D12 losing fuel prime

chooseopen

So an update,  I believed the truck was losing prime, causing the no start.  I thought I had the truck fixed after several attempts and parts replaced in the fuel system and Davco filter assembly.  

When traveling over spring break, I had another no start in a Way-Mart parking lot.  No matter how much I pumped the primer, I could not get the truck to start. When the truck failed to start, the Autoshift display would blink the red service lamp.

I was able to contact A L B Diesel and Auto repair, and after explaining what I had been experiencing with the intermittent no start, Stan diagnosed the problem as electrical not fuel related.

Some time in the life of the truck, the 12volt leads from the battery to the ECM and TCM, someone had connected them using wire nuts, and not solder and heat shrink.

Once the leads were soldered back together this no start issue has not returned.

Thanks A L B Diesel,

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

• 9 months later...

Question for darryl    we have d12 that does not have a primer and the bleeder on top of filter adapter has no fuel comin out when turnin engine over    volvo replaced pump and drive assem 2200 miles ago    davco filter will not stay full and dont fuel leaking anywhere    any suggestions on what mite be problem   

Are you having starting or running problems?

If the filter in the Davao is clean you will only see a little at the bottom.  As the filter gets dirty the fuel will rise and when it gets near the top it is time to change.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Brushing the pesky red dot off my chest. There's others here that know D12's better than me. I'm more of a N14 man, and B series Cummins. Off the top of my head, there's a rubber coupling between the pump and engine. Very slight chance it's been chewed up. Higher chance you've got a leak somewhere, and fuel is siphoning back to the tanks. This could be on an o-ring, a loose fitting, or a pinhole in a fuel line. You likely won't see a leak of this type, unless you put a little pressure on the tanks. Think ounces of pressure, not psi.

First we need to know what you've done so far, and the results.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I had an issue with the o-ring on the cap of a Davco.  It let just enough air in to drain the filter back to the tank overnight.  It was a real bugger to find.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net