Escapees Roadside Assistance

Kirk W

Any new ( update) comments concerning Escapees Roadside Assistance.  We have been with GS since 2014 but have not had to use it so I have nothing to compare to. Our GS policy has expired so we will be obtaining Roadside Assistance prior to our up coming travels. Trying to decide if to switch to Escapees.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/15/2018 at 2:01 PM, Twotoes said:

I have roadside assistance with my insurance and with my extended warranty but both denied to pay for a winch out when my rear passenger wheel slipped into a ditch on the side of the road ($300). They said roadside service is for mechanical breakdowns only. Does the Escapees plan cover winch outs. Does the FMCA plan, Good Sam or Coach Net cover winch out.

Never got an answer. Hello Escapees. If you are going to market a member benefit then give us the details of the coverage. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We made the switch from CoachNet to Escapees. Haven't needed it yet and wouldn't mind if we never need it. One difference we've noted is that we haven't yet received any sort of membership card. We were able to print out a paper that had our membership number and the phone number to call, and those are the most important items. We keep that paper in the car because if the motor home breaks down the car will be attached, while the car could break down somewhere far away from the MH.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

One difference we've noted is that we haven't yet received any sort of membership card. We were able to print out a paper that had our membership number and

This is something  that aggravates me about CoachNet also.  I just renewed and they say print out your ID card.  Well I have no way of doing that.  Last year I contacted them explaining that and they said they would send me one but I never got it.  I still have the orignal and I write down the renewal info and dates and tape it to the old card.  It works but I don't really like it.  Heck, I would pay them an extra dollar to send me a new one each time but that is not likely to happen.  I have used them several times and while it did not always go as smoothly as advertized the ultimate outcome was good and I am happy with their service.  Sometimes the little things get ignored by business at that is irritating.

(climbing off the box now)

14 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Never got an answer. Hello Escapees. If you are going to market a member benefit then give us the details of the coverage. 

Management does not monitor the forums. Contact the office and they will be happy to answer your questions.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have AAA service.  I believe it is called "premier" plan.  It covers all my vehicles, including my RV, and my wife and I are also covered for any vehicle we are traveling in.  We used it once when traveling with a friend.  We had a car with some mechanical issues and used it several times.  We used it once with the RV.  We were over 100 miles from the nearest town, down a dirt road and in a camping area.  It took a couple of hours but otherwise there was no problem with the service.  I believe the AAA service is a bit over $100 per year.  Are there advantages to the plans which are designed exclusively for RV travel? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, Georgianne said:

I have an answer from Ed:

This hardly ever comes up but there is no problem on medium duty because they do not usually have ‘sleeping quarters’. Some HD trucks do have ‘sleeping quarters’.  It has been our policy that if the vehicle has sleeping quarters it is an RV and the towable unit is also an RV so 2 policies. Only 1 RV per policy.  Still this combined cost of $189/yr is far below what they would pay in the marketplace.

So, if your HDT also has a sleeper cab, you will need a second policy for it. If it does not, you are fine with a single policy.

Howdy!

Well it seems the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing over at Saferride or Escapees Roadside Assistance. I called today to signup for the new Escapees RSA as my CN will expire the 15 of May. I advised the lady there had been some confusion earlier regarding my MDT but had been in formed over the Escapees Forum that my MDT was covered if it did not have a sleeping quarters. She stated that if my MDT required a heavy duty tow truck to tow it I would have to have two separate policies one for the MDT and one for the 5er RV. 

I would love to support the Escapees I’m a Lifetime member but this is rediculious and I guess I stick with Coach Net.

” Happy Trails’

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've poked around on both the Escapees and SafeRide sites, trying to find a downloadable pdf of "the fine print" that they give you when you sign up.  In the past, I was able to find online pdfs of both the Good Sam and the CoachNet plans.  No luck on the new Escapees plan.  Can anyone point me toward an online copy?

(Many years ago I had a Triple A plan that included tire service.  But when I started reading the fine print, I discovered that, at my level at least, it didn't apply to dual wheels.  If I had been driving a dual wheel pickup, I would have been SOL!)

So I want to see the fine print before I lay out any money.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

On 4/30/2018 at 4:45 PM, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

Well it seems the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing over at Saferride or Escapees Roadside Assistance. I called today to signup for the new Escapees RSA as my CN will expire the 15 of May. I advised the lady there had been some confusion earlier regarding my MDT but had been in formed over the Escapees Forum that my MDT was covered if it did not have a sleeping quarters. She stated that if my MDT required a heavy duty tow truck to tow it I would have to have two separate policies one for the MDT and one for the 5er RV. 

I would love to support the Escapees I’m a Lifetime member but this is rediculious and I guess I stick with Coach Net.

” Happy Trails’

Chiefneon

Interesting, heavy duty tow truck. Let's see, my hdt weighs less than my Teton. So need a hd tow truck for either.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 4/21/2018 at 3:56 PM, JimK said:

I have AAA service.  I believe it is called "premier" plan.  It covers all my vehicles, including my RV, and my wife and I are also covered for any vehicle we are traveling in.  We used it once when traveling with a friend.  We had a car with some mechanical issues and used it several times.  We used it once with the RV.  We were over 100 miles from the nearest town, down a dirt road and in a camping area.  It took a couple of hours but otherwise there was no problem with the service.  I believe the AAA service is a bit over $100 per year.  Are there advantages to the plans which are designed exclusively for RV travel? 

Hi Jim....we just signed up for AAA with RV Coverage for myself & my husband.  From what I can tell it's going to cost $172/yr ($107 Premier + $28 add'l adult + $37 RV coverage) for Premier for two adults with RV Coverage added, and they only cover a max tow of 200 miles once/yr, then it reverts to 100 miles with a limit of tows.  Sounds to me like the Escapees plan has much better towing coverage (unlimited miles and # of tows) for much less.  I understand AAA has additional benefits (like DMV benefits), but the main purpose for the RSA coverage is the roadside benefits, not the add ons.  

I'm thinking about cancelling AAA & going with the Escapees plan.....shoulda checked it out first!  

Thanks....Tara N.

Thanks for the follow up.  I guess it is possible a 200 mile tow could be an issue for some places.  I understand there is an overall limit of 4 tows/year.  That seems way more than would ever be needed.  In 7 years and 80K miles, I used AAA once for the RV.  I got help changing a tire.  Without coverage I would have handled that myself. 

I did a comparison with FMCA's and AAA's service.   I'm going with Escapees, no question.   In fact, dropping FMCA membership completely.  Something about that group feels really, seriously "off".    Not suggesting others do the same; to each their own.  I'm an Escapees guy, all the way.  100%.    As I said: to each their own.   Happy Trails, y'all.  

Good question, Kirk.   I did a comparison with FMCA's and AAA's service but not Coach Net yet.  AAA is a laugher.   FMCA and Escapees provide the same level of coverage.  Escapees is $30 per year higher than FMCA.  No matter: I'm going with Escapees, no question.   The $30 difference doesn't bother me; I'm an Escapees guy, so I support Escapees.  100%.  In fact, to me, something feels really "off" at FMCA, so I'm dropping my FMCA membership completely.  Not suggesting others do the same; to each their own, but I'm supporting the Escapees product.    Happy Trails, y'all.  

On 5/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, JoeTrekker said:

Not suggesting others do the same; to each their own.  I'm an Escapees guy, all the way.  100%.    As I said: to each their own. 

Pretty much my way of thinking too. I wasn't always "hard corps" Escapees and at one time was a member of both Good Sam & FMCA but have dropped both over the years. It was really my experience with Kay Peterson that made me so committed to the group and even though she has now passed away, her influence will be with me as long as I live. 

Edited by Kirk Wood

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Has anybody actually used the Escapees road assistance service? I broke down in Kentucky on a trip to Florida in early May (40" motorhome). As an Escapee road assistance member, I called the service. They couldn't find a mechanic to send out (wouldn't have matter as the alternator failed) so they would send out a tow.  However, they couldn't quote me a price for the tow because they didn't have the total miles yet ( I think the tow was around 30 miles). I argued that I wasn't aware of any mileage limitation. Given it was getting dark and I needed to find a way to get my family off the highway, I let it go. About an hour later,  the tow service called and said, the Escapees service wouldn't pay for the tow so I had to come up with the $1400.00 before the driver would come out.  Again, time wasn't in my favor, so I gave them a credit card number. Called back the Escapee's service and the the guy said, the plan wouldn't cover my tow and they I need to get a hold of Escapee to figure it out. I'm two weeks in trying to resolve the issue and no closer ...called today and they said they are still waiting for the taped call to figure out the issue. 

Well that sure doesn't sound great.  Like everyone else, I was thinking about giving Escapees a try, but since we KNOW that Coachnet delivers as promised, I think we will stay with them next fall.   Yes, more expensive, but reliability is crucial when talking about road side assistance.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Agree with Barbaraok, like the Escapees concept, but I also know Coach-net delivers, not always fast, but never a penny out of my pocket. Of course one time, tow truck driver said it would be a, extra $200  for me to pay, because he said Coach-net told him they would not pay him for pulling the half shafts, quick call to Coach-net got that straightened out. Coach at the side of the freeway shaking ever time a semi passes, is not my favorite place to be.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Hi all!

Thank you for your feedback about ERA. To get caught up on the current conversation:

1) Thank you for the request to include the fine print on the website. I'm currently at Escapade, and believe Ed Thor will be here as well. I'll meet with him to discuss some of the general concerns I've read here and elsewhere, and will see about getting the fine print to add to our resources. Our CEO, Shawn, is also here and will likely have a more in-depth conversation about the success of our partnership so far.

2) I have been in touch with GaryN about addressing his situation. Ed has been informed, too, and we're working together to get Gary a resolution. 

3) I appreciate all of you who have considered ERA, even if you opted to go with another company. Please keep your feedback coming- we can't make a program better if we don't know it's weak points.

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

I want to follow-up on the issue I had with the tow. I received a call today and Saferide is going to reimburse me for the cost of the tow. They are still reviewing what went wrong, but acknowledged that it should have been covered and their mistake shouldn't be my issue.

I realize mistakes happen. Ultimately, they did work with their towing companies and did get a service, it was just the issue of payment. The bigger issue is making sure you get the proper resolution when there are mistakes, which is all part of good customer service. I feel Saferide responded to this issue in a manner that shows they want to take care of their Escapee members. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve also been comparing CN to the new Escapees plan.  Thankfully, in the 4 years we’ve had it, we’ve never needed to use CN. 

One thing I can’t seem to find info on in the Escapees plan is what CN calls their “Assist America” part of their plan, which includes things like help with medical evacuations, help with your pet, (not to be morbid) return of mortal remains, and more.

I don’t see any mention of these type services in the Escapees info.  Am I just missing seeing it or do they not offer it? 

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

Saferide is what FMCA is using for their new  roadside assistance too. There are a few negative comments in their forums. Their initial offering is $60/yr with corresponding club dues years, ie 3 for 3 max.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 5 months later...

Please! Follow up... Has anyone used Escapes Roadside Assistance? (Especially in Alaska where I live?) What was your experience? My CN is due to renew but every year the price goes up! I'd like to support Escapees too, but when we need help we really need it!

All you who wrote about this last year... What happened?