Now the fun part starts!

Moresmoke

Patch it or reinforce it for now, definitely not any reason to worry about it, other than the DW turning an ankle 1100 miles from home.  

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 2/7/2018 at 3:19 PM, Moresmoke said:

Stuff has started appearing on the front porch!

As a side note, it is always an adventure when you get a new to you piece of equipment.  On the way home, a couple times the engine didn't crank over quite like it should. Figured I'd pull the batteries, charge them individually, and load test them. All the battery connections were loose. Every single one. One battery shows 12.5 volts with a multi meter, but can't even trigger the relay in my load tester.

Anyone else have a pothole in the middle of the cab floor of their Volvo? Must've been a real big boy that drove this thing. The whole center of the floor where the gearshift would be is bent down.

20180207_143402-400x533.jpg

Where did you get them? Did you build them yourself?

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, Ronbo said:

Maybe a bet that tilts slightly to decrease the breakover angle. 

It would have to Ron.  But most of us are avoiding the cost of the hydraulics, or air bags, by getting the correct ramps for our higher beds.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, iddy said:

Big5er I wanted to ask you in most states is it civilian in the scale house. I know every time I've gone into a scale house in California the only ones in there where CHP. I'm just wondering how other states do it.

I belong to a couple old trucks groups. Don't even put Not For Hire--RV-etc. Nothing for them to ask questions about. This comes from DOT officers.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, Big5er said:

Either you ARE commercial or you ARE NOT. Do not do something that you do not need to do"just in case". If you do not need it do not confuse them by doing it. It is not better to have it. It makes them wonder why. 

And, unless the sign at that scale said every vehicle over xxx weight needed to stop, you should never have gone into the scale. Stay out of the scales unless specifically told to enter. First, it is likely that they will not chase you down and if they do, your story of "I'm an RV and didn't think I needed to" will go better with a real trooper than possibly a civilian scale house worker. 

BTW: Nice truck. Like Carl I am partial to red Volvos also

Belong to a couple old truck groups. Don't put Not For Hire---RV-etc. Nothing for them to ask questions about. This comes from DOT officers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same truck it's even red. I got it last April in Texas and drove it to Vermont. I got 9.7 mpg by the computer. I have removed the roof extention, the rear axle and the fifth wheel. I have put in a gooseneck hitch and pulled my trailer so I was happy for last summer. 

The only thing I didn't like about the I shift was it seems to go for too many gears at once, it's good on flat going or at speed but sometimes it drops too many rpms. It seemed better with the trailer on.  As I got used to it I was able to put it into manual and take it up a few hundred rpms before putting it back in auto. It doesn't have the manual shift button. Yet. 

I was impressed with how it will pull and how sharp it turns.

Archived