Restoration work begins ...

Morelli

Today start the restoration work on our Newmar Kountry Aire 38ft RV .....  Always liked Newmar fifthwheels and I discovered they stopped making them, went on a quest to find one to restore.  When we found ours, it has a few issues but then they all do.  The unit was mint but looked like it sat for a long time.  Even the generator had only 38 hours on the clock ....

On the exterior, going to do a new roof, remove and overhaul the AC units.  Reseal all joints, replace the floor in the kitchen slide, fix all slide seals, new seals all other doors.  Repair the fiber glass wheel covers, new brakes, and have paint touched up and buffed.  Converting the unit from electric/hydralic braking to air/hydralic from Bludot.

On interior, well the interior is dated ....  New floors, residential frigde, new cook top/stove. Paint all cabinets, paint all the walls, new blinds and window covering.  Redo the ceilling panels, two have some minor water damage.  New instant water heater, overhaul the battery stuff, room for 8 batteries in the battery area, modern inverter and some solar on the roof.  Remodel the bathroom and update it.

Lotsa work but very exciting !!

WIll post pictures shorlty .....

Good luck with the remodel.  I’ve had aTruma tankless heater in my DRV for the last year.  They work very well and I can highly recommend them.  I have had contact with the manufacturer and they have excellent customer service as well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Team,

Thanks for the info !!  Please keep it coming, I love it !!  Newmar did a wonderful job at having hookups ready to go for dishwasher, washer and dryer !  Just have to do a little cabinet modification but that is very easy for me.  My honey is already planning trips and interior decor ...  Love it !!

Nice ranges and shocking prices !  After looking at cabinet space, not able to install a normal size range without rebuilding the kitchen setup.  On this one, gonna have to stick with an RV range for now.  Since the entire kitchen is a slide, cabinet work is a bit tricker.  Lockmip68, thank you very much for the suggestion !!  BTW, really like your setup !!

For info on the slide seal this talk to these people

http://uni-grip.com/

Once you know what you want order the seals from these people.

http://www.cleanseal.com/adhesives.html

Don't know the type of brakes you have but for upscale disc Dexter make calipers with 4 pistons/caliper

Tuson makes an ABS system

http://www.direclink.com/

I've done a re&re on ceilings by cutting door (1/8" ply) skin,  gluing  3/8" foam to it and wrapping it with vinyl. It is important to wrap the vinyl around the edges with the same tension .

I've finished the structural parts of my re&re now I'm into the electrical....today I was running the wires so that the outside lighting is on 3 way switching.

For solar the first part of this webinar is interesting. At 6:56 it looks at solar to DC (battery charging) as well as solar directly to AC which is worth looking at if there is enough residential power use (fridge / boiler / mini split AC) during the day. 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

I have one of the Furrion ovens and separate cooktops in our new DRV.  While they are not full blown residential quality, they are leaps and bounds ahead of any other RV stoves we have had in previous units.  I would definitely recommend them.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 2/6/2018 at 10:20 AM, Pug said:

Nice ranges and shocking prices !  After looking at cabinet space, not able to install a normal size range without rebuilding the kitchen setup.  On this one, gonna have to stick with an RV range for now.  Since the entire kitchen is a slide, cabinet work is a bit tricker.  Lockmip68, thank you very much for the suggestion !!  BTW, really like your setup !!

My range is in slide and when I pulled out the RV range, it was only a 1/2 of space I routed out of the existing cabinet. Granted, the Teton is all residential grade cabinets, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I also removed the drawer that was underneath. It is an apartment size range, but fits a cookie sheet.

FO3MoVZl.jpg

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

The 20" ovens are not wide enough for "most" regular cookware.    I went to a 24" Summit smooth top electric, I know most want gas.    The 24" ranges can fit in many RV's with a bit of trimming the front face frame and counter top.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If you want to upgrade the exterior a little, those taillights are Ford Econoline/Explorer & nice units available. One thing I added you might think about is a MUCH bigger 3rd brake light.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

2 minutes ago, ARGO said:

If you want to upgrade the exterior a little, those taillights are Ford Econoline/Explorer & nice units available. One thing I added you might think about is a MUCH bigger 3rd brake light.

Argo, I agree !  I noticed that in their current state, cannot see much light action.  Was also thinking about swapping out the bulbs with LED replacement that are a bit brighter.

Archived