cali registration

RKMoezee

I want to register a 630 in California but as far as i can tell there's no way unless i can get the GVW below 26001. If i take off one axle as far as i can tell that would be 32.5k 12.5 front axle and 20k rear axle. How do i get DMV to see the truck as 26k? Has anyone ever derate a HDT. Do i just tell them i want to register at this weight. I cant hardly expect California to be this easy. Has anyone used a upfitter to change weight rating? All of the regulations i have been reading in my limited understanding any thing above 26,000 is a commercial enterprise and the no way around it. Everything I've read there's no way you can meet the requirements.  Those anyone have experience with Ca registration and or derating a truck?

national rally 2021.jpg

A certified body builder can change the GWVR.  If the body cannot sustain the weight the axles can hold then the GVWR will be determined by the body builder and a new dataplate will be established. 

Note - certified means state certified.

I put a load bearing bed on my Volvo to make a Class E truck, not tractor.  The bed builder issued a new dataplate which he could have made 25,999 lbs.  I wanted is still to be a Class 7 so the dataplate was set at 31,500 lbs.

That was in Maryland.  I would guess most states have similar rules.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

You can not convert an HDT title to an RV title in CA (anymore).  You may be able to register an HDT that already has a converted title.  I am aware of a couple of people who have done this with a CA housecar title (previously converted) already in hand (since they stopped allowing the conversions directly).  I am not aware of anyone bringing in an out of state converted title and registering it recently, but the principle should be the same.  You can register it like any other HDT, but then you would be responsible for all the other issues that go along with that - weight fees, high annual registration costs, DOT numbers, CARB requirements, etc.  If you can find an upfitter willing to change the data plate to 26000 lbs or less, you could register it as a private truck (the CA code has exemptions for trucks under 26001 lbs for private use, but not for trucks with GVWR of 26001 lbs or greater).  If you can get it registered as a truck with a GVWR under 26001 lbs and use it exclusively for hauling a recreational 5th wheel, you would be exempt from CARB requirements (emissions) as well.  You would still be required to stop at scales though.  There really isn't a good answer for prospective HDT RVers in CA.  An M2 or similar vehicle with an HDT drive train - (like an M2 112 rated at 26000 lbs by the upfitter/seller) would be the best choice currently in CA.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten a truck yet but the more research I do on Cali registration the more I think a HDT is impossible in California. My plan B would be to look into registering in Nevada and working on it in Pahrump of course never bring it in to California. Does any one know the pit falls of this? What would Nevada say if stopped with California Dl? I had a thought of hauling it in to property i have access to and keeping there and converting but the logistics seems difficult. I need to take to Volvo to have things done. I got a couple of Ideas for plan C  and D but they seem even more inconvenient. Is it against the law to drive a truck registered in South Dakota with a California Dl? Thanks

national rally 2021.jpg

I heard someone recently did get a previous commercial truck registered in Cali as an RV, but they don't want to share with people how they did it? So not sure what's up with that? Maybe some strings were pulled? 

Iddy, that kind of stinks and I'm sorry I took a Cali truck out of CA. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

21 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

I heard someone recently did get a previous commercial truck registered in Cali as an RV, but they don't want to share with people how they did it? So not sure what's up with that? Maybe some strings were pulled? 

Iddy, that kind of stinks and I'm sorry I took a Cali truck out of CA. 

Dan good to hear from you. Don't worry about stealing my truck I'm enjoying following your adventures. Your living my dream brother. Seriously though you hear anything let me know and update your blog will ya.

national rally 2021.jpg

1 hour ago, iddy said:

Dan good to hear from you. Don't worry about stealing my truck I'm enjoying following your adventures. Your living my dream brother. Seriously though you hear anything let me know and update your blog will ya.

Yeah, our Blog is hopelessly behind, but we did just attend a seminar on blogs and I think we have a different direction to take.. We are doing better on our facebook page at least. - https://www.facebook.com/TwoWheelRamblin/ 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

On 1/31/2018 at 3:31 PM, Chad Heiser said:

You can not convert an HDT title to an RV title in CA (anymore).  You may be able to register an HDT that already has a converted title.  I am aware of a couple of people who have done this with a CA housecar title (previously converted) already in hand (since they stopped allowing the conversions directly).  I am not aware of anyone bringing in an out of state converted title and registering it recently, but the principle should be the same.  You can register it like any other HDT, but then you would be responsible for all the other issues that go along with that - weight fees, high annual registration costs, DOT numbers, CARB requirements, etc.  If you can find an upfitter willing to change the data plate to 26000 lbs or less, you could register it as a private truck (the CA code has exemptions for trucks under 26001 lbs for private use, but not for trucks with GVWR of 26001 lbs or greater).  If you can get it registered as a truck with a GVWR under 26001 lbs and use it exclusively for hauling a recreational 5th wheel, you would be exempt from CARB requirements (emissions) as well.  You would still be required to stop at scales though.  There really isn't a good answer for prospective HDT RVers in CA.  An M2 or similar vehicle with an HDT drive train - (like an M2 112 rated at 26000 lbs by the upfitter/seller) would be the best choice currently in CA.

Chad thanks for the reply. I talked to a truck frame shop today in Reno Nevada that said sure they could take out the splitter axle and certify the truck for 26k said they do this all the time single trucks and re-certify the weight. But usually they add a 23k axle and certify it for 35.5k but after I told him what i wanted he said sure. I thought i would take the truck to Nevada to single leave there and register in Ca. before bringing truck in in case I've missed something. I wonder if anyone has done this before and could share there experience?. To register in CA. i need the vin certified can someone in Nevada do that for CA? Do i need paperwork from up-fitter or just the certified door sticker? Does anyone have any experience with this process. I think the truck needs registered before I can bring it in and on top of that if I've forgotten something I would rather find out about it in Nevada that at the first scales in CA.  I know I keep bringing this subject up but really don't want to break any laws. I'm just trying to think of a way to do this legal. Thanks

national rally 2021.jpg

The VIN verification for CA has to be done in CA by a certified VIN inspector or a law enforcement officer on a CA state specific form.  I would have both the door sticker and the paperwork for the verification process.  It’s better to be over prepared and not need it than to not have some documents that might help.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

In california, its all about who you lnow to get things done !  Like DOT and Carrirer Permits !  There are companies in california that do these service for you with DMV and seem to get things done that are strange.  After a while i stopped asking questions and companies handle it.  I have a runner person that does all my DMV stuff and stuff happens !  I spent nearly a yeat to get stuff registered with DMV with no luck and tons of time wasted.  Hired a conpany, 500.00 dollars later and 3 weeks, all done !!  Argh !!  

Chad thanks I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Have the door sticker, you mean have the new weight sticker stuck to the truck? and the paper work? you mean the VIN verification paper work from DMV web site? Can I drive this truck in CA with just the title and a bill of sale for x amount of days until first operatuanty to register like 30days? Won't the title show the old weight? Does the upfitter change title or is that what i'll be doing at DMV? I know alot of questions but i really not sure of process. Pug can you name the agency? It took you a year to register a HDT or other things? Thanks guys for the reply's Anyone done a weight change?

national rally 2021.jpg

2 hours ago, iddy said:

Chad thanks I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Have the door sticker, you mean have the new weight sticker stuck to the truck? and the paper work? you mean the VIN verification paper work from DMV web site? Can I drive this truck in CA with just the title and a bill of sale for x amount of days until first operatuanty to register like 30days? Won't the title show the old weight? Does the upfitter change title or is that what i'll be doing at DMV? I know alot of questions but i really not sure of process. Pug can you name the agency? It took you a year to register a HDT or other things? Thanks guys for the reply's Anyone done a weight change?

I meant have the new weight/door/whatever sticker you get from the upfitter and whatever paperwork you get from the upfitter.  The sticker should be in place where it belongs on the truck and the paperwork would be to back up the new sticker.  

While in theory this should all work, I would ask some questions at DMV before I went down this road too far to make sure it will also work in practice.  Basically you are trying to turn an HDT into an MDT for purposes of licensing and registration.  You want your converted HDT to be no different than the Sport Chassis or FL60 we have all seen pulling RV’s and this is what I would ask DMV about.  Showing that you have singled the axles, removed the commercial hitch, installed a bed, etc. to further this process should help.

The laws are clear that there are exemptions for vehicles rated 26000 lbs or less.  But I can’t find anything in the law about changing ratings.  We all know factories can arbitrarily assign lower GVWR ratings to a vehicle that don’t necessarily match the equipment installed on the vehicle.  A licensed and certified upfitter should be able to do the same, but it is usually done to increase the ratings not decrease them when aftermarket equipment is installed.

As for driving the vehicle in CA before it is registered/titled in your name, you can do that with no issue.  The vehicle should have current/valid registration from the previous owner.  You then have a set number of days to notify DMV of the change of ownership.  During this time, you can drive it under the old registration (keep a copy of the bill of sale with you to show that you purchased it and are in the process of changing ownership).  However, while it is titled/registered as a commercial vehicle you will have to follow the commercial rules to drive it in CA.

event.png    

8 hours ago, Pug said:

In california, its all about who you lnow to get things done !  Like DOT and Carrirer Permits !  There are companies in california that do these service for you with DMV and seem to get things done that are strange.  After a while i stopped asking questions and companies handle it.  I have a runner person that does all my DMV stuff and stuff happens !  I spent nearly a yeat to get stuff registered with DMV with no luck and tons of time wasted.  Hired a conpany, 500.00 dollars later and 3 weeks, all done !!  Argh !!  

I am also very curious how you registered/titled your truck and who you went through as an agent.  You might make a few other CA wannabe HDT’ers very happy with this information.  I understand if you don’t want to share in an open internet forum and would be happy to talk to you about it off line or privately (maybe even in person at the WCR if you can make it).

event.png    

I have not done it with a truck ....  Our trucks have to have USDOT and CA MCP numbers since they are for business use, but even that took a 3 hours knowing the right people.  I do not know how the process works besides granting power of attorney and let them do their thing.  Title and all paperwork looks like another, all your information including any needed title holder.  They are worth looking into and asking costs nothing.  I have gotten to the point that I refuse to show up at DMV unless its something for driver license, I have my person do it all.  Some may say its expensive, but my time and stress control while sitting in a chair waiting an hour for something I have an appointment for it more valuable and keep earning while she does it.

OK, I thought you meant you had titled an HDT as an RV in CA recently through a service.  I understand now.  Thanks for the response.

event.png    

Thanks Chad and Pug. I just wanted to make sure I understood completely. Today I called a frame shop in Sacramento and ask about changing the GVW and singling and he told me absolutely not in CA. He said he use to do a lot of them but the state came in a gave him a cease and decease order and he said there's no way in Ca to do it. He knew exactly what I wanted to do. He did also tell me he didn't think you could do it Federally but I've been looking all over title 49 and I can't find it though. Also I pulled off the DMV for CA REG 4008 the form you need to give to DMV to declare weight so I'm confused again. Chad i was wanting to come to the WCR but my boss claimed the time off before I could. May still do it. Would love to talk to CA HDTers about there trials and tribulations. Thanks for all the input. Probably going for plan C in a couple years as soon as i figure out what plan C is. Is there some one to pay to give you the straight scoop?Iddy

national rally 2021.jpg

The top 50 reasons to leave California are... 1. California, 2. California, 3. California............50. California!  It has consistently been the origination and author of "the logic free zone".

So maybe it is easier to just transfer parts off of an HDT to my dually. Such as the engine, cab, frame, trans, diff, but not the plate and vin tag.......

I guess this confirms Cali logic is cought up in a spiral of.people making rules that have no understanding that don't know, don't  care, and don"t care to know about the subject they make rules about.  

I share your pain - desiring to purchase an HDT ....

Now why would it be un-constitutional to de-rate a vehicle?.  I can buy a 16k trailer from.Big Tex etc and they will create it down to 9999 for original.registration in kali.

Need to drain the swamp.

9 hours ago, HDT-wannabe said:

The top 50 reasons to leave California are... 1. California, 2. California, 3. California............50. California!  It has consistently been the origination and author of "the logic free zone".

So maybe it is easier to just transfer parts off of an HDT to my dually. Such as the engine, cab, frame, trans, diff, but not the plate and vin tag.......

I guess this confirms Cali logic is cought up in a spiral of.people making rules that have no understanding that don't know, don't  care, and don"t care to know about the subject they make rules about.  

I share your pain - desiring to purchase an HDT ....

Now why would it be un-constitutional to de-rate a vehicle?.  I can buy a 16k trailer from.Big Tex etc and they will create it down to 9999 for original.registration in kali.

Need to drain the swamp.

Kalifornia swamp is drained.......fewer and fewer HDT-RV's in the..........K--Swamp.....

Drive on.......(just RV with a DOT and CDL in Kalifornia.......$imple)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Why worry about playing the game by the “unfriendly” Cali rules!

Just buy the truck,  get it registered in the state of your choice (not Cali) as a RV or private truck and bring it home. Lots of Cali residents seem to be getting away with it and boasting about it.  So far no LEO’s or DMV officials are knocking at their door claiming you are violating a “garage rule” or some such thing.

Some folks have even been resently successful in registering a brand new HDT in Cali as an RV. Unfortunately they choose to not “share” on how this was accomplished.  Your mind can wonder with all of the “how’s, what’s and whys”.

You take your chances.... kinda like towing doubles, or towing a trailer that is over weight for your class of license.  Or being overloaded for your tow vehicle.  Better yet how about the folks towing over length or over width.... you see it everyday.  I guess it only counts if you get caught!  Then you can try to explain your way out to Mr LEO.

...... something about asking for “forgiveness” instead of permission or something like that!

Nomex on....let the games begin!

So what possible motivation does CA have to make this so difficult?  Anyone know what is driving them?

1. Just total ignorance - they just don't realize the difficulty created.

2. All diesels should be done away with - let's keep this off the road

3. It's about collecting fees.

4. it's not.safe 

5. if we allow this in Kali - everyone will be doing this and we have to keep these diesel beasts off the road.

Hmmmmm, now did they ever stop to think when an HDT is converted to an RV, it's new use model is such a small percentage of a commercial truck driven mileage. I would say less than 5%. So wouldn't it be better to convert these to RV's effectively and instantly reducing emissions of that truck to 1/20 of DOT users model. Why don't we allow them to be safe and enjoy themselves!

Who sets these policies in Kali?

You must be new here..... this horse has been ridden hard, put up wet  and repeated over and over and over.  Do yourself a favor and do a search on the subject and read the history of why it is the way it is in Cali.  Otherwise you will make some folks repeat  themselves over and over and over trying to educate the “how and why” HDTs are not allowed  to be converted to a RV in Cali unless you have the “ secret info”.

We bought a dual rear axle 2010 Freightliner in Minn last week.  It was registered and titled there as a MH.  No bed at all, just rails (commercial hitch off and 5th wheel hitch on) Bought a toaster oven, porta pot and $50 cigarette lighter powered cooler for a fridge)

Brought it to a VIN verifier here this Monday, and asked them to register it as a MH in CA for us.  They seemed to think it was doable and we should know by Fri if they are successful.

Don't have the paperwork in front of me but know the GVWR was over 30K.

Will let you know what the final verdict is soon!!

Interesting ride home bobtail.  Spent the night in Tucumcari NM, thinking we had outrun an ice storm.  Woke up to thick sheet ice.  Did some practice slides in an empty parking lot. Never miss an opportunity to learn something new!

Then, let it melt (by 9AM) on the road.  We counted 12 semi's jackknifed within the first 30 miles out of Tucumcari!!!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

1 hour ago, Brad NSW said:

We bought a dual rear axle 2010 Freightliner in Minn last week.  It was registered and titled there as a MH.  No bed at all, just rails (commercial hitch off and 5th wheel hitch on) Bought a toaster oven, porta pot and $50 cigarette lighter powered cooler for a fridge)

Brought it to a VIN verifier here this Monday, and asked them to register it as a MH in CA for us.  They seemed to think it was doable and we should know by Fri if they are successful.

Don't have the paperwork in front of me but know the GVWR was over 30K.

Will let you know what the final verdict is soon!!

Interesting ride home bobtail.  Spent the night in Tucumcari NM, thinking we had outrun an ice storm.  Woke up to thick sheet ice.  Did some practice slides in an empty parking lot. Never miss an opportunity to learn something new!

Then, let it melt (by 9AM) on the road.  We counted 12 semi's jackknifed within the first 30 miles out of Tucumcari!!!

I wish you the best of luck.  I have been waiting for someone to try this (bring an out of state HDT “motorhome” and register it in CA) since Brakken Tax and License stopped providing this service several years ago.  I know of a couple previously converted in state “motorhomes” changing owners, but not one from out of state.  It should be the same principle and hopefully it works for you.  If it does, it will make some other people very happy.

event.png    

Archived