Now the fun part starts!

Moresmoke

Just got home with this. 2012, D11 with ishift, 412k.

Flew down to Memphis Wednesday. Once all the paperwork got done, and took care of a couple minor issues, it was a smooth trip home to North Dakota. Even lucked out and had dry roads all the way. I don't think it has ever seen much salt, and I would like to keep it that way.

As a side note, I got pulled around back at the scale in Jefferson SD.  Went inside, told the officer I had just bought it, and was going to set it up to haul an RV. He asked me if the truck was only for personal use (yes), if I worked in the oil field (no), then asked if it was for business use (no). Then went to check with his supervisor, asked again if it was for business at all, twice.  Then said I was good to go.

I had been filling out a log book that I brought in with me. He commented on it, I told him I figured it better to have a log than not. He never looked at it.

He seemed to be most worried about a fuel tax permit.

Anyway, time to get out the tape measure and start planning. I have a lot of work to get done before memorial day.

20180202_171245-400x533.jpg

Congratulations.  Nice, I’m partial to red.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Either you ARE commercial or you ARE NOT. Do not do something that you do not need to do"just in case". If you do not need it do not confuse them by doing it. It is not better to have it. It makes them wonder why. 

And, unless the sign at that scale said every vehicle over xxx weight needed to stop, you should never have gone into the scale. Stay out of the scales unless specifically told to enter. First, it is likely that they will not chase you down and if they do, your story of "I'm an RV and didn't think I needed to" will go better with a real trooper than possibly a civilian scale house worker. 

BTW: Nice truck. Like Carl I am partial to red Volvos also

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

19 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Either you ARE commercial or you ARE NOT. Do not do something that you do not need to do"just in case". If you do not need it do not confuse them by doing it. It is not better to have it. It makes them wonder why. 

And, unless the sign at that scale said every vehicle over xxx weight needed to stop, you should never have gone into the scale. Stay out of the scales unless specifically told to enter. First, it is likely that they will not chase you down and if they do, your story of "I'm an RV and didn't think I needed to" will go better with a real trooper than possibly a civilian scale house worker. 

Big5er I wanted to ask you in most states is it civilian in the scale house. I know every time I've gone into a scale house in California the only ones in there where CHP. I'm just wondering how other states do it.

national rally 2021.jpg

31 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Phil, There are 2 scales on I-29 that have had signs that say "ALL Vehicles over 10,000lbs"  I pull in and get waved thru.  But there are hot-shots moving hay bales, RV's, and everything else that don't run numbers thru there.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Congratulations!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Big5er, as someone else mentioned, SD has signs stating all vehicles over xxxx must enter. Some are 10000, this one was 8000. Some SD scales have signs that RVs are exempt, but not there.  Also have big lighted signs at the weigh in motion that come on and say this vehicle must enter scale.  At a certain point, if it looks like a truck, and quacks like a truck...

Now, once I have a bed with a Jeep on it, and the RV trailer behind, no I ain't stopping.

11 hours ago, iddy said:

Moresmoke that's the exact truck I want is it I-shift? She's a beaut. Does it have super singles? Love to hear about your build and pictures are always appreciated.

VNM630  Had to compromise and get the I shift for the wife to be on board. I will get used to it eventually. I would have preferred a u shift it, but the other half decreed she was not learning to shift. (I did get her to try a 13spd last fall, she did half decent for a first try.)

Yes it has super singles. I have previous experience with them driving commercially, and was never impressed. But I think that was mostly due to them being overinflated some of the time. I lowered these to 80 psi, and it seemed workable. I might be happier with the singles when I have a fairly steady load and can set the pressure accordingly.

The tires are something that can change in the future if I want. These have better than 50% tread, so I will be running them for a while.

I am sure pictures will be posted as the build moves forward.

Howdy Moresmoke,

Nice rig, please provide us with photos and commentary as you build it your way.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

17 hours ago, iddy said:

Big5er I wanted to ask you in most states is it civilian in the scale house. I know every time I've gone into a scale house in California the only ones in there where CHP. I'm just wondering how other states do it.

A lot of states, in an effort to either save money or better direct resources are civilianizing their scale operations. Look at some of the scales (the open ones) as you drive by...sometimes you will only see one marked unit there. He is the lucky guy that gets to issue the citations that the civilian inspectors find.  

6 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

Big5er, as someone else mentioned, SD has signs stating all vehicles over xxxx must enter. Some are 10000, this one was 8000. Some SD scales have signs that RVs are exempt, but not there. 

Well, that explains that. If it says you must then you must. Still a nice truck. I'm jealous of that I-shift.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have been lit up by the sign on numerous occasions. Since I am an rv and not a truck, and the sign says truck enter scales, I drive on by. Haven’t been chased down yet. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

VERY nice!

I hear that a 630 will allow the installation of the work station like what is in the 780. 
Does yours have a single or double bunk?

Congratulations.  Have fun, drive safe, wash hands often!

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

Congratulations, Now the fun begins.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

Stuff has started appearing on the front porch!

As a side note, it is always an adventure when you get a new to you piece of equipment.  On the way home, a couple times the engine didn't crank over quite like it should. Figured I'd pull the batteries, charge them individually, and load test them. All the battery connections were loose. Every single one. One battery shows 12.5 volts with a multi meter, but can't even trigger the relay in my load tester.

Anyone else have a pothole in the middle of the cab floor of their Volvo? Must've been a real big boy that drove this thing. The whole center of the floor where the gearshift would be is bent down.

20180207_143402-400x533.jpg

18 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

Anyone else have a pothole in the middle of the cab floor of their Volvo? Must've been a real big boy that drove this thing. The whole center of the floor where the gearshift would be is bent down.

As a matter of fact I also have a pot hole in mine. I was wondering if or what caused it.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

19 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

Stuff has started appearing on the front porch!

As a side note, it is always an adventure when you get a new to you piece of equipment.  On the way home, a couple times the engine didn't crank over quite like it should. Figured I'd pull the batteries, charge them individually, and load test them. All the battery connections were loose. Every single one. One battery shows 12.5 volts with a multi meter, but can't even trigger the relay in my load tester.

20180207_143402-400x533.jpg

My 780 had two pot holes, definitely the one where the manual shift would be, and one at the bottom of the ladder. 

The  cab floor had some rust issue at this point, the rest of the floor is great.

I had some sheets of 1/4 inch plate steel that I put under the mat and carpet to temporarily address this until I can find floor pans to replace the affected spots.

I am currently using the same ramps, I did have a problem with water infiltrating the long square tubes.  I had to drill some drain holes to let this accumulated water to escape.  Otherwise these ramps are great and very light considering.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

36 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

My 780 had two pot holes, definitely the one where the manual shift would be, and one at the bottom of the ladder. 

The  cab floor had some rust issue at this point, the rest of the floor is great.

I had some sheets of 1/4 inch plate steel that I put under the mat and carpet to temporarily address this until I can find floor pans to replace the affected spots.

I am currently using the same ramps, I did have a problem with water infiltrating the long square tubes.  I had to drill some drain holes to let this accumulated water to escape.  Otherwise these ramps are great and very light considering.

Michael

Thanks for letting me know about the water in the ramps issue, I will have to look into that.

Its good to know that I am not the only one with the floor issue.  I will see what can be done to fix it, but for right now there are other more pressing matters.

Archived