California CDL

Vegas Teacher

10 minutes ago, Mntom said:

WHY get a CDL for a NON -commercial vehicle?

That's what I ask too, Tom. Even a private truck doesn't need a CDL. It might require an upgraded DL but not a CDL. There are too many other issues with having CDL when you don't need it. It can just lead to other issues.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mntom said:

Phil, am I correct in thinking that a DOT Medical Exam is required for a CDL to be valid?

Tom,

Several states allow you to self certify for intrastate commercial driving.     That said, making false statements on a self certification is not really where you want to go.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

In the states with class A & B exempt licenses, it would be easy to say go get one.     Trouble is in California for example, you still have to self certify to hold a class A exempt..    

Steve

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Problem with being a resident of CA is a noncommercial A is that it doesn't give you privileges to drive a truck 26,001+ GVWR, and the noncommercial class B doesn't give you any more towing privileges than a class C,. To legally oprerate an HDT not titled  motorhome and tow an Rv trailer 10,001+ GVWR requires a commercial A license which requires a medical exam/card.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

42 minutes ago, CrazyCooter said:

Problem with being a resident of CA is a noncommercial A is that it doesn't give you privileges to drive a truck 26,001+ GVWR, and the noncommercial class B doesn't give you any more towing privileges than a class C,. To legally oprerate an HDT not titled  motorhome and tow an Rv trailer 10,001+ GVWR requires a commercial A license which requires a medical exam/card.

What does a non commercial Class A or B license in CA grant you then over a normal Class C license? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

17 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

What does a non commercial Class A or B license in CA grant you then over a normal Class C license? 

Noncommercial A gets you privileges to tow an Rv trailer 10,001+ GVWR. Noncommercial B allows you to operate a motorhome over 40' in length......and possibly vehicles 26,001+ when not used commercially. Dmv won't let me access their info with my tab right now......

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

1 hour ago, CrazyCooter said:

Noncommercial A gets you privileges to tow an Rv trailer 10,001+ GVWR. Noncommercial B allows you to operate a motorhome over 40' in length......and possibly vehicles 26,001+ when not used commercially. Dmv won't let me access their info with my tab right now......

This is almost correct.  In CA a non commercial class A allows the following:  You can drive any vehicle you could with a class C license or any house car over 40’ but not more than 45’ in length.

You may also tow any travel trailers weighing over 10,000 pounds GVWR, not used for hire. 5th-wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 pounds, not used for hire.
With a vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen, you may tow a: livestock trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds GVWR but not exceeding 15,000 pounds GVWR if the vehicle is controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport livestock to or from a farm, not used in commerce or contract carrier operations, and is used within 150 miles of the person’s farm.

A non commercial class B license allows the following:  You can drive any vehicle you could with a class C license or any house car over 40’ but not more than 45’ in length.  

You may also tow the same things you can with a class C license.  Which is a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less including a tow dolly, if used. With a vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen, you may tow a:
trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 pounds gross.
trailer coach or  5th-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 pounds GVWR when towing is not for compensation.  Or a 5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds but not exceeding 15,000 pounds GVWR, when towing is not for compensation and with endorsement.
Note: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than 1 vehicle. No motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds unladen may tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or more gross (CVC §21715).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

This is almost correct.  In CA a non commercial class A allows the following:  You can drive any vehicle you could with a class C license or any house car over 40’ but not more than 45’ in length.

You may also tow any travel trailers weighing over 10,000 pounds GVWR, not used for hire. 5th-wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 pounds, not used for hire.
With a vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen, you may tow a: livestock trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds GVWR but not exceeding 15,000 pounds GVWR if the vehicle is controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport livestock to or from a farm, not used in commerce or contract carrier operations, and is used within 150 miles of the person’s farm.

A non commercial class B license allows the following:  You can drive any vehicle you could with a class C license or any house car over 40’ but not more than 45’ in length.  

You may also tow the same things you can with a class C license.  Which is a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less including a tow dolly, if used. With a vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen, you may tow a:
trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 pounds gross.
trailer coach or  5th-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 pounds GVWR when towing is not for compensation.  Or a 5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds but not exceeding 15,000 pounds GVWR, when towing is not for compensation and with endorsement.
Note: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than 1 vehicle. No motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds unladen may tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or more gross (CVC §21715).

I have read the same in some regs about towing the 5th wheels 10001-15000, but sometimes they don't reference "With special endorsement". Just went through this with a friend of mine yesterday who wants to buy a gooseneck living quarters horse trailer.

In one book it says you can go up to 15000 and another it says only with endorsement. Which is it and how are you guys supposed to enforce if you can't figure it out due to the inconsistencies?

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

1 hour ago, CrazyCooter said:

I have read the same in some regs about towing the 5th wheels 10001-15000, but sometimes they don't reference "With special endorsement". Just went through this with a friend of mine yesterday who wants to buy a gooseneck living quarters horse trailer.

In one book it says you can go up to 15000 and another it says only with endorsement. Which is it and how are you guys supposed to enforce if you can't figure it out due to the inconsistencies?

Gooseneck (or bumper pull) horse trailer with living quarters (or not) requires a class A if it is over 10000 lbs. 

The endorsement for a 5th wheel recreational travel trailer between 10001-15000 lbs on the class C license is very specific and only covers traditional 5th wheels (which would include a toy hauler).  It does not cover gooseneck horse trailers.  If the 5th wheel (or toy hauler) has a GVWR greater than 15000 lbs then it also requires a class A license.

This is all quite clear in the code.  The problem is nobody really knows about the code.  Basically any trailer over 10000 lbs GVWR requires a class A license in California.  The only exception is for 5th wheel RV's between 10001-15000 lbs with a special endorsement on the class C license.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

9 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Restriction 41 -"Class A restricted to operating 5th wheel travel trailer between 10,00 and 15,000 GVWR"

That is the "endorsement" that will show up on your class C license if you get that endorsement.

Here's what you need to do in order to get the endorsement:

To obtain an original fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement-

Adults must:

• Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
  • There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
  • Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test.
  • Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the last 12 months.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire or Physician's Health Report.
  • You are not required to take a pre-trip, skills, or driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.

Minors must:

• Complete the items listed above.
  • Meet the additional requirements listed in the California Driver Handbook in the Provisional License section.

event.png    

1 hour ago, DesertMiner said:

Most DMV offices will not know what this test is.....or where the test booklet is located.  They will have to call Sacramento for the info.

That is correct.  Very few people know of this endorsement or even the requirement of a class A for 5th wheels over 15000 lb GVW.  The RV dealer certainly isn't going to tell you (and from my experience actually asking the question, I have yet to find a dealer even aware of the requirement).  From my experience, the majority of 5th wheel trailers registered in CA are being pulled out of class.

event.png    

13 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

That is correct.  Very few people know of this endorsement or even the requirement of a class A for 5th wheels over 15000 lb GVW.  The RV dealer certainly isn't going to tell you (and from my experience actually asking the question, I have yet to find a dealer even aware of the requirement).  From my experience, the majority of 5th wheel trailers registered in CA are being pulled out of class.

Chad,

In your professional encounters with these situations what is the outcome?   

The endorsement is a knowledge based endorsement not a skills tested endorsement.     The class A is actually a skills based test with a combination vehicle.    When you stop a vehicle with a skid steer or tractor do you consider the trailer weight and license class routinely?     

Steve  

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Chad,

In your professional encounters with these situations what is the outcome?   

The endorsement is a knowledge based endorsement not a skills tested endorsement.     The class A is actually a skills based test with a combination vehicle.    When you stop a vehicle with a skid steer or tractor do you consider the trailer weight and license class routinely?     

Steve  

The consequences would be a ticket for driving out of class and possibly being told to separate the combination or wait for a properly licensed driver.

In reality, only an officer who has been specifically trained is going to even know the person is out of class and do something about it.

Also, the driver will have to be stopped for some other visible violation before the class violation can be observed.  This is another reason why you never hear about these violations or requirements.

CHP does do it periodically though.

event.png    

Archived