HDT Tires

Padraic

Hi Guys, what is your opinion replaces old tires (Need all 10 tires).

1. My Michelin XZA front tires (275/80R22.5) were new in 2005 with RV low mileage, but its high time to replace it due to age. How often you replace these tires?
  2. The 8 drive tires were a cheaper brand with size 295/75 R22.5.
  3. The front and rear tires are different, should they be the same?
  4. What brand do you prefer? I like Michelin, but going to be part-time RVing, so the truck gets even less use than before. Feel like putting Michelin would be a waste.
  5. Do you use drive tires same as the steer tires? I was not before but thinking using the same so I can use the rear tire for the front if I need it.
  6. Where do you get your tires? I got mine at Flying J Quartsite in 2005. Not sure the world of tires has changed. Can people mail order and has a local shop mount it?

Appreciated your response.

TruckTires-1.jpg

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

You can use “all position”tires for derives and steers. If there is usable tread, they will give you some credit for the new tires. I have gotten as high as $80. I have an aggressive tread on the drive and steer tires on the front. I found an independent dealer for the steers in Albuquerque and went to Goodyear for the drives. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

My Steers are Toyo, drives are Goodyear.  Michelin’s are great but for the amount we Drive I’m going with a reputable 2nd tier next time.  Put Hankook 17.5” on trailer and so far really like them.  Have to replace my Toyos this year and may go with the Hankook steers.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Tires on the steer can be a different manufacturer with no problems. A truck stop chain is the least likely place to get a good deal. I would use a high volume local tire dealer that sells truck tires only. I would put the money in the steers but would not be afraid to put one of the better known Chinese drive tires on, based on the recommendation of the tire dealer who sells and backs them. Mail order, ala Tire Rack for cars is not practical for something as big and heavy as truck tires, which would have to be delivered motor freight, unlike car tires which UPS delivers for Tire Rack. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Hi Padraic,

I bought Goodyear Kelly tires at Wingfoot located at a Pilot/Flying J two different locations,  Dalton, Ga and Winslow, AZ.

In 2013 paid $1500 out the door for 4 drives and a pair of Centramatics.

In 2015 paid $756 out the door for 2 steers and a pair of Centramatics.

Just happened to catch sales. 

I also shopped Hancook and Samson tires.  Went with the Kellys's because I felt more comfortable with Goodyear.

Glad you are getting back on the road. 

Hope this helps

Brad and Cindy

I don't know my drive tire and front has different size. Apparently, it is ok for 10 years. The rear tire is slightly wider than the front with 295mm but less rubber height at 75. My rim must be different from front to back since the width is different.

Current front 275/80 R22.5

Drive tires 295/75 R22.5

1 hour ago, Padraic said:

I don't know my drive tire and front has different size. Apparently, it is ok for 10 years. The rear tire is slightly wider than the front with 295mm but less rubber height at 75. My rim must be different from front to back since the width is different.

Current front 275/80 R22.5

Drive tires 295/75 R22.5

Actually, I think some tire manufactures use slightly different numbers, but they are pretty much the same size. Michelin uses that 275/80 size for some reason. Either way, those are Low Pro 22.5 tire sizes and I wouild imagine the rim sizes are the same. The difference in sidewall height between the two is minimal at best too. 

Heck my truck has 24.5 low pros on the front and 22.5 low pros on the rear. I plan on changing that when I get tires.  

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I just put Goodyear recap drives on mine. They are new casings with full warrantee. $190 each. I couldn’t see using high dollar virgin for tires that would age out before they wear out especially considering the weight they will haul. 

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

Good to get a tight tread pattern on drives. I pull a pull hitch trailer and my tires are puting lots of stone dings in front corners of traler. The aluminum corner wraps needed to be allittle wider. No problem with dually pickup with real tight tread pattern. To cheap to buy 8 drives when old look like new. Truck was used in Michigan and tires where meant for winter driving. 

I recently replaced my drives.  The old tires were retreads that were both aging out and starting show signs of tread separation.  I went with the Aeolus tires from Love's.  About $1700 out the door for virgin rubber.  These tires get decent reviews from truckers without breaking the bank.  Some say they have a short wear life but as RV's our rigs don't see lots of miles I am fine with that.  Basically they are new tires at retread prices...

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

Interesting old link on tire brand characteristic, I agreed with him that Michelin when sits, dry rot faster than other as seen on my own steer tire.

Learn something new on truck tires from this link, it's about different tire for a different position (axle) of a big rig.

Archived