I have the Jackalopee, the Hayes controller and I am terrified.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Does anyone know of a shop in the greater seattle area that is reasonably priced and qualified to do an install of these parts on my Pete, I look at all these wires and literally go weak in the knees, TERRIFIED would be a better word to describe my present condition.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

It is colour coated. Simple. Do you have the manual

Howdy Glenn,

Yes, I have downloaded the Jackalopee manual, I don't mess with wires, I don't have any of the proper tools to cut, strip, crimp the connectors. 

I am scared to death to start taking the dash of the Pete apart, to get to the air application gauge I have to remove a panel that has 15 other gauges and three air activated switches in it, that's just to get to the gauge so I can see if I can then splice into the air line, routing the air line, and the four wires that go from the controller is a task that I am NOT qualified to even think about. 

Wiring the Jackalopee if I had the proper tools is something I could probably do but in all honesty would prefer not to.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It is a little far, but if you want to bring the truck down to my place, I'd be happy to help.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

3 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

It is a little far, but if you want to bring the truck down to my place, I'd be happy to help.

Howdy Chad,

Thanks for the offer, I really do appreciate it.  The weather here is horrible, I don't have a shop to work in and I want to get this done so that when the weather does get better I can concentrate on building the Smart Car deck so I'll be ready to travel to Moab in April for the annual Ural rally that takes place then.  Thanks again for kind offer of assistance.

Dave

PS. If the weather doesn't lighten up soon, haven't seen the sun for over a month, I might burn the fuel to your home and back just to get out of this gloom.

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

I have a Maxbrake installed the”T” in the engine compartment. I know several others that have done the same with the Hayes. Will post some pics this evening. If you can find the 1/4” line supplying the gauge it will save you tearing into the dash.

As far as the Jackalopee, do you have a green coiled line with a plug for trailer lights?  If so it is not hard to wire.  I did both mine 7 years ago as a complete novice and nothing blew up.  Will see if I have pics of that also. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chad,

Thanks for the offer, I really do appreciate it.  The weather here is horrible, I don't have a shop to work in and I want to get this done so that when the weather does get better I can concentrate on building the Smart Car deck so I'll be ready to travel to Moab in April for the annual Ural rally that takes place then.  Thanks again for kind offer of assistance.

Dave

PS. If the weather doesn't lighten up soon, haven't seen the sun for over a month, I might burn the fuel to your home and back just to get out of this gloom.

No problem.  Remember, I have a nice dry shop to work in as well.  ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

3 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Dave,

I have a Maxbrake installed the”T” in the engine compartment. I know several others that have done the same with the Hayes. Will post some pics this evening. If you can find the 1/4” line supplying the gauge it will save you tearing into the dash.

As far as the Jackalopee, do you have a green coiled line with a plug for trailer lights?  If so it is not hard to wire.  I did both mine 7 years ago as a complete novice and nothing blew up.  Will see if I have pics of that also. 

Howdy SuiteSuccess,

Thanks for the tip on the air line, I never even thought of looking somewhere other then close to the gauge itself.

Yes the truck still has the green trailer wire setup.  There is a frame mounted MALE socket and then the cord itself that goes to the commercial trailer.  I bought the "kit" from Henry so it came with a FEMALE plug that goes into the truck mounted MALE socket, so I am assuming I fabricate a cord with the FEMALE plug on one end and then run that cord and it's wires into the TRUCK side of the Jackalopee, that part I have figured out, wiring the cord running to the rear of the truck that I have also figured out.

I have spent an hour sitting in the cab of the truck trying to find a place to mount the controller, so far really havn't come up with a good place to put it.  Mounting it to the drivers side of the metal tower that holds the shifter would be a great place to put it but I am afraid to drill any mounting holes it the tower for fear of hitting wires and as it's pretty well sealed up there is no way to attach the controller using nuts and bolts.  I am thinking some of that super-duper industrial grade plastic Velcro might work well in this application the controller isn't that heavy and there is no real strain on it while it's being used.

Photos would be GREAT, thank you.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Pics of my “T” and running line into Maxbrake in cab.cfbBM3el.jpgsp2ZYgjl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

More pics of connection to Maxbrake transducer inside cab  Vn5T3lKl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

22 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

No problem.  Remember, I have a nice dry shop to work in as well.  ;)

Howdy Chad,

If it weren't for the fact it would cost 5-700 bucks to drive to your home and then back to mine I would be on my way.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

More pics of connection to Maxbrake transducer inside cab  Vn5T3lKl.jpg

Howdy SS,

Thanks for the photos, I am going to see if I can find the line that goes to the gauge.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

42 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Dave, here is the direct link to Gregg's video:

Howdy Tom and Mtom,

Thanks for the link and the video, that clears up the few questions I had on the Jackalopee.  Dark outside now, if it's not raining tomorrow I'll try to find the air line going to the application gauge and see if I can tap into it without taking the dash apart.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Remember the line will have zero air until brake pedal applied. 

Howdy Glenn,

Thanks for the reminder.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

44 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Remember the line will have zero air until brake pedal applied. 

Hardest part is finding air line to tape into, be patient you will find it.  Ours was in the engine compartment, so we only had to pass the wires thru firewall.  We are all here to help

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

4 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chad,

If it weren't for the fact it would cost 5-700 bucks to drive to your home and then back to mine I would be on my way.

Dave

Dave,

Don't be a cheep COB, (cheep old boy) what do you think a shop might charge you and you would not know how they done it, the experience is worth the drive and money to get to know your truck.

Don't shoot me next time we meet up, as since I don't have twitter, I have to start it here.:rolleyes:

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

43 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Dave,

Don't be a cheep COB, (cheep old boy) what do you think a shop might charge you and you would not know how they done it, the experience is worth the drive and money to get to know your truck.

Don't shoot me next time we meet up, as since I don't have twitter, I have to start it here.:rolleyes:

Roger

Howdy Roger,

A shop would probably charge that much or more, I just hate to take advantage of a friendship when I don't have anything of value to offer other then money in exchange for the help.  I have made contact with a local guy who wired up my last semi-monster Jeep, sent him links to the Jackalopee and the Hayes controller, if Jay will take on the job I know he will do it right and I'll have a chance to get my hands dirty and hopefully learn something in the process. 

I don't do twitter either, I have enough trouble just trying to figure this and a few other on line forums out.

Oh, thanks Bob and ShortyO, for your suggestions concerning finding the air line.

It's my wish that others are also learning from all the threads I have stated concerning this build, if that is the case my ignorance and fear of jumping into unknown waters won't have been a total waste of time and forum bandwidth.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

You flip over the panel with the application gauge in it and the hose that goes in the back of the gauge is your hose.  Don't cut it;  you put a tee in the end of it and a new hose to your unit and another new one to your gauge.  You don't have to go all the way to where it comes through the floor.  Amazon yourself a good tee for in the dash:

https://www.amazon.com/SMC-KV2T07-00-fitting-union-tee/dp/B00DD7BJS4/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1515645517&sr=1-2&keywords=KV2t07-00

If you don't want to tee that line then you can use your brake light switch down at the floor pass-thru.  Take out the switch, put in a 1/4" NPT run tee, then put the switch back in.  Look for this switch.  It is not the pointy shaped Hobbs ones with the 1/4 slides on them.  Those are the low air switches.

2246072.jpg

For power you go to your spare power plugs in the middle of the cab/dash cavity and find the spare unswitched.  Put a 1/4 slide spade into it and a fuse in the spare fuse # that matches the tag of the spare you used and you have power.  You have 7 of these to hook random stuff to.  If 20A isn't enough then you need to go to the circuit breaker right next door.  Looks like this:

CDLA_120sm.gif

Put a ring terminal on your power wire and put it on the "out" with the rest of the wires hooked to it.  You now have power.  Remember where this is because it is right next to your flasher.  You'll be changing that every couple years.  You'll see a whole bunch of wires going to a ground stud in there as well.  Put your ground there.  Any trailer harness stuff you make grounds here as well.  If you pull power from the dash harness then it grounds to the dash harness.

If you are putting the light converter in the sleeper then you pull the threshold cover off from the door, run the blue wire to the side, around your intake tubes, down the cowl, across the threshold, and into that toolbox.  I guess you could chop a hole in the floor to run a fat green trailer cable in as well, but the Peterbilt harness in the other thread keeps it all inside the cab and routes the same way as the blue wire.

Yes you are going to play whack-a-mole with popped out gauges for a week afterwards and gauge backlights are gonna keep falling off for the life of the truck.  That is the nature of the beast not being computer controlled and full optioned.  There's wires and hoses.  Lots of them.  They're all that way.

For the controller, Peterbilt would just use a self tapper or five.  A KW would have an AVK and a locktited screw.  If velcro works, no harm in that.  You are a machinist man, you can drill a pilot hole without poking too deep at full speed.  Nothing different here.  The big connectors and mass of wires is at the bottom with just some random wires in the middle.

The reason it is so daunting is cuz you aren't ready to harness just yet.  Make us a list of what all is going in and where it is going to mount.  Then we can figure the wires and best way to get signals to where they need to be.

Archived