RV heating concept

noteven

Could not a builder install radiant heat in the ceilings and certain walls of his rv? 

Anyone done such a thing?

What I learned designing and installing radiant heating in my s&b and shop:

Radiant (infrared) heat does not “rise”. It travels in the straight lines, like “down” from the noonday sun. Hot air rises, leaking out where it can, drawing cold air from outside from wherever it can get in creating a draft...

Radiant heaters can convect air warmed by the radiant heated materials of the heat emitter is designed that way. Like a radiator under a window in a building. 

Radiant heat is directed to where you want it by reflective and insulating material behind the source. 

Radiant heating is fuel efficient. A 17000 btu Buddy radiant heater seems to make the same amount of heating comfort as a 35000 btu rv furnace. 

Anyway just kicking an idea around...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Many RVs mine included have Aqua Hot for heat and water heater. The heat is radiated thruout the couch. It’s has already been done. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Could not a builder install radiant heat in the ceilings and certain walls of his rv? 

They could be it would need an energy source. The reason for the current propane furnaces with 12V-dc powered blowers is to make them useful when you are driving on the road or parked where no electricity is available. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you are still in the neighborhood I have infrared heater you could use for a test. I just remembered that I have one of those that is abou 8" in diameter. I may even have a long gas line that you could use a 20 lb bottle for the test.

Sometimes I forget stuff. It is in my truck in storage.

Just yell or text if you are not within yelling distance.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

22 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

With the Aqua-Hot system hot water is circulated (not radiated) to heat exchangers located in the RV.  This is not Radiant Heating as described by the OP. 

The exchangers radiate the heat into the room. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

9 hours ago, Twotoes said:

The exchangers radiate the heat into the room. 

You are using "radiate" as a generic term to mean distribution. What the OP is specifically describing is radiant heat, which is directly heating an object in the environment without heating the air in between. You may (or may not) find the following discussion useful:

https://www.herschel-infrared.com/how-it-works/radiant-versus-convection-heat/

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Back in the late 1990's and early 2000s a company would advertise radiant in floor heating for RVs in the magazines.  Then they disappeared.  So it is not a new idea.  I have no idea how many they sold, but suspect it is not many or it would be mentioned in used RV ads.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

All the major high end motorhome manufacturers offer in floor radiant heating. Not sure how good it would work on laminate wood floors, but have seen it on tile and marble, quartz etc. The ones I have had are electric, but some can use circulated water from aqua-hot etc.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Thanks for the responses - I propose ceiling and wall heat in addition to floors... 

Source could be diesel or LP fired hydronic. 

Electric would need many watts. There are interesting developments in electric heating textiles and such. 

Espar and Webasto make 12v heaters up to 125,000 btu.  

9 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Now all that you need to do is convince the RV industry and their design engineers that this is a good idea!  :P

noteven Kirk! :lol: This wouldn’t be a  dark cabinet / current fad decor  display on wheels, yours for 240 payments....oac 

I’m thinking about a real 4 season custom build.  About a R12 to 20 insulated box with everything inside the heated/cooled envelope. Heat recovery ventilator for cold / humid weather.  Systems inside the envelope... 

A residential (96% efficient) condensing 80,000BTU boiler that would heat both the trailer and the HW would use less power and propane than a common RV (76% efficient) propane furnace.

I would have installed one in our trailer but the issues I ran into were:

-time it would take to install the PEX (3/8" easiest to bend) tubing under the floor. 

- did not have enough wall space to  keep the max temperature of the rads below 130F.

- using fan forced air rads (at 180F) drove up the 12V power consumption

2011 Cameo 34SB3

15 hours ago, noteven said:

I’m thinking about a real 4 season custom build.  About a R12 to 20 insulated box with everything inside the heated/cooled envelope. Heat recovery ventilator for cold / humid weather.  Systems inside the envelope... 

We still have the same problem, convincing someone to build it. For the manufacturer, the issue is finding a way to build what you suggest at a price that will sell enough of them to make a profit. The RV manufacturing history is strewn with names of companies that once insisted on building quality RVs and asking prices that would make them profitable, but which failed because the price was too high for the market if they didn't cut quality somewhere.  I can only think of two companies who might be interested in building what you are suggesting. Try contacting either Marathon Coach or Newell Coach or possibly Prevost Coach as those are the only companies that I know of who are in a market where cost is not an issue.  I know that Newell Coach will build custom if the buyer is willing to pay the cost.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, mptjelgin said:

With the Aqua-Hot system hot water is circulated (not radiated) to heat exchangers located in the RV.  This is not Radiant Heating as described by the OP. 

There are two systems in some DP coaches, Aqua Hot and Oasis.  Newmar models offer heated tile floors which I would consider radiant heat.  To me it is the same as our sticknbrick with heated tile bathroom floors.  

For radiant heat to be built into the walls and ceiling of a coach it certainly would add a ton of cost and even some unwanted weight.  I'm not sure that type of feature would be practical in any RV.  Our Oasis system provides our heat and hot water.  In addition we can run it off diesel instead of electric.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

5 minutes ago, noteven said:

I am filing ideas for a self build not interested in manufacturing for sale or asking a manufacturer to think outside the scope of their business.

People on Truck Conversion and 4x4 forums have done this.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Archived