California CDL

Vegas Teacher

Just because he has a CDL doesn't mean he has to maintain the requirements of a commercial driver. Remember what Big5er said, it is the usage that is the key. I drive my personal automobile with a CDL all the time, don't keep a log when I am doing it, as an example. Nor do i mind being kept to the higher standard that a CDL entails, with the lower BAC limits etc.  Since he is 44 years old, maintaining a physical probably isn't a big deal, $65 every 2 years. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

Just because he has a CDL doesn't mean he has to maintain the requirements of a commercial driver. Remember what Big5er said, it is the usage that is the key. I drive my personal automobile with a CDL all the time, don't keep a log when I am doing it, as an example. Nor do i mind being kept to the higher standard that a CDL entails, with the lower BAC limits etc.  Since he is 44 years old, maintaining a physical probably isn't a big deal, $65 every 2 years. 

Thanks again! I get a physical on a regular basis anyway, my Great Grandfather and my father have both had prostate cancer, I keep a close eye on it and do blood work on a regular basis. My father also had a brain tumor removed a couple of years ago in May. I am not going to let anything surprise me, so maintaining the physical paper work will not be a big deal and my insurance pays for it anyway. Also thanks for the clarification from a commercial driver on points or questions asked on the forum!

Later,

Vegas Teacher

38 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

Thanks Jeff.  

Cory, not criticizing your choices at all but for debate clarity.  If you’re getting a CDL because some LEO might stop you on the side of the road and ticket you or keep you from driving, then it would seem logical that if that officer doesn’t know your Nevada license covers an RV it is unlikely he would know you don’t need logs etc. associated with a CDL.  Again not criticizing just trying to understand the purpose of a CDL if it is not required by a particular state.  My state Tennessee does not require one and my choice is not to get one.  I did inquire about driving schools but they were all geared to commercial driving and were expensive.  I received some instruction from a friend who was a short haul trucker.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The worst person to ask about laws is a traffic officer. They will be familiar with what the write on a normal basis, but asking about something they are not familiar with will get you a lot of bad information. It is like going to an OBGYN and sling him about internal medicine issues. It is not his area of expertise. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

59 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Thanks again! I get a physical on a regular basis anyway, my Great Grandfather and my father have both had prostate cancer, I keep a close eye on it and do blood work on a regular basis. My father also had a brain tumor removed a couple of years ago in May. I am not going to let anything surprise me, so maintaining the physical paper work will not be a big deal and my insurance pays for it anyway. Also thanks for the clarification from a commercial driver on points or questions asked on the forum!

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Cory, the CDL physical is different than a standard doctor physical.  It has to be done by someone licensed to give CDL physicals and is not intended to look for potential health problems like a standard physical.  It is basically intended to make sure the driver is physically capable of controlling a commercial vehicle.  Additionally, I highly doubt your health insurance will cover the costs of a CDL physical and your normal doctor probably isn't "qualified" to give one anyway (unless he has been certified to do so).

I know you have discussed going to a commercial driving school in the past in order to get your CDL.  If you are going to the school to become a better driver of an HDT, then I applaud that effort.  It is always good to get instruction on something to improve your skills.

If you are going just to get your CDL, then in my opinion that is a waste of a lot of money.  Most trucking companies won't hire a new driver unless they have been to a school, but for the type of driving you will do, the school will cover a lot of things that will not apply to you - like log books (or now electronic logs) and other non driving related areas.  There is no requirement to go to a CDL school in order to obtain a CDL.  All you have to do is pass whatever written test your state issues and an applied skills test.  The applied skills tests will include a demonstration of basic driving skills, basic knowledge of rules of the road and pretrip inspection skills.  If you get/need an air brake endorsement, then you will need to demonstrate an air brake test as well.  The basic requirements for these tests are set at the federal level and each state can add additional requirements specific to their state, but have to at least meet the federal requirements.  Each state has a study booklet that will give you all the information you need in order to pass their respective tests.  None of this requires going to a CDL school however.

I have my CDL, but I just went and got the study materials and studied for the various tests.  Once I felt I was ready, I went and took the tests and obtained my CDL.  I have grown up around large equipment and towing large trailers, so I didn't feel I needed the additional driving instruction (just my personal situation).

Again, if you are doing it to improve your driving skills and familiarity with HDT's then that is one thing (and would be a personal decision based on your situation).  But if you are doing it just to get a CDL, there are much cheaper ways to go about it.

By the way, I will be in Vegas for the NASCAR race at the beginning of March.  We are going to be staying at the track for the week leading up to the race if you want to meet up.  Also, hopefully you will be able to attend the WCR this year in June.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Getting a CDL is analogous to a private pilot getting more and higher ratings, commercial, then instrument, multi engine etc. There are many pilots who get such training, keep it current but rarely use it. But it makes them a better pilot. 

I have all the license and CDL ratings that are possible, tank, hazmat, doubles/triples, passenger,  and motorcycle. I don't use them all, but I stay as proficient at least in the knowledge area as I can. It is the only way a "civilian" like me can demonstrate to the world that I am a true professional with documentation provided by a state agency. I am betting that Cory feels the same way. 

Driving is such a mundane commonplace activity that is truly under appreciated when it is done properly, every minute of every drive. And with more and more challenges and higher density of traffic every day, is it possible to get too much training in this area?

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Corey, I replied in your other thread (kinda wish you hadn't started a new one). 

Jeff, I agree with YOU, a commercial driver, having and needing all the things you have. Because you NEED to have them and be able to demonstrate your proficiency. 

Cory is NOT a professional driver. And in a "worst case scenario" having the knowledge of a class is great...but putting your self out there as a "professional driver" would not be a good thing. 

I used to shoot (and certify for work) with a deputy who put every round of the qualification course in the center ring...except his last two. He would literally blow the entire center out of his target. Those two rounds were always side by side, in the white, non scoring section. No one but his co-workers ever saw those targets, only the final score was recorded in his file. One day I asked him why he obviously tossed to rounds away. He reply was that in court if he was ever asked he could say "no" that had never shot a perfect score. Would it work? I don't know, but Cory is driving a recreational vehicle. Why put himself into a higher bracket of expectation when he doesn't have to. We should all be able to say "I have the skills to be a proficient driver..see I took this course. BUT I am not a commercial driver, I do not drive the amount a commercial driver does and I do not have the skills of a professional driver because I am not one". Let your lawyer tell you whatt to say, but do not give the other side ammo to use against you, not in court or roadside. I have been to several pursuit driving schools. But I am not qualified to race at Monte Carlo or the Pikes Peak Hill Climb race. One should stay in their own "class". 

The other issue I have with a CDL is that Cory has already met some CHP guys that are confused about what he "needs" to drive his HDT. Handing them a CDL will only bolster their incorrect opinion that he needs a cdl...and a log book, and this, and that , and one of these, and some of those. Stop that way of thinking immediately...."Sir I am not commercial, this is a recreational vehicle and as such I am not required to have a CDL....here is a copy of the NV statutes that covers this, if you would like to read them". 

IMHO, Training is great.. but that CDL will cause more issues than it will solve.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I would prefer not to have my CDL, but I actually use it at work (to drive our mobile command vehicle) so I need it.  If I didn't use it at work, I would have stuck with a non-commercial class A license instead.  I agree with Big5er, if you do not need a CDL to drive your rig and you have no other need to have one it is best not to have one.  It will just lend itself to confusion if you are stopped and claim to be driving a non commercial rig not requiring a CDL, but you have one anyway just for "fun" (fun isn't the right word, but I couldn't think of a better one.)

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Sorry to go a bit off topic here but, You all have mentioned having the  documentation for your state in a binder along with all the other pertinent paperwork for the truck.
My question is I live in CA where my truck was grandfathered in before they stopped reg. them as a RV.  So does anyone (Chad) know if there is anything in the regs that I can print out and carry with me, or I just have to try and convince the officer that I'm legal.
As for the OP, I have a CDL for the last 38 yrs and like Chad it was for my job "Truck Mechanic" when I had to move equipment from one place to another.  But I will say that does not make me a professional truck driver.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I really like reading these responses. As with everything it helps to educate all of us on the forum as to what is or is not acceptable and to see what those in other states have come across or to hear the experiences of what those who have been pulled over have had happen or were able to explain to the LEO and where it went from there. This is why I started this thread, and for the people who are new to this so they can read this and understand what to do and how to do it. So if somebody started reading the forum today they would see all that has been posted and have a pretty good idea of what they needed to do. I will be the first to  admit I love and hate California that state is a different breed on everything. In Nv I have a CCW and I have reciprocity in many states but not in California or Colorado so to find out how to get through Colorado last summer I called the Highway Patrol and told them I would be going through the state and on to Kansas my home state and they gave me instruction on where to place my "little buddy" while traveling on I-70 through Colorado. That is really all I was doing at Breakfast the other morning, with the "CHiPS" at the Outpost Cafe (once more to the Outpost Cafe - everybody should stop there at least once and have a Belgium Waffle or their Chopped Sirloin - yes it is just a hamburger without a bun but it is good!) 

Anyway I would like to say thanks to all who sent me P.M.'s and everything else. I think something we all need to remember is when we write something all we get is black and white unless we use the imogies (sp?):wub::):ph34r::wacko: but we do not see facial expressions, body language or hear the voice tones. I know there is a lot of misinterpretation due to this alone of what the message is or how somebody responds. Sometimes a friendly response is misinterpreted by another forum member for one reason or another. I try not to make an assumption ever. I deal with parents sending emails all of the time about one of my 300 Freshmen I teach Biology to. I never respond by e-mail, I always call instead that way I know what the parent truly wanted to talk about and most of the time it is a positive interaction.

In closing........

Thanks to everybody out there and safe travels to all of you!

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana  

I'm a little late to this, but I think I kind of ran into the scenario that Cory is trying avoid back when I was pulled oven in TX in Nov. I shared my story and thoughts in that thread below. 

The officers original reason for pulling me over was that I didn't have a front place (which is required on commercial trucks). I had my plate on the rear of my truck since I'm an RV and GA only issues one plate. He originally was treating me as I was commercial demanding a log book and assuming I was towing my RV commercially, but the turning point in the conversation was when I produced my Class E license (Non Commercial Class A equivalent in GA). This showed him that I was legal for the weights I was towing, but my restrictions were for private use only. From that point forward the conversation changed from "you are commercial" to oh there are grey areas for RV use. I feel in that situation, a CDL may not have turned the conversation the way it did. The non commercial license in that case definitely helped me. Maybe the outcome would have been the same with a CDL, but then he may have continued to demand the commercial stuff like a log file that I didn't have. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Just for conversation- in Alberta you are required to have the class license for the vehicle configuration you are operating, whether it is commercial or not.

Hook up your "HDT" to your new air brake Space Craft "rv" and now you need the same license as a driver driving a 2 x 53ft road train...

But you are not "commercial".

Why do you folks tolerate such a complicated system? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

30 minutes ago, noteven said:

Just for conversation- in Alberta you are required to have the class license for the vehicle configuration you are operating, whether it is commercial or not.

Hook up your "HDT" to your new air brake Space Craft "rv" and now you need the same license as a driver driving a 2 x 53ft road train...

But you are not "commercial".

Why do you folks tolerate such a complicated system? 

Are you implying that all Canadian provinces apply the same regs?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

30 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Are you implying that all Canadian provinces apply the same regs?

I didn't say all Canada was the same. I say Alberta has a fairly logical system of licensing drivers. But the jurisdictions don't have a lot of differences:

Canada Driver license guide

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I didn't say all Canada was the same. I say Alberta has a fairly logical system of licensing drivers. But the jurisdictions don't have a lot of differences:

Canada Driver license guide

Although it has come across as complicated here, a large number of states follow the same system of requiring license classification consistent with the gross weight of the vehicle you are operating.  

A lot of individuals have a hard time separating the CDL factor out of the equation. Apparently there is a few states who do not offer a non commercial class A or B license, though they are the exception, not the norm.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

On 1/17/2018 at 8:20 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

I really like reading these responses. As with everything it helps to educate all of us on the forum as to what is or is not acceptable and to see what those in other states have come across or to hear the experiences of what those who have been pulled over have had happen or were able to explain to the LEO and where it went from there. This is why I started this thread, and for the people who are new to this so they can read this and understand what to do and how to do it. So if somebody started reading the forum today they would see all that has been posted and have a pretty good idea of what they needed to do. I will be the first to  admit I love and hate California that state is a different breed on everything.

You know Cory, you just might be on to something with your CDL fetish...........Ya you just might be on to something.....

So Cory you Single offhandedly may have solved the Kalifornia-Extinct-HDT-RV.......AND.......Made EVERY STATE in U S requirements for HDT-RV IDENTICAL........

Cory you go to the principals office and Demand a BIG raise in pay........

Here is how it works.........pay attention everyone......

First , I have never met Chad but he seems like a real nice fellow and he has a Kenworth so he has to have class.......now I can sense that Big5er is NOT as nice as Chad but with a few Dr Peppers he tends to mellow out OK.........so these two chaps seem to know a fair amount about commercial truck rules and regs ........BUT.........they are so "OLD SCHOOL" ..........now Cory you obviously know a fair amount "School" being a teacher with various degrees and certifications (Sorta CDL related to kids).........

Now being a current teacher we might tend to think that you might be sorta........."NEW SCHOOL".......

So Cory maybe "OLD SCHOOL" Chad & B5er know a few things about CDL but they tend to think stone age and from each states point of view..........pretty narrow views.

Now Cory you tending to be more "NEW SCHOOL"....... have a more expansive and inclusive view and take to wide view......

Now listen up ..........because I have had at times ........"TOO MUCH SCHOOL"......."OLD SCHOOL"........"KNOT-ENOUGH-SCHOOL"......"GROUND-SCHOOL"......."FLIGHT-SCHOOL".......and "SKIPPED-SCHOOL"..... so Cory I am needing to catch up a bit to grasp your  "NEW SCHOOL" concepts but being a fast learner I and catching on faster than many of the "OLD SCHOOL" geezers that pontificate at you at times here on the forum..........

So perhaps WE ALL here on the forum should..........FULLY EMBRACE the CDL and take a hint from your example and if we "OLD SCHOOL" geezers would widen our view we could SOLVE all this state by state confusion by...........by.........ALL of us DEMAND that our insurance companies REQUIRE EVERY HDT-RV owner / operator obtain AND maintain a current CDL in order to operate our HDT-RV units................SO SIMPLE......

OK "OLD SCHOOL" geezers....drop your flame throwers.......Stand Down...........the CDL will solve all of your problems and then some.

Think about it...........With a CDL:

1)  we could get some of those DOT number thingyies that we could paste on our doors

2)  we could charge wives big $$$ to truck their trailer down the road.

3) we could stop at scales

4) we could have Big5er check our slack adjusters

5) we could pay WAY more for commercial insurance

6) we could get in way more trouble for whatever traffic rules we break or bend.

7) we don't need to register the HDT as a private truck or motorhome to tow a trailer we own.

8) we could get placed out-of-service so easy.

9) we could get a med card and keep it valid.

10) we could tow our RV with a HDT in Kalifornia registered as a commercial truck.

11) we could be expected to drive to a higher level of skill.

12)  we could impress chicks at truck stops

Come on folks join here we need a complete list before we call the insurance companies and DEMAND that we all drive with a CDL.

Forget the state by state mish-mash of regs about driver licenses and truck registrations........as I seem to recall every state requires vehicles be covered by insurance AND if ALL insurance companies REQUIRED that the owner / operator of ALL HDT-RV units have to have a current CDL then the state requirements are a moot point since a true CDL exceed state requirements..........

OK Flame me.........now

Drive on........(if you have a CDL.........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It really is a bummer that my home state of CA is such a pain about all this. 

But I do agree that everyone should at least have a none commercial  (class A ) if for no other reason because I’m sure you’ll learn something positive in the process. 

On a side note the CA DMV just pulled my RV plates again for the 2nd time. I guess a CHP officer with out stopping me suggested to the DMV he thought it was titled wrong. 

I really don’t want to re title it commercial, but looks like it’s my only option. 

4 hours ago, Broncohauler said:

But I do agree that everyone should at least have a none commercial  (class A ) if for no other reason because I’m sure you’ll learn something positive in the process. 

On a side note the CA DMV just pulled my RV plates again for the 2nd time. I guess a CHP officer with out stopping me suggested to the DMV he thought it was titled wrong. 

I really don’t want to re title it commercial, but looks like it’s my only option. 

BH,

My condolences for having to go through the headache, as well as the fact that you have to live in Kalifornia.

On your point about a CHP or Officer contacting DMV complaining about how your vehicle was registered, I would wager against you on that one.  While anyone can obviously pick up a phone or send an email.  It is not that easy, even for a LEO, to get hold of anyone of influence, at an outside agency like DMV.

There are fairly simple procedures for a LEO to notify DMV if they pull over a driver and feel that they are in need of retesting for a drivers license.  But that’s about it.

For the literalists and quality control crowd, the above is my personal experience and opinion and not intended to imply that ALL states are that way....lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

4 hours ago, Broncohauler said:

Bronco- 

The problem with this is that the states don't even agree on the Class A NON-CDL.  South Dakota, for example, says, if it's not commercial,  not for hire, then their regular  Class C license applies.  The South Dakota Class C is the basic license that every driver has regardless of ability... just the ability to pass the beginner course.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Ronbo said:

If you are in California and have to register commercial, do you have to have a newer truck with all the pollution stuff.

If you are towing your RV trailer you are exempt, but running bobtail you have to comply (per my last conversation with the CA Air Quality Resource Board - which admittedly is a couple of years ago).

event.png    

29 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

So what happens if you are running bobtail without the emissions stuff? My 2010 does not have a DEF tank?

It is a violation, but I don't know the penalties off the top of my head.  Out of state trucks without the emissions stuff are allowed a limited number of miles in the state in a Calendar year, but I don't remember what that number is anymore.  There are also some exemptions for in state vehicles, but they are pretty restrictive.  I started a long thread about this about 5+ years ago when I was doing all the research for it, but that thread disappeared in the forum upgrade (??).  However, RV's are exempted from all of these rules, so if your HDT is registered as an RV, the emissions rules don't apply.

event.png    

Archived