Looking for a Good Samaritan in Phoenix Area

Rif

Many of you don't remember me, but I am one of the early adopters of the HDT.  I bought my 2000 770 in October of 2004, and have been using it ever since to pull our 2002 Teton.  That Teton has been our only home since 2002.  Jack, Mark, Rocky and some of the other early guys remember me I hope.  I attended one of the HDT Rally's and spent several weeks in the same RV Park as Rocky in 2012. 

After traveling the country from Florida to Alaska, California to Maine, and just about everywhere in between, the past few years we have settled into boondocking in the Yuma/Quartzsite area in the winter, and spending our summers volunteering for the Forest Service in Northern Arizona for 6 months, and spending time with kids in Texas and Tennessee in the fall.  It has become a very comfortable life.  Or it was.

In early 2015 I found I had lymphoma (thank you Agent Orange) and it took quite a bit out of me to fight it off and get back to normal.   The doctors at the Phoenix VA Hospital saved my life.  Then, just after Christmas this year we left TX to head for Yuma.  Both of us came down with what we thought was a cold along the way.  We stopped overnight on Jan 1 at RV Glass Solutions in Tolleson so they could fix a cloudy window the following day.  They have a couple electric sites for overnight customers.  I got very sick that night and by morning was unable to get out of bed.  (The people at RV Glass Solutions have been amazingly kind.  They have allowed us to stay as long as we need.  Really great people.)

By Thursday I had not improved and went to the ER.  They tested and said I had the flu, started me on Tamiflu and said to come back if it did not improve.  I returned Sunday morning and was admitted to the hospital.  It had turned into a very serious case of pneumonia.  My lymphoma compromised immune system could not fight it off well.  I was released from the hospital yesterday with the need for oxygen so I now have a rig full of oxygen bottles and an oxygen concentrator.  I am so weak that just getting myself to the bathroom exhausts me.

Obviously we need to move and will not be leaving the area for a while.  We are good at water and waste management, but we are getting close to needing to dump.  I have located an RV space in El Mirage just a few miles from here.  It is a very nice (expensive!) resort, but it was all I could find.  RV spaces in the Phoenix area rent up months in advance for the winter.  The space is available on the Monday the 15th, and I need someone to help me move the rig.  I am hoping that there is someone in the area who would be willing to help me with the move.  I will be useless for anything by some direction, but my wife knows most of it.  She can handle the trailer part of moving, but she cannot handle the truck at all.

The Volvo has a Gen 2 Autoshift.  I has an air hitch and air over hydraulic Blue Dot brakes.  Unfortunately, the available space is a back in, and I don't know how tight it will be.  I can put this trailer in anyplace it will fit, but I've had over 13 year of practice with it.

If there is someone who would be willing to help, I will be forever grateful.  My phone number is 940-453-8788 but email will work better since talking wears me out.  My email is Richard at RichardLafferty dot com.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

It looks like you guys have come through again.  Jim's brother has volunteered to come move it for us Monday.  Thanks to all of you who responded, both in email and private messaging.  Good to know we can always count on each other.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Great news! So glad someone is close enough to get you moved. 

Hoping for a quick recovery for you!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

14 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If you don't mind, there is a group on Facebook that are HDT'rs.  I'll post a link to your title here.

What is the name of the group?

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

What is the name of the group?

HDT's  It's a closed group.  Click on the page, answer the 2 questions and chances are HeavyMetal AKA Richard will approve you.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Phoenix area is a bit pricy. Have you called the Escapees Co-Op in Benson just south of Tucson They May be able to get you into a space for a lot less than Phoenix. It is about a three hour drive to Phoenix.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Thanks again, friends.  We have decided to try to find a place in the East Valley because that's where I have family and all our Dr's are located, including the Gilbert CBOC where my PCP is located.  We've got leads on a couple places but have not finalized a place yet.  I just need a simple RV park, but those are hard to find in the Phoenix area.  All these big "resorts" want $1200 per month or more!  I made the initial reservation at the closest place I could find to where we are on the West Side, thinking I might be able to make the move myself.  It quickly became obvious that was not happening.  Jim's brother is on board, and is one who suggested I try to find something out in the AJ area where they are staying.  So it looks like things are still on track.  It's just a matter of nailing down some details.  Thanks again, all.

Mountainview in AJ has openings right now. It's about as basic as you'll find, and is usually full only for Dec-Feb time frame.  (480) 982-3455 The park we're in only has random openings for the balance of the season, as do a lot of the more popular parks. 

VIP had space earlier this month, but I haven't been down there for about a week.  (480) 983-0847

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

HDT's  It's a closed group.  Click on the page, answer the 2 questions and chances are HeavyMetal AKA Richard will approve you.

Thanks.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

We didn't check the forum over the weekend & just saw this request.  It sounds like you've found someone to handle the iniitial move for you -- what a great group this is! We are at North Ranch up in Congress, and if you find yourself in need of some help to move again, we'd be happy to be of assistance however you may need it. 

We definitely remember you; you've answered a few questions from me in the past.  Hoping you're now on your way to regaining your strength...

Renee & Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

We found a spot in AJ at El Dorado Mobile Estates on Meridian just north of the Apache Trail.  Nice place with a big site and about 1/3 the cost of the big resorts.  Jim's brother is moving us tomorrow.  Thanks to all.

Way to go JIm!!

Lets hear it for CowDog!!....and his brother!!

hip_hip_hooray_anatomy_message_card-r634

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived