w/PTFE

I'm with Trey on this.  Use something that dries and leaves the PTFE behind.  That's great stuff.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

16 hours ago, JPL said:

Hooked up to the 5er today. Slick as glass. What a lesson for the Old Sailor. Keep it clean! 

Lockmup68   The 1st cover is being made. i I'll let you know how it fits.  What hitch do you have?   Pat

The Old Sailor        

TSLB2H with the 3rd airbag.

Thanks,

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On commercial 5ths we use these lock testers all the time to check them and adjust them  You can find a lot of stuff when it is all working right there in front of you with no trailer in the way.  Of course the testers and the videos don't work for y'alls, but the same concept could be applied to make one that fits the RV head to check em out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTmNfoF4Gw

Please read the instructions for the hitch. And service it as they tell you to do. Most people never grease a couple of the spots.

And if the handle is in that one spot. The hitch will not latch. Went to the website to get the manual. But someone was smart enough to think owners would not need to see it. So its no longer on there where it used to be.

There's 2 spots it tells you to oil/grease. That most people cry that is bad wear spots. But when you ask them if they service them. No it has no place to service it there. Then they read the instructions. And see it was overlooked.

event.png

Archived