PILOT / Flying J ....YES!

rbertalotto

I ran into that situation of FJ charging me more than the guy in front of me at the counter.  So to fix that situation, I make sure I am at the furthest pump from the counter and don't pull in quite as far.  Do my double hose fill and be on my way. 

Soon To Be Outbound!!!  

IMG_1380.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have not seen the big difference in prices at Pilot /FL. We do have the RV plus card that reduces the price by 8 cents per gallon Diesel . One think I like is we do not have to go inside to pay just swipe the card and fuel even the most of  older pilots have gone  to this system however at the  pilots the pumps are set up for truckers and you have to know how to make the proper entries. Now here in central Flor ida  both Loves and FJ/ Pilot  are 20 cents higher than other stations. We do not fuel there. There are stations within a couple of miles that are  far less expensive. I do not understand the pricing of FJ/ Pilot and Loves in this area.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I don't check diesel prices, but gas prices at every PFJ we've been to have been competitive with other nearby stations.

58 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Now here in central Flor ida  both Loves and FJ/ Pilot  are 20 cents higher than other stations. We do not fuel there. There are stations within a couple of miles that are  far less expensive. I do not understand the pricing of FJ/ Pilot and Loves in this area.

Their gas prices are fairly competitive...cars use very little fuel. The diesel prices are way higher because the truck stops know the commercial guys have no choice. They need stations the size of trucks stops..that also have the other amenities they want. They can afford to be competitive with people with 20 gallon tanks. It is the truck with the 250-300 gallon tanks that they make money off of. That is why I can afford to look around. Leave the trailer where ever we are staying and take the truck to get filled. Since my HDT is one of those trucks that holds 300 gallons, for 20-30 cents I can fill up where I want to, not where I need to. I can even plan to fuel in the next state if it saves me $60-70.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Markati said:

I ran into that situation of FJ charging me more than the guy in front of me at the counter.  So to fix that situation, I make sure I am at the furthest pump from the counter and don't pull in quite as far.  Do my double hose fill and be on my way. 

Would you please explain this post?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

....Leave the trailer where ever we are staying  ....

You do realize that motorhomes can't do that - we have the motorhome with us, so we fill either before getting in the park or when leaving in the morning (if that is the day we have to fill).   I use Gas Buddy to get a rough idea of prices ahead of us for the coming days and Google Satellite view to take a look at any place we are not familiar with - - the in an out ease is very important to us.   Even unhooking the car doesn't mean we can get in with the motorhome at a lot of 'cheaper' stations and we don't even try.  Do like that more and more Costcos on the west coast now have diesel. :D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

23 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I guess my old boating days habits always prevented me from adding another mounted fuel tank, or replacing the existing tank on my previously owned F350.  My boat took 300 gallons of diesel but I only kept the tanks at the level I knew I needed, why haul around an extra 600 to 700 pounds of weight.

When we were previously full time pulling our Montana fiver there were times I needed the extra fuel range.  I spent under $50.00 and had four 5-gallon diesel cans.  The extra 20 gallons was just right and when not needed they could be stored any place.  Now with 100 gallon capacity on a DP I probably will not need extra fuel range, but if I find I do then I will be purchasing some fuel cans again.

The yellow cans in my image are 5 gallon railroad approved cans for diesel. The pair will add 80-100 miles when pulling the 5r.  Not the cheap plastic cans from WalMart that everyone complains about. They are not cheap! Bing "Justrite safety can" or "railroad approved gas can". Although we are a 5r, some campgrounds are a far hike to fuel so unless you'll be touring the area, filling up when unhitched might not be an option. We might at some point go the expense of an aux tank.

When pulling our 25' pontoon through Giddings, Texas, we have always been able to squeeze into the Buc-ee's to fuel. I noticed recently there are 3 new truck stop style fueling stops. One only has reviews going back 2 months. All are much easier to get into and out of with the 5r attached than the Buc-ee's. For the added expense and not being on our path, I for one will avoid Pilot/Flying J and Love's.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Well, I only carry 210 gallons so I refuel every thousand miles or so. I know I can get my rig into a truck stop but not always in a local station. Buc-ee's will not allow us to fill up and I prefer being able to use a master/slave pump and fill both tanks at the same time. When home, I know the out of the way truck stops but on the road, I hit the major truck stops for speed and ease of use.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

17 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You do realize that motorhomes can't do that

Yes. You have pointed it out twice now. You also understand not everyone has the handicap that you are speaking of? Many of us have the luxury of separating our recreational vehicles. 

Do you also realize that there only about 700 P/FJ stations nationwide and 1200 Murphy USA (or rebranded as Walmart) stations that are just as easy for you and your motorhome to fit in. And that the Murphy/Walmart stations are probably cheaper, not to mention the grocery stores, Bucee's (for those of you allowed to fill there) and other larger stations. Murphy/Walmart also has locations that are in more remote locations than the truck stops. If you are exploring the country side (rather than driving the Interstate Highways) they are much easier to find. I try to never let my fuel gauge drop much below 1/2 a tank but I know people that wait till 1/4 or below. No wonder they have to take what they can get.

Like you I use Gas Buddy and googlemaps for an overhead view. Technology makes it too easy to find fuel, no matter where you are without having to rely on truckstops that may be nowhere near you and charging 10-25 cents a gallon more because they know truckers are limited on where they will fit. You and your motorhome, while being a large vehicle, is considerably smaller than an "18 wheeler" and therefore you should be able to get into much smaller and less expensive stations. 

2014 smart Fortwo

15 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Do you also realize that there only about 700 P/FJ stations nationwide and 1200 Murphy USA (or rebranded as Walmart) stations that are just as easy for you and your motorhome to fit in.

With all due respect, I think you're making a generalization about Murphy/Walmart stations that sure isn't true of several I can point to in our area.  I don't consider them any better than average gas stations with regard to access for my MH and I sure wouldn't want to count on fueling at one without inspecting it first

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

3 minutes ago, docj said:

With all due respect, I think you're making a generalization about Murphy/Walmart stations that sure isn't true of several I can point to in our area.  I don't consider them any better than average gas stations with regard to access for my MH and I sure wouldn't want to count on fueling at one without inspecting it first

I guess that goes to show how different parts of the country can be different, Joel. The ones down here are (for the most part) rather large and way out in the parking lot. I would have no problem getting my 24ft truck and 41ft trailer into most of them. I know my sisters 38ft Bounder would be a breeze. 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

into most of them.

I can think of some that are real challenging.   One at Txkna/Nash Tx comes to mind. I had one like that in OK once that worked by waiting in the parking lot eating dinner until about 10pm then no problem.

14 hours ago, Big5er said:

Yes. You have pointed it out twice now. You also understand not everyone has the handicap that you are speaking of? Many of us have the luxury of separating our recreational vehicles. 

Do you also realize that there only about 700 P/FJ stations nationwide and 1200 Murphy USA (or rebranded as Walmart) stations that are just as easy for you and your motorhome to fit in. And that the Murphy/Walmart stations are probably cheaper, not to mention the grocery stores, Bucee's (for those of you allowed to fill there) and other larger stations. Murphy/Walmart also has locations that are in more remote locations than the truck stops. If you are exploring the country side (rather than driving the Interstate Highways) they are much easier to find. I try to never let my fuel gauge drop much below 1/2 a tank but I know people that wait till 1/4 or below. No wonder they have to take what they can get.

Like you I use Gas Buddy and googlemaps for an overhead view. Technology makes it too easy to find fuel, no matter where you are without having to rely on truckstops that may be nowhere near you and charging 10-25 cents a gallon more because they know truckers are limited on where they will fit. You and your motorhome, while being a large vehicle, is considerably smaller than an "18 wheeler" and therefore you should be able to get into much smaller and less expensive stations. 

If you travel most of the U.S.A. you will find that most Walmart's do not have fuel.  I suspect you live and travel in a confined area that is blessed with having numerous ones that do have fuel pumps.

The other general fact you are stating about "motorhomes" is that they are considerably smaller than 18 wheelers.  That is not always the case as my little 12 wheeler combination is 73' long.  Even if I wanted to drop my enclosed trailer and go fuel up I have no interest in trying to squeeze a 43' bus into a busy Walmart lot, or at least not up to their pump areas.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

2 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

If you travel most of the U.S.A. you will find that most Walmart's do not have fuel.  I suspect you live and travel in a confined area that is blessed with having numerous ones that do have fuel pumps.

The other general fact you are stating about "motorhomes" is that they are considerably smaller than 18 wheelers.  That is not always the case as my little 12 wheeler combination is 73' long.  Even if I wanted to drop my enclosed trailer and go fuel up I have no interest in trying to squeeze a 43' bus into a busy Walmart lot, or at least not up to their pump areas.

True many Wall marts do not have  fuel  stations and many do not have diesel. Sams clubs also come into mind most have fuel stations  but we are 56 feet long truck and RV and most Sams are closer into the city and not handy. We have on occasion blocked entire Mom and Pop fuel stations fueling because of poor planning on our part.Like many others we put a price on convenience and ease of entry/exit within a reasonable amount. Whatever one does is the right thing for them. We are all different and we all make our own choices.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Murphy's has a app called Murphy USA that gives gas & diesel price if the station has diesel.

App can be used with a map for any state or in the local area you are at.
App has the address for the station. With it you can see the station and layout on Google Earth.
Using the Walmart gift card will give you 3¢ off a gal. Sometimes they have a special and give 10¢

Last time I could find anything on the 10¢ was in 2011

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I do not use FJ/P but Loves which is a similar chain. They are more expensive than a lot of diesel stations, but the fuel is always fresh, they are on the highway and easy in and out for my coach and toad. [Don't forget, if you mess up with a MH with a toad, you cannot back up, like you can with a  TT or 5th wheeler] I have a CC tied to Loves which saves me 10 cents a gallon and lets me do the entire transaction at the pump. I use my local Sams when not towing and noticed that they now only allow $75 at a time when fueling. Then you must start over again. I would like to save more, but I am more a destination guy, and will pay a little more for convenience when travelling.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

8 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

You are absolutely right, I did say "smaller". When I made my post I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that your vehicle was of a legal length in most states.
And since, as you posted, you have "no interest in trying to squeeze your bus" into a large parking lot then I fail to understand the issue here. Although I am curious about how you manage to get into a lot of camp sites but then maybe I like more remote campgrounds than you. I am more than capable in doing what you have no interest in, so obviously we are not going to reach an agreement here. 

Safe Journeys. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Murphy station at War Mart in Tyler Texas.   We have a 37' motorhome and pull a car.   WITHOUT the car attached there is no way that we could fill up there without having to BACK OUT after we were done filling.   Not only is our turning radius not the greatest in the world, but they stack "sale items" along the back wall, which is fine if you have a car or small truck, but not for someone with a motorhome.  Likewise, I'm not sure we could then make another turn at the end of the line of pumps because of "sale items" stacked (this is cut into a hill side).   We have filled up at a Safeway several times, but we have to go fill up and then find space in the parking lot to hook up the car and do the light and tow bar check.  Not easy to do in a BUSY parking lot at 10 am.     Love the new Costcos, which have there fuel stations away from the general store parking, especially before 11:00 am.  The one in Bellingham, WA has the diesel pumps on the outside with extra wide lane next on each side to pull away after filling; plus it is right off of I-5.   Another good place is at Smokey Point, WA, a Union Station that is one of the busiest you will ever see and their price is always the lowest around.   You just pull in and pump, no paying ahead, etc.   

I'm not sure why the hostility to motorhomes evidenced in this thread.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Murphy station at War Mart in Tyler Texas.   We have a 37' motorhome and pull a car.   WITHOUT the car attached there is no way that we could fill up there without having to BACK OUT after we were done filling.   Not only is our turning radius not the greatest in the world, but they stack "sale items" along the back wall, which is fine if you have a car or small truck, but not for someone with a motorhome.  Likewise, I'm not sure we could then make another turn at the end of the line of pumps because of "sale items" stacked (this is cut into a hill side).   We have filled up at a Safeway several times, but we have to go fill up and then find space in the parking lot to hook up the car and do the light and tow bar check.  Not easy to do in a BUSY parking lot at 10 am.     Love the new Costcos, which have there fuel stations away from the general store parking, especially before 11:00 am.  The one in Bellingham, WA has the diesel pumps on the outside with extra wide lane next on each side to pull away after filling; plus it is right off of I-5.   Another good place is at Smokey Point, WA, a Union Station that is one of the busiest you will ever see and their price is always the lowest around.   You just pull in and pump, no paying ahead, etc.   

I noticed the hostility too, think it is a lack of understanding on the differences between a motorhome and a 5th wheeler. Personally I am a motorhome guy, but I do admire the ability of 5th wheelers to maneuver and get into spots I cannot. I have been to campgrounds where I have seen 40 ft 5th wheels in spots I could never get my 40 ft motorhome into, and do appreciate the fact that 5th wheeler can unhook and get fueled at places I can't. But to each his own. Not the place to get into the mh vs 5th wheel debate again, but a good time to realize there is a difference, and both have their advantages, and disadvantages, and to respect each others choices.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I am not sure what hostility you are speaking of but you have stated more than once, in this thread, that a response doesn't apply to you because you have a motorhome. Great, that is all well and good for you... but you are not the only one on this thread. There are people on here that are driving vehicles that pull trailers. As a matter of fact. if you will look, this thread was started by a someone pulling a fifthwheel, not driving a MH, so any comment concerning trailers is just as relevant as your MH comments and really doesn't need to be "corrected" by someone with a different vehicle.  If a comment doesn't apply to you, then read the next one. You have made it clear that what people with trailers can do, you can not. I am sincerely sorry that what works for me doesn't work for you. I guess I should just be happy that I do not have to work as hard to find fuel as people with motorhomes seem to. 
Like jcussen we just need to realize there are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds of vehicle. 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Like jcussen we just need to realize there are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds of vehicle. 

Well stated Big guy!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

11 hours ago, Biker56 said:

Using the Walmart gift card will give you 3¢ off a gal. Sometimes they have a special and give 10¢

I have  run into some that won't give a discount on the walmart gift cards. That was both Sam's club and Murphy stations. Usually though you get the discount.  One if memory serves was a Walmart inWest Memphis Ark.  and at least one freestanding Murphy Station-convience store.

I have only pulled up to a 30-32 TT and have really wondered how  some of you longer folks get into some stations. I can get into most places but I have had issues on occaision and I'm pretty good at maneuvering if I do say so myself.

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

...I have only pulled up to a 30-32 TT and have really wondered how  some of you longer folks get into some stations...

Unless I am familiar with the particular station, I don't even try Walmart or any of the grocery/convenience store stations with the trailer in tow any more. It took a few times having to wait for the cars parked in front of the store or backing out into the street before I adopted this philosophy. If we are traveling and not going to unhook for the night, I will use a truck stop/travel center or watch for a station with the pumps parallel to the road. Now that I have a truck that can use B20, I will stop at Flying Js/Pilots. I won't go too far off the planned route looking for better prices when towing.

13 hours ago, Big5er said:

I am not sure what hostility you are speaking of but you have stated more than once, in this thread, that a response doesn't apply to you because you have a motorhome. Great, that is all well and good for you... but you are not the only one on this thread. There are people on here that are driving vehicles that pull trailers. As a matter of fact. if you will look, this thread was started by a someone pulling a fifthwheel, not driving a MH, so any comment concerning trailers is just as relevant as your MH comments and really doesn't need to be "corrected" by someone with a different vehicle.  If a comment doesn't apply to you, then read the next one. You have made it clear that what people with trailers can do, you can not. I am sincerely sorry that what works for me doesn't work for you. I guess I should just be happy that I do not have to work as hard to find fuel as people with motorhomes seem to. 

During our first run at full timing we only put just over 40,000 miles traveling through 26 states, all of that in a F350 pulling a 39' fiver.  This time around we are doing it in a 43' DP pulling a 24' enclosed, which as you pointed out is an illegal combination and I'm certain to be headed for jail soon.

I could back up my fiver into almost any spot and was pretty good at getting into tight areas.  I am having just as much luck with my current rig and am able to back it up all day long.  The issue as far as I'm concerned has always been fueling at facilities that were never designed for RVs.  I don't want to worry about cars dodging in and around my RV, or folks walking close to my blind spots in a regular gas station.  I have never thought it was safe or courteous, so I fuel up at facilities that are designed to handle vehicles my length, height, weight, and width.  It boils down to personal preferences.  I don't mind spending an extra $2.00 to $5.00 on a fill up in a facility that is safe and easy to utilize.  Others may be willing to go after that lower cost of fuel no matter what.  Everyone should make their own informed decision.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

28 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

I don't mind spending an extra $2.00 to $5.00 on a fill up in a facility that is safe and easy to utilize. 

I'm glad someone finally said this.  My usual fill is ~50-60 gallons which, at today's prices is ~$150-160.  Five to ten cents a gallon, therefore, represents a savings of ~$3-6 which IMO is not enough to cause me to go anywhere other than the most convenient place to fill up.  Furthermore, at ~8 mpg, if I have to go even a couple of miles out of the way to fuel then I will have spent all the potential savings, anyway.

My personal experience has been that the major truck stops are no more than 5-10 cents more expensive than other stations in their vicinity.  I'm not denying that you can probably use GasBuddy to find a station with even lower prices a few miles away, but that's when the "8 mpg realism" enters the equation.   

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived