Government shutdown: Are BLM Land Boondockers kicked out?

Al F

I agree that hopefully folks will take their garbage to a proper place for disposal instead of just laying it lay.  There's a town dump for that purpose in town run by the city.  When we stayed with a large group in the 14-day area the guys would make a trash run whenever the facility was open. They'd gather a couple trucks and everyone would load them up.  I don't recall the facility hours but times were limited.  Please do the right thing and don't destroy the desert with trash.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing at the number of people that will not take the initiative to actually dispose of garbage properly.  It takes just a tiny bit more effort to take it where you can dump it.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

The " If you pack it in then pack it out" even for RVs means nothing to a lot of people. Especially if they are used to someone picking it up in normal situations.  I know of several forest in NM where weekenders commonly leave bagged up garbage and trash at the campsite no matter what they should be doing.  I have gone  through some home garbage to get a name so they can get a $500 cititation in the mail if we can locate an address or a lead to look up and address. That doesn't happen much anymore as the LEO and FPO staff is reduced ti a minimum and the FPO's are mostly seasonal and have a lot more to deal with including cleaning and stocking bathrooms.

If it wasn't for the massive numbers of good ones I might have to do a number on some of crummy ones..

On 1/18/2018 at 11:57 AM, Devilishjim said:

We had an old saying at the work place

If a persons no good for anything else make a boss out of them, that way they are out of the way so we can get some work done. 

Somebody get me a D8 with dozer blade and while Congress is on vacation I will clean the house ;)

You rule, agree 100%!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

15 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Amazing at the number of people that will not take the initiative to actually dispose of garbage properly.  It takes just a tiny bit more effort to take it where you can dump it.

Ken

There are a lot of lazy, inconsiderate people out there whose only thought is of themselves.  It's just like at the grocery store where some people can't be bothered to put their carts back in the cart corral, even when it's just a couple of steps from them.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Garbage truck was here at La Posa Tyson Wash about 9:00 this AM(Jan 22). At La Posa South garbage trucks and end loader on site to complete clean up. The extra garbage was not directly because of the shutdown, but I would guess people were afraid that the garbage service would be shut down, and got rid of every speck of garbage they could find just in case.  Also, this has to be one of the busiest weekends at the LTVAs around Quartzsite.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

13 hours ago, LindaH said:

There are a lot of lazy, inconsiderate people out there whose only thought is of themselves.  It's just like at the grocery store where some people can't be bothered to put their carts back in the cart corral, even when it's just a couple of steps from them.

Linda, we are pretty much through with volunteering at parks.  It seems the rangers just want the people to have a "Great Experience" at the park, even at the expense of breaking the rules.  After a summer in Colorado where the state parks were beautifully clean and the guest did not leave behind much trash, we realized we were getting burned out at "picking up other peoples trash".  Some of the state parks in Texas are trashed a bit by the people.  So, time to take some time off and rest up.

It really hurts me to see people disregarding the rules with little to no consequences.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

9 hours ago, TXiceman said:

After a summer in Colorado where the state parks were beautifully clean and the guest did not leave behind much trash, we realized we were getting burned out at "picking up other peoples trash".  Some of the state parks in Texas are trashed a bit by the people.

I think that the best we ever experienced was Salt Creek Park, a county park near Port Angeles, WA. We had 96 campsites and after a long weekend, we would hardly fill a Walmart bag when doing our trash walk. You may want to try some form of volunteering other thsn campground host? We found that to be boring and so started doing our volunteering at national wildlife refuges or other places where we did other types of jobs.We like that much better and will be doing interpretive work again this summer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

34 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I think that the best we ever experienced was Salt Creek Park, a county park near Port Angeles, WA. We had 96 campsites and after a long weekend, we would hardly fill a Walmart bag when doing our trash walk. You may want to try some form of volunteering other thsn campground host? We found that to be boring and so started doing our volunteering at national wildlife refuges or other places where we did other types of jobs.We like that much better and will be doing interpretive work again this summer. 

We've done only two volunteering stints...one as a campground host and one at a national wildlife refuge (Malheur).  We would never do the camp host thing again, but we really enjoyed the wildlife refuge!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

48 minutes ago, LindaH said:

We would never do the camp host thing again, but we really enjoyed the wildlife refuge!

I don't believe that any of the national wildlife refuges we have volunteered at had any public campgrounds.  If they did, we had no duties there and were never on the grounds of one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I don't believe that any of the national wildlife refuges we have volunteered at had any public campgrounds.  If they did, we had no duties there and were never on the grounds of one.

I don't know about other national wildlife refuges, but Malheur doesn't have any kind of campground, other than the full hookup sites for the volunteers.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Honestly- the fake press has got everybody in a tizzy. Have any of the other shutdowns ever affected you in any way whatsoever?!? They're not going to send anybody through the desert telling you you have to leave. It's nothing but a political thing; I know we're not supposed to discuss that, but it's that simple.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

5 hours ago, RangeMaggotBob said:

Honestly- the fake press has got everybody in a tizzy. Have any of the other shutdowns ever affected you in any way whatsoever?!? They're not going to send anybody through the desert telling you you have to leave. It's nothing but a political thing; I know we're not supposed to discuss that, but it's that simple.

Would be kind of an amusing post if it wasn't so impactful to those directly affected.  Government employees missing a pay check to pay certain bills, those needing the government services that are closed, National Parks have closed in the past, etc. 

Bottom line, no way to run a government.  Both sides believe they are "right".

As has been said, many, many times, no war has been fought because of a right and a wrong.  BOTH sides are fighting for what they believe is the RIGHT reason.  It is just that both sides believe the other side is WRONG!

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We arrived at La Posa South on Sunday and stayed three nights.  No staff were at the entry booth.

I think the dumpsters are operated under contract to a private company.  It doesn't matter if the the feds shut down or not.  Those dumpsters were empty or near empty all three days.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

6 hours ago, RangeMaggotBob said:

..Have any of the other shutdowns ever affected you in any way whatsoever?!?...

Yes, the second of the Clinton era shutdowns lasted from December 16, 1995 to January 6, 1996(21 days). All non-essential federal employees (me included) were furloughed without pay. Furloughed employees did not receive paychecks during the Christmas Holidays. Most parks, historic sites and museums were closed with law enforcement personnel assigned to enforce the closures. During the 16 day October 2013 shutdown many federal facilities including campgrounds were closed. If my memory is correct, the COE campgrounds somehow remained open. 

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

3 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Being a sports fan, I found it ironic that over the past weekend, the Air Force Academy shut down all athletic games, but Army/Navy played theirs. 

That is really a curious one for sure.   As for dumpsters the contractor could be looking out for his own interests or just being nice.   Where I volunteer a lot they use a contractor for snow plowing some parking lots. They generally only have so much funded which is not nearly enough. I have known him to plow for free on his own to make it easier and quicker to do when he is getting paid. It makes it easier on his equipment too. In addition the public gets benefitted and while he wouldn't do it free all the time he likes to help the area as it is his home area too.

I have been affected by shut downs in the past as an employee and as volunteer.  I have been one of the ones tasked as clearing and area and locking bathrooms and locking gates. I can't speak for everywhere but it is a real thing someplaces.   I can't say I consider the news fake but there are time I wish they would be better at getting it right.  Even when they do some people hear it  one way some hear it another.  That happens right here on the discussion board a fair amount.  Heck on the news sometimes they get it right then something changes and everyone that heard it doesn't get the memo about it so they run around crying fake new.

Archived