Microsoft: No more Windows patches at all if your AV clashes with our Meltdown fix

RV_

Folks,

You'll need to read the article, then check out the list of OK third party AV/anti-malware and make sure you get this done because if not, MS won't risk bricking your computer. The good news is that Malwarebytes and Microsoft's Windows Defender are fine. I use Malwarebytes Premium (paid for) and the built in Windows Defender.

Excerpt:

"Microsoft won't let you install future security updates until your antivirus vendor sets a specific registry key that certifies compatibility with Windows.

As part of this week's security updates for the Meltdown and Spectre CPU attacks, Microsoft required that all third-party antivirus vendors confirm compatibility with its CPU fixes and then to set a registry key in their products to certify compatibility. Without the key being set, Microsoft's security update simply won't install."

Because some antivirus vendors are using very questionable techniques they end up [causing] systems to blue screen of death -- aka get into reboot loops. This shouldn't be possible in the latest operating systems, but some antivirus vendors have managed it by taking themselves into the hypervisor... Antivirus makers really shouldn't be messing with systems like this."

He estimates there are five key vendors that use this technique. Beaumont argues Microsoft should set a date for when it will no longer require the compatibility registry key or risk a large number of machines going without patches. On the flip side, the vast majority of consumer PCs would not be using next-gen security products.

Currently, the list of fully compatible antivirus currently includes Avast, AVG, Avira, Bitdefender, ESET, F-Secure, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Sophos, and Symantec. McAfee, Trend Micro, and Webroot are among the firms that will soon join this group."

The full article with links is here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-no-more-windows-patches-at-all-if-your-av-clashes-with-our-meltdown-fix/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_related&ftag=TRE49e8aa0&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

Now once you read the article, go here for the complete list of compatible security programs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/htmlview

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Wild,

Where'd you come up with 99.9%?? I counted 17 out of 46 that were on that list and not setting the registry key or playing fast and loose with the Windows kernel, thus vulnerable to a bricking of their system if they manage to force a Windows update. 17 is 36.9565217% of 46, so 37% are not ready.

"All over-generalizations are false, including this one."

The list can inform the 10% that do not. I use only Defender and Malwarebytes premium, they do a great job. I bought five licenses for malwarebytes when they were only offering it for free, or a one time payment of $28.99 for a lifetime license. I caught it on sale for  $15.99 on sale for lifetime licenses. I just made it as they stopped selling lifetime and it costs annually now. So it gets all the updates and new versions on all my systems for life. I would buy Malwarebytes premium if I were paying for any other AV/Anti-malware program, but that is just me.

The Friutfly Mac only malware was first found a year ago only by Malwarebytes researchers who revealed it to Apple forcing them to issue a patch. The latest was uncovering the thousands no one realized were infected.

YW Duke! My pleasure.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived