Need help finding general delivery location

Blues

22 hours ago, daveward said:

This is in Danville, CA 94526 near US-680.  The website shows general delivery under on-site services rather than on-line services.  That link has their phone number as well. 

Well I'll be damned.  "General delivery" in the on-site services is back.  That's what I was looking for all along, and it had disappeared completely, including locations that I knew accepted general delivery. 

Like Chandler, Arizona, which I linked to above.  It didn't have "general delivery" in the list of services last Friday, and now it does.  I also checked a couple of others that didn't have it, and now they do.

However...I looked for general delivery in Amarillo, Texas, and every post office there has "general delivery" in the on-site services, and I know that's not right.  When I used Barb's method of looking up a zip code to find general delivery, it gave 79105, which is the main post office downtown, which I would expect.

When I tried that using 79120, the zip code for one of the branches that also lists "general delivery" in the on-site services, I got the same "79105" general delivery address I got searching only for Amarillo with no zip code.

And I tried it for Austin, too, and the branches in the capitol building and at UT both have "general delivery" in the on-site services, and I'm quite sure they don't do general delivery,  just because most branches don't, and both of these are less than a mile from the downtown post office, which is the zip code given for general delivery.

Then again, I did find some random branches that don't list general delivery, so it's not like a computer glitch has it appearing in every post office listing.

So it looks like it's still broken, but in a different way.  Oh well.  At least for the time being, I can get a lead on a general delivery location by doing a couple of different searches, which is better than nothing. 

And for sure I'm going to call first.  I did that with a location yesterday, and the guy kind of treated me like an idiot, but that's better than not understanding where it's supposed to go and where I'm supposed to pick it up.  I'll also note that on the initial recording, the hours it gave for that post office were different from what was listed on the website.  Sigh.

In the last 2 years when I have called a post office to inquire about general delivery they have inquired about how long I intend to be in the area.  I don't have a problem with the post office asking me.  If I am going to be in the area I should get a PO Box

It seems to me if a person is going to be in the same location for a month or longer, they should get a PO Box and pay for it.

Some people grumble about the post office running a deficit each year, but expect them to provide free general delivery for 2-6 months instead to providing some legitimate revenue to them. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

13 hours ago, Sehc said:

My understanding is I need a permanent street address to get a Post Office Box. The shortest lease on a PO Box is 6 months.

You don't have a domicile to give them an address?

I was in the post office in Borrego Springs, CA to pick up my general delivery mail and the PO Boxes were available for 3 months and I think for 2 months.  

Of course it could vary by location. 

If the individual post office doesn't have PO Boxes, then hopefully they won't restrict longer term general delivery.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived