Escapees Roadside Assistance

Kirk W

Same question as Kristin above.

We are nearing the end of the term on our Good Sam Roadside assistance. We've only used it a couple of times but they have done a good job when we needed them.

With SKP's being about $30 less expensive I am considering a change over, but could sure use a little feedback from those that have done so . 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/15/2019 at 7:03 PM, kristinalaska said:

Please! Follow up... Has anyone used Escapes Roadside Assistance?

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

Same question as Kristin above.

With 6 months having passed since the last post, I'd try creating a new thread to see if that doesn't get better response.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I never got any response... which makes me skeptical by itself...

But I did learn this, by calling SafeRide Motor Club directly --

If your roadside assistance membership now includes everything you own, like mine does ( motor home and car in Arizona, 4WD truck and Subaru in Alaska, as well as two old trailers -- one for storage and another an antique Aitrstream which is not self contained but does have a bed), then you must buy TWO full membership plans from Escapees instead of the one I have now with Coach Net. So automatically the cost is much more with Escapees.

If all your rigs still add up to just one with room for a bed or beds, then you only need one plan and it will be cheaper. But if you haul a 5th wheel with a truck that includes a sleeping area, even if the bed has been removed, then you need two plans. The number of plans depends on the space for a bed!

For me, Coach Net has been tried and true, no matter what "thing with wheels" I call them about, never a penny of charge to me. And there have been plenty of tire changes, tows, jump starts, and other issues.  So I renewed with them, even though the Escapees plan seemed pretty good.

I love Escapees, and still want to learn more about their Roadside Assistance service! Who has needed it and what happened?

Escapees is a great club but I am also a member of FMCA, and they also use SafeRide. I just signed up last month thru FMCA for only $69 a year (Escapees is $99) and they cover my rig, tow and Harley. Haven’t had a need to use it yet. FMCA membership is $50 a year to renew (I paid $60 to join my first year) and Escapees is $40. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 4/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, kristinalaska said:

If your roadside assistance membership now includes everything you own, like mine does ( motor home and car in Arizona, 4WD truck and Subaru in Alaska, as well as two old trailers -- one for storage and another an antique Aitrstream which is not self contained but does have a bed), then you must buy TWO full membership plans from Escapees instead of the one I have now with Coach Net. So automatically the cost is much more with Escapees.

If all your rigs still add up to just one with room for a bed or beds, then you only need one plan and it will be cheaper. But if you haul a 5th wheel with a truck that includes a sleeping area, even if the bed has been removed, then you need two plans. The number of plans depends on the space for a bed!

This is correct. With Saferide, a single policy will cover all of your motorized vehicles EXCEPT it only covers one vehicle w/sleeping quarters. So, if you pull your 5th wheel with a medium duty truck that has a sleeper cab, you will need a separate policy for each the 5th wheel and the tow vehicle. I'm happy to see they gave you the correct information the first time, as there was some confusion with this when we first started with Saferide.

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

Yes, both Escapees and FMCA use Saferide as their roadside assistance.

I can't speak to how FMCA got their member rate. However, the only way we would be able to get our cost (to the member) down to match their rate is by subsidizing it with other members' dues, which we won't do. We don't expect all members to pay into something only a portion of members want to use.

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 6:07 PM, Kirk W said:

With 6 months having passed since the last post, I'd try creating a new thread to see if that doesn't get better response.

Well?  I’m thinking about getting a yearly plan.  The SKP plan being $99 a year vs Coach Nets $179 a year.  I will also look into if USAA or Progressive offers roadside plans. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

12 hours ago, rynosback said:

Not a big deal, but going up to $75 per year effective 5-1-19

Including the annual cost of membership in each group, that will make FMCA's roadside service plan effectively $14 less than the SKP's plan. In my opinion, that leaves it up to how each of us values the other benefits offered by each group in determining the best value overall.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Including the annual cost of membership in each group, that will make FMCA's roadside service plan effectively $14 less than the SKP's plan. In my opinion, that leaves it up to how each of us values the other benefits offered by each group in determining the best value overall.

How is it $14 less?  FCMA has a yearly membership cost of $60.    My Escapees membership fee does not count as I need it for my mailing service.

Edited by rynosback

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

How is it $14 less?  FCMA has a yearly membership cost of $60.    My Escapees membership fee does not count as I need it for my mailing service.

FMCA is $60 for the first year only, and $50/yr after that. Right now, they're waiving the $10 initiation for new members as well, making it $50 for them too. I included the membership fees to calculate the actual out of pocket difference for the ERS, but of course the other benefits such as the mail service they both offer, do play into deciding which group better fits your needs regardless of the difference in ERS costs.

Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

FMCA is $60 for the first year only, and $50/yr after that. Right now, they're waiving the $10 initiation for new members as well, making it $50 for them too. I included the membership fees to calculate the actual out of pocket difference for the ERS, but of course the other benefits such as the mail service they both offer, do play into deciding which group better fits your needs regardless of the difference in ERS costs.

I was not aware that they had a mailing service option.  I thought they just offered roadside assistance and discounts for certain vendors.

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

I was not aware that they had a mailing service option.  I thought they just offered roadside assistance and discounts for certain vendors.

I suspect it is an affiliation with a third-party SD mail service, although they don't spell that out.

https://www.fmca.com/fmca-mail-forwarding

On edit: Oops! I see they do show that it's "Your Best Address" in Sioux Falls, SD.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I suspect it is an affiliation with a third-party SD mail service, although they don't spell that out.

https://www.fmca.com/fmca-mail-forwarding

On edit: Oops! I see they do show that it's "Your Best Address" in Sioux Falls, SD.

I read on there website that they offered a SD address. The big plus to me about Escapees is that I have a SD & TX mailing addresses.  And lol of my retirement and investment accounts all excepted the TX mailing address.  Where my previous SD address with Teri Lund was kicked back because of the Patriot Act. Also having a Box Elder address avoids the wheel tax.  Like an $80 savings a year. 

Edited by rynosback

7 hours ago, rynosback said:

I read on there website that they offered a SD address. The big plus to me about Escapees is that I have a SD & TX mailing addresses.  And lol of my retirement and investment accounts all excepted the TX mailing address.  Where my previous SD address with Teri Lund was kicked back because of the Patriot Act. Also having a Box Elder address avoids the wheel tax.  Like an $80 savings a year. 

Now that's what I meant by  evaluating the total benefits offered by a group in selecting which to join for the SafeRide ERS plan rather than just the difference in plan cost. Of course it's also possible to join both groups, as many do...

Dutch

• 9 months later...

My first experience with 'saferide' thru escapees is underway. More problems than I will enumerate for now, but I am in a KOA park with tow vehicle in shop nearby. Took 5 hours to get 2 tows thru 'saferide'. There was never any SafeRide employee at the numbers called.  SafeRide claims they have 4 redundant call centers, but they direct me to a number that is NOT them. And, the unnamed 3rd party calling service handles 90! different programs and has no clue who SafeRide is. I can not get a copy of what my services are supposed to be, printer was broken the day I signed up. I get no replies to email requests. Escapees doesn't care. 'SafeRide" customer service is closed weekends. Call to claims number gets a voicemail response saying see your contract for how to file a claim. No way to see contract. 

I'll have more to say later if we ever get back on the road home and don't get stuck for more towing charges.

Lousy customer service at Escapees - Don't care. Refer you to 'SafeRide' who won't respond.

No customer service at 'SafeRide'. Are they even a real entity?

No idea who the real 3rd party is who answers some calls.

WOW!

Edited by daveandmary
typos, format clean up

13 minutes ago, daveandmary said:

My first experience with 'saferide' thru escapees is underway. More problems than I will enumerate for now,

but I am in a KOA park with tow vehicle in shop nearby. Took 5 hours to get 2 tows thru 'saferide'. There was never any SafeRide employee at the numbers called.  SafeRide claims they have 4 redundant call centers, but they don't

direct me to a number that is NOT them. And, the unnamed 3rd party calling service handles 90! different

programs and has no clue who SafeRide is. I can not get a copy of what my services are supposed to be, printer was broken and day I signed up. I get no replies to email requests. Escapees doesn't care. 'SafeRide" customer service

is closed weekends. Call to claims number gets a voicemail response saying see your contract for how to file a

claim. No way to see contract. 

I'll have more to say later if we ever get back on the road home and don't get stuck for more towing charges.

Lousy customer service at Escapees - Don't care.

No customer service at 'SafeRide'. Are they even a real entity?

No idea who the real 3rd party is who answers some calls.

WOW!

That is really bad to hear, and I hope that you get it resolved.  We considered changing over to Escapees Roadside Assistance at our last renewal but ultimately decided not to based on a couple of so-so reports.  Good luck with getting things sorted out and thank you for the first-hand experience. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences, @daveandmary. From your comments, you're right- your experience doesn't align with the service promised.
I've notified our CEO about your situation so he can follow up with our liaison at SafeRide to see what's going on, and will let you know as soon as I hear back.  You're welcome to send me a message with any additional details, if you'd like. 

Thank you for sharing, and I hope we can help make this right for you.

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg