Hello all, I just wanted to share our trip to the USS Lexington and our exploration of the venerable lady.  If you are interested check out our blog entry (not for profit blog, we do it for fun)located here: Visit to the USS Lexington Museum.  If you haven't been to "Lady Lex," and you happen to be near Corpus, please take the time (about 5 hours) to visit. It is well worth the trip. If you have bad knees you need to know that there are a lot of near vertical stairs..(psssttt it's ship).

20180108_132517-M.jpg

We've been aboard a few times and agree that if you are in the area and have not been, WELL WORTH THE TIME.   Met a lot of the volunteers that work on her - remarkable people doing remarkable work.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Met a lot of the volunteers that work on her - remarkable people doing remarkable work.

As one of the volunteers on the Lady Lex, we appreciate your comments.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On 1/13/2018 at 2:25 PM, docj said:

As one of the volunteers on the Lady Lex

I had no idea that you were a part of that crew but as one who had done a lot of volunteer work in historic sites and visited many more, and the volunteers there are doing a great job. We have been there several times and also helped a Boy Scout troop organize an overnight trip to her. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For the past ~6 years I've been one of the instructors in the education program on the Lex.  Since it came to Corpus Christi in ~1994 there has been a contract between the city school system and the ship under which students are brought on-board throughout the school year.  This year every 6th grader in the school system will come aboard and will receive 4 "mini-lessons" taught by volunteers.  This year's lessons feature the dynamics of flight, reciprocating engines, jet engines and energy conservation.  The lessons are loosely couple to the ship and, in fact, I use a large cut-away aircraft engine model in my reciprocating engine lesson.

Since the education program ends by late April, it's ideal for us and permits us to "flee" the city during the hot summer months!

Although it can be tiring (Wednesdays usually consist of 8 15-minute classes to teach), it can also be very rewarding. The volunteers and crew of the Lex are committed to maintaining the ship as the #1 tourist attraction in Corpus Christi.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We visited the Lex a couple of years ago with some friends. He and I could have spent the entire day there, but our wives had had enough much sooner. Maybe next time we're down there the wives can go shopping and the two husbands will spend the day poking around.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

6 minutes ago, TexasPSDX said:

When my son was in Scouts, spent a number of nights on board.  Love the after hours guided tours they give the boys.  We had a guide on one tour that had actually served on the Lex in WW2

That's what we currently call the "Live Aboard" program.  It's very popular with Scouts, church groups, and others and it's a big money-maker during the slow winter season.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived