Escapees Roadside Assistance

Kirk W

I have been reading about the new Escapees Roadside Assistance offering and am very curious about what others on the forums are thinking? We have had Good Sam ERS and then changed to Coach Net after becoming Escapees because of the discount that gave us. Our only time to be towed was with a motorhome and Coach Net, and we were very happy with the result.  At the same time, these services seem to be rising in price and we are always open to saving some money if services are as good. I realize that it is still very early in this program but and wondering how the forum members are receiving this new offering?  We are nearing the time to renew our Coach Net and are giving serious consideration to a change. All comments would be appreciated.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like great minds think alike.  About the time you posted your topic I posted a very similar one.  Maybe between the two of us we will get the answers that will help us decide which offering is best:  CoachNet, Good Sam, FMCA or now Escapees.

Regards,

OWV

OWV, I am taking the liberty of posting your questions here as we can combine forces in that way.

• Posted 37 minutes ago
  • I just received an Escapee email announcing the new roadside assistance benefit they are going to offer.  My questions are, h

1. Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the various roadside assistance programs offered by Good Sam, FMCA, Coach Net and now Escapee?

2. Are there any major differences in the features offered by each?

3. What are everyone's experiences with customer service, response time, reimbursement, etc?

We currently have Coach Net and are pleased whenever we have had to use them, but as we have a new coach on order I want to do my due diligence before signing up for Coach Net again.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Regards,

OWV

I did do some comparing of the two and find very little difference in the services offered.  For many years now, Escapess have had an affiliation with Coach-Net and they give Escape members a $10/year discount. I would assume that this will not be the case now with the Escapees now having an offering of their own. 

As to #3, the Escapee program has just been introduced and so I don't think anyone can really evaluate it at this time. In reading all of the materials, it seems that they have made a business connection to the SafeRide Motor Club which is a company that I have no direct knowledge of. I seem to recall having heard of them somewhere, but do not remember where. In reading their website, it states that they offer memberships wholesale, with to me means through other sellers, probably insurance companies. That could very likely be why the name sounds familiar to me. 

I do think that with the Escapees RV Club behind the coverage it should be good as we have been Escapees since about 1998 or so, and are life members. For that reason, I have a lot of confidence in this offering but started this thread just to get some other opinions. Our present coverage runs until June so I have some time to shop, but I like to compare products and prices with any insurance coverage that I buy and insurance is what this product is. 

Edited by Kirk Wood

The various plans are easy  to compare  one can do it on line by visiting each  plans website.It may take awhile and   may be better than social  media that may be biased in favor of the plan the respondent has. I think over the years  we have had all of  them including coach net. We found that  all of the plans are nearly the same. We shop around every two years or so and will sign up for a plan as a new member  for a year or two. We are now with allstate  premium through AARP  with the new member rate of 84.00 per year with a renewal rate of 94.00 per year. We have used most of them over the years and had good service from all of them. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Thanks, richfaa.  I was hoping someone might have already done such a comparison, not that I am lazy or anything.  :D  But, why reinvent the wheel if there is already a good wheel out there.  I will keep my fingers crossed that someone has the wheel.  Otherwise I will work on it myself and share.

Regards,

OWV

Howdy!

This is the first I’ve heard about Escapees road side service. We have had both Good Sam ERS and now Coach Net. GS ERS stiffed me for a $2,000.00 towing bill on a trip to Alaska. I drop them and now have CN. They have given us great service even towed our MDT in Newfoundland no problems. Only question CN asked is where we wanted it towed to. We will be renewing ours soon have no problems going with Escapees just want to know we we’ll receive good service after the problems we had with GS ERS.

I look at the Escapees programs which is $99.00 a year. To renew my CN it has gone up to $129.00 or $387.00 for three years which is what I usually do. I will have to do so more research but the Escapees like others I have a MDT and CN is the only one that has not had a problem with it or HDT.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I have used both GS and CN with good results however when renewal with CN came due a couple years ago they told me they would not cover anything but the RV.  Car and Harley would not be covered.  Switched back to GS.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

When we got the insurance on our Foretravel we were offered a really good deal on CoachNet, which we took. We've needed it several times, but that particular deal is no longer available. A couple of weeks ago I got the renewal notice and was going to renew, but the CFO said to wait a bit. Now that this has come along, I'm glad she's smarter than me. We'll do a comparison in the next couple of weeks and see what fits our needs.

I have NO complaints about CoachNet. They once towed us 1/3 of the total distance of a particular trip because the first place they took us to decided that they couldn't (I think didn't want to) deal with the problem.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Suggest you explore - "US Rider" - yes, it *is* an equestrian ERS plan - but horse ownership, as well as towing a horse trailer are *not* a requirement.

They will tow whatever (non-commercial) vehicle you (the member) are in. and/or towing.   Also, they are the only ERS which will deal with live animals in a vehicle - although that doesn't apply to me!

Some/many/most/none - of us will have the "opportunity" to use the ERS plans we have or have had in the past. Lots of factors will determine whether the service you receive was -  excellent, good,  poor - or bad!  (See :"BTW' at the bottom).

Also - all "Motor Clubs" are underwritten by one of the National Wholesalers.as mentioned in a previous post.

My experience with US Rider:  I had a question about a definition in the agreement.  Sent an e-mail. Received prompt reply with clarification AND the option to call Linda Lee, the Director of Operations of/for the "USRider Equestrian Motor Plan" - which I did!  We had a pleasant and informative conversation.  All my questions were answered to my complete satisfaction!  (That was in Sept. of 2014 - don't know if she is still the Director). 

Visit their web site and the FAQ page .

My 'backup' plan - "American Motorcyclist" - Tow anything you are driving, for 35 miles.  Cost $50. per year.  NO M/C ownership or M/Cs being transported to receive service - to any vehicle you are driving and/or towing.

Called them to ask about towing a tandem HDT.  The (very polite) person handling the phones - did great until we got to the HDT.  Admitted she wasn't sure, but gave me the phone number of the "parent" Motor Club. Try to get CN, GS, or? to do that, LOL.

I was impressed by both of the representatives  - as well as the plans. But - maybe the "features/beneits" have changed?

BTW - ALL of the Motor Clubs - GS, CN, Allstate, USRider, etc. - contract to towing companies in the areas where you are located (when you call for service).  Often the tow operators have contracts with  several/many of the Motor Clubs.

The wait for service will depend on where you are , time, weather conditions, etc. - as well as how busy the contract tow operator is at the time, the units he has available, and "priority" calls.  The industry standard is "within one hour"

Happy ERS hunting to all !!.

23 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I have been reading about the new Escapees Roadside Assistance offering and am very curious about what others on the forums are thinking?

While there have been some interesting posts, my request is for thoughts about the new plan offering from Escapees. I have no complaints with the services I have been carrying but the price has recently increased, making the one from Escapees quite attractive.

This is a slight conundrum as I would like to change to something at least equal but cheaper and support "our club" group but it is not a ton of difference price wise and I have had experience with the one I use and although it wasn't as seemless as they sometimes talk about the outcome has been positive except  the last one and they tried to accomodate me on that one. I think it might have worked out if I had chosen to  with their choice but the decision was mine and I am mostly happy with it. (I ended up with an $85. tow chg. on the truck alone,)   At any rate I have recieved more than my monies worth using the one I  have so I likly will stay for at least another year to get more feedback on the escapees offering. I still have at least 4months to decide.  My biggest gripe currently with the one I have now is when I renew and pay online and I think early there is a discount and then they  tell me to print out a new card.  WELL I don't have a way to print out a card and they can't seem to mail me one. They are not the only company that does that to you these days which is frustrating a little but the Tow insurance is still valid and I leave the confirmation email in my email archives until the next year.

In four years, I have only used my ERS once, poorly planned fuel use. I now know my truck capabilities better also carry an extra fuel can. For something that I actually use so infrequently (and always hope to never need) cost is a prime selling point. 

Unless my next insurance carrier (shopping for same reasoning, I want lower premiums for something I haven't actually used in years and hope to not need to use) provides a full Roadside assistance program, including RV coverage, I will likely switch to the Escapees offering.

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

i like paying without using it as that means I didn't have anything go wrong.

X-2 on that !!

If you can receive the same amount of service for less dollars.....you should go with the one *you* believe delivers the best bang for your buck/s!

Using that criteria......sitting in our car at a red light, in a left turn pocket (So, CA). It unexpectedly died.  Oh-oh - no bueno!  The car was always trouble-free, and I guessed an in-tank fuel pump problem.  Light changed, a try for a restart gave me a few "coughs" and got me across the street to the curb.  No joy - for another restart. (Yes, it was the fuel pump).

Called AAA on the cell phone, gave the dispatcher the info - and before I could even wonder "how long before the hook gets here"  .....a tow operator was behind me, and yes he had actually received the call.  WOW!

He did admit he had been across the street and had seen me coast to the curb. Dropped the car at a dealer about 3 miles away, and gave me a ride home.

Now if I base my choice on that experience *alone* - I should have the AAA RV ERS policy, which i don't.

But - that was in a major metro area - lots of tow operators out and about.  Would I have gotten the same level of service in the boonies?  No way to tell until it happens.

If it's "just the cost" - (IMO) the American Motorcyclist plan would probably work very well as a "stand alone:" at $50. per year.

BTW - USRider will authorize use of an alternate tow service if you believe you are waiting too long - either directly to the tow operator -or- reimburse you.

Join (usually there is a fee) one of the tow operator forums - and read who *they* like for Motor Clubs! The service *they* receive (get paid in a timely fashion, etc.)  as a contractor is an interesting topic.  Too soon to tell for SKPs.

Lastly - All tow operators understand - cash and/or a CC. (IMO) If you factor what you have paid for ERS policies for XX amount of years, we all would be money ahead -way ahead- to just "pay the man".

Roll on!

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

i like paying without using it as that means I didn't have anything go wrong.

Isn't that the great thing about insurance; if you don't need it then nothing went wrong.  I particularly like paying the annual life insurance premium.  :D

Regards,

OWV

14 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Join (usually there is a fee) one of the tow operator forums - and read who *they* like for Motor Clubs! The service *they* receive (get paid in a timely fashion, etc.)  as a contractor is an interesting topic.  Too soon to tell for SKPs.

Really wise consideration. Sounds like you have an idea already. Care to PM me the one you use?:D

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Really wise consideration. Sounds like you have an idea already. Care to PM me the one you use?:D

Haven't done that in a while - I'll have to see if I'm still a member - try "Tow411.net", go to forums then scroll down to "Motor Clubs".

Part -or all of it used to be open to all, then they wanted to limit it to the folks working in the industry  (IIRC) I did  "claim" affiliation as an independent (my own company, w/ one tow truck) - which I have....never said  it's *not* commercial - or what I tow, LOL.

Major complaints were slow payment of/for invoices they sent to various Motor Clubs for service they had provided to the club members.  Some good, some bad (poor) some ugly.  IMO - if they're not happy, you may not be happy - as all/most have more lucrative contracts (frequent repeats) for roads/highways (via PDs, etc.).

There are others - try Google for - "Tow Operator forums", etc.

I have a question What does primary vehicles mean? In the Escapees roadside  assistance program coverage. We have a number of vehicles. Does this mean the one we drive most often or all vehicle we drive?

• Primary vehicles
  • Primary vehicles

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

I have roadside assistance with my vehicle insurance and with my extended warranty. I just joined FMCA while at Quartzsite last weekend. I believe that their roadside assistance is with the same company Escapees is now offering. Haven’t compared them since I am already covered but I did notice that the Escapees coverage costs $99 and FMCA is only $69. It may be good to review each to see if the Escapees plan covers more than the FMCA plan. Glad to see that Escapees is giving us more benefits for our membership. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Howdy!

Just wanted to share this for Escapees with MDT or HDT tow vehicles.

I had questions regarding the new Escapees roadside assistance program, one being on the Escapees website they state “You get roadside assistance that is available any time, almost anywhere, as often as you need it. Escapees Roadside Assistance customers have uncapped access to SafeRide’s resources, unlike our competitors. “Almost anywhere did not give me a warm and fuzzy felling. So I call the Escapees and they referred me to the company handling the service at 888-803-3075. When I called that number I got a voice mail to leave a message and phone and someone would call me back in one business day. Again not a good feeling. Someone did return my call that day. I asked about the “almost anywhere”. She stated they were just like all the other roadside assistance programs regarding the service available in the area you where in having problems. My next question was would they cover my MDT and also if they would cover HDT as there are a lot of Escapees that use these for tow vehicle. She first stated they would cover my MDT but would have to check on the HDT and get back with me. I received another call later that evening. She stated after checking further that the to cover my MDT I would have to purchase two policies, one for the MDT and one for my RV (5er). The same would hold true for any Escapees having a HDT they would have to purchase two policies. That being said I will retain my service with Coach Net I’ve been with them since 2009 and have a Platinum plus coverage that coast $119.00 a year that covers alll my RV’s and vehicle including my MDT.

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

4 hours ago, chiefneon said:

Platinum plus coverage that coast $119.00 a year that covers alll my RV’s and vehicle excluding my MDT

Did you mean "including" instead of "excluding"?  Coach net should cover the towing of your MDT under your Platinum plus policy (at least that is my understanding - since I have Good Sam, I can't say for sure).

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

Did you mean "including" instead of "excluding"?  Coach net should cover the towing of your MDT under your Platinum plus policy (at least that is my understanding (since I have Good Sam, I can't say for sure).

Howdy!

Sorry, yes the Coach Net Platinum plus covers all 5er, Air Stream TT, Smart Car, MDT, Majesty Scooter, anything I own or rent also.

Thanks I will correct.

’” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime