Domicile is very confusing to me

On 2/1/2018 at 1:13 AM, needHelp2RV2 said:

We never knew that it would be so hard to become a full timer RVer & have worry, be afraid that we are or will do something wrong that the government  thinks is illegal. All we want to do is  travel seeing the country & have a place to have our mail sent to where we will have access to it & when I read about escapee I thought I found the answer we were looking for but now maybe its not. This is  so confusing but it seems like there are thousands full timers on the road & none of them seem like they are nervous or worried that the government are thinking that they are trying to  get out of  paying what  they owe the government. Maybe we made the biggest mistake of our life thinking we could just travel & be happy  & enjoy life without having to worry about the upkeep & time consuming a house can be on a person. I never thought it would be this hard to live house-free & live with your home on wheels. Thank you for opening my eyes to  the problems I might be experiencing if we try to leave California. We are not trying to do anything illegal,  all we want to do is see this beautiful country  & enjoy all the beauty that is really out there before  we die..

Trying to get the subject back to where it is helpful to you, have you found anything helpful to you thus far? Let us know just where you are in the process and we can probably help as many of us have been through this. More than a few moved from CA to their chosen states. It is not correct to say that you have to return to TX for a vehicle inspection and FL does have some advantages. Let us know where you are in the process and what questions you still have. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Chris Roder said:

Can anyone shed some light on the preferable domicile state if one is below Medicare age? I wonder which states offer national health insurance for people below the age of 65.

Florida. Nina does amazing research and posted her results here: https://wheelingit.us/2017/10/31/health-insurance-time-2018-considerations-for-pre-medicare-rvers/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, Chris Roder said:

Can anyone shed some light on the preferable domicile state if one is below Medicare age? I wonder which states offer national health insurance for people below the age of 65.

If you plan on getting a health plan through the ACA (Affordable Care Act aka "Obamacare"), then you should know that the ACA considers where you actually reside, not necessarily your domicile, for purchasing health insurance. This fact is hard to swallow with some folks, especially bloggers and even health care "professionals".

For example, let's say you have a SD or TX ACA plan (which, by the way, would not be a national plan). Imagine you spend several winter months in FL --- which has nationwide health plans available. In this case, you should be eligible for a FL ACA health plan. For more info see SEP Guidelines and especially FAQs on the Marketplace Residency Requirement from the Dept of Health & Human Services.

If you plan on using the SEP (Special Enrollment Period), I would first suggest contacting www.healthcare.gov and referencing the above articles.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wtmtnhiker said:

There is a decent article here on domicile. Might be good reading even if you have decided against Florida.

Domicile article

The health insurance options through the ACA exchanges continue to change each year. The article referenced says it was last updated in 2015.  Any statements about health insurance may or may not still be valid. Now that the penalty for not having an ACA compliant health insurance plan have been discontinued, there may be other options available in some states for those not eligible for Medicare. Current research is likely needed to make an informed decision.

A member's profile only shows that they visited the forum if they are logged in. You do not have to log in to read the forum, only to post. If you uncheck the stay signed in block, you will be logged out when you leave the forum and when you return there will be no record or your return until you sign in again.

44 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

A member's profile only shows that they visited the forum if they are logged in. You do not have to log in to read the forum,

Good point. While most do sign in it is possible that they didn't so we might be wrong to assume it to mean they haven't read things. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived