HDT pursuit

HDT-wannabe

Hi,

I just thought I would introduce myself.  I've been reading this site for 10+ years and finally joined!!!

It is a great site with lots of good people and knowledge that is world leading in this area.

Currently, I have a 1995 Dodge 3500 that I used to pull a 7k fifthwheel for 15 yrs and 2 years ago we moved up to a 36' Alpenlite at about 15k loaded.  I've never felt we were well balanced wrt the Dodge LDT pulling that load ( I know lots of people do it but....I like over capability and the LDT certainly is not excess machine).

So I've been reading following the HDT's for a yr now and plan to move to an HDT when a good deal presents itself.  I'm still working full time so my use of it will be limited to - 4 weeks a yr for the near term - but I believe the quality of the road trip goes up considerably - so I think it is worth going this route.  

Since I'm a light user at this time  I'll have to go in on the the older trucks to make this work and justify what I'm spending. Most likely looking for a truck already registered as a motor home/ converted.

I see a lot of upside and of course there are compromises as well.  One thing I did learn is if your on a trip and your pushing the limits of your truck - it is no fun.a t best.  Stress does away with any enjoyment so that drives me to this. Plus they appear to be fascinating machines!

Best rgds.

Paul

Welcome Paul

If you can try to get to one of the rallies.  You will get to ride in a few trucks if you want just ask the owner and if one of the dealers is there you will get to drive.  The next one is in Crossville Tn. in April but it is getting close to full if you are looking for a site but several of us will be there most of the month if you want to pick our brains and go for a drive.  At last years rally there were trucks that were purchased from 5 to 150 thousand so you don’t have to spend a lot.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Hi I'd really like to go to a rally - that's getting out of the virtual world and really getting a feel for things.

I'm in Sacramento and I think the next eally on the west coast is in Caldwell Idaho.  

Definitely it's tough to even look at trucks without a rally.

In the meantime I'll keep reading and learning - with emphasis on how to evaluate condition prior to purchase.

Thx

25 minutes ago, HDT-wannabe said:

Hi I'd really like to go to a rally - that's getting out of the virtual world and really getting a feel for things.

I'm in Sacramento and I think the next dally on the west coast is in Caldwell Idaho.  

Defiantly it's tough to even look at trucks without a rally.

In the meantime I'll keep reading and learning - with emphasis on how to evaluate condition prior to purchase.

Thx

Welcome to the forum.  The closest rally to you will definitely be the WCR in Caldwell in June.  I am the one coordinating the rally this year and would be happy to answer any questions.  We don't live too far from one another either.  I reside in Lake County, a little to the west of you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Welcome, you are doing almost the same thing I did except I was thinking MDT then learned and realized for what I wanted the hDT would work out better. I read and soaked in all I could and waited and watched and then a truck with the Smart came up for sale and with some minor convincing from members here we took the plunge. Take your time and keep watching here and you might get lucky too,

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Thx all for the encouraging words. I'm quite energized about this preparation - it's been on my "want-to-do-but-how" for a few years now!

And Chad - yes we are not too far apart! Also I looked at your KW and that is a compact HDT -and looks like it has great visibility (windows) which for a newbie is appealing and certainly has a lower intimidation factor to start with. What is the wheelbase on it?

One thing I'm curious about is the emissions requirements - for CA?

Can anyone set me straight on the requirements for CA compliance as a motorhome title? Ànd does that allow an opportunity where it is no longer feasible to convert a commercial vehicle to current emission standards but the truck may meet motor ho.e requirements?   The answer to this may dictate what I look for.

I had also read there was an advantage to 2007 or older trucks from less emissions complexity?

Thx

Paul

Paul I have a real nice Volvo 610.   I am thinking of selling . It's a 1999 with a cummins n14  , 370 hp , 10 speed , tslb trailer saver air ride hitch, new leather air ride seats , three sets of seat belts in sleeper and already registerd and licended as a motor home here in Ohio . has a 9 ft  hauler style bed . verry nice looking  truck , runs verry well ,  and drives nice . you can contact me at 513-307-7007 for pics and info . Tim

10 hours ago, HDT-wannabe said:

Thx all for the encouraging words. I'm quite energized about this preparation - it's been on my "want-to-do-but-how" for a few years now!

And Chad - yes we are not too far apart! Also I looked at your KW and that is a compact HDT -and looks like it has great visibility (windows) which for a newbie is appealing and certainly has a lower intimidation factor to start with. What is the wheelbase on it?

One thing I'm curious about is the emissions requirements - for CA?

Can anyone set me straight on the requirements for CA compliance as a motorhome title? Ànd does that allow an opportunity where it is no longer feasible to convert a commercial vehicle to current emission standards but the truck may meet motor ho.e requirements?   The answer to this may dictate what I look for.

I had also read there was an advantage to 2007 or older trucks from less emissions complexity?

Thx

Paul

The wheelbase on my truck is 194".  I prefer a short wheelbase truck for maneuverability.  There are many issues with CA registration that have been discussed on the forum.  I'm heading into a meeting right now so I don't have time to get into them, but I can go over them with you later.  It might be easier to do with a phone call if you would like to PM me with a way to contact you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Paul

I can tell you my experience. I had a 2000 ford PSD 7.3 F350 single wheel pulling 13000 pound fifth. It pulled unless there where  hills then take overdrive off and go 50 MPH. Then I got a MDT Frelghtliner 2-106 300 HP Cat with eaton ultrashift transmission. Better brakes, fuel mileage down to 8.5 MPG but horrible rough  ride. Sold it and got 2017 Volvo 630 and 2017 New Horizons fifth weighing 19000 pounds.

Way quieter than my Ford diesel, WAY better ride and 9 MPG pulling a more heavy rid. You decide. Good luck!

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Welcome to the forum! If you can make it to the WCR in June you could check out some of the HDT there. Lots of info and Chad does a great job of organizing the event. Also, Chad can give you some of the most accurate info for using a HDT for RV use in CA. 

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a wannabe at this point too. I am reading what I can and talking to folks.  I recently learned a fellow coworker used to drive big trucks for a living.  He is also a great mechanic / trouble shooter.  I have learned a few things just from talking with him.  Another fellow I used to work with recently went back to driving professionally.  His insight on a few things also educated me.

I believe your last sentence in your first post above it the clincher.  Big trucks are just cool!

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

Archived