I have the Jackalopee, the Hayes controller and I am terrified.

mr. cob

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy SS,

Tomorrow I'll throw a CD with some heavy bass in the CD player, crank it up open the storage door and give a listen, I know this truck has quite a few regular speakers in it so maybe this is some kind of subwoofer thingamabob.

Dave

That should work.  Don’t get too much into the music or you may start twerking also then GeorgiaHybrid would really be bleaching his eyes😎

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy All,

Got a couple of things done to day between rain, almost rain, pouring down rain, and just plain old rain. Placed the micro wave in one of the sleeper cabinets I think I can run a few screws up from the roof of the cloths closet to hold it securely in place. 

When I bought the truck 6 weeks ago they installed 3 new batteries, today I installed a 4th battery of the same size, part number and brand so my battery bank is now complete. 

Oh, that black box back in the under bunk storage area I have been asking questions about, well it IS a speaker.  I put one of my favorite Dire Straits, CD's ( Brothers in Arms ) in the CD player, cranked it UP and sure enough went back into the sleeper put my hand on the sheet metal in front of and under the bunk and it was MOVING in time to the music.  I can't hear now I will surly be stone deaf by the end of this coming summer but I am going to have a smile on my face.

Just to reassure any who may be concerned, NO TWEAKING OR TWERKING was indulged whilst conducting this electronic-musical experiment nor will it be engaged in at any time in the future.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

If you like “Brothers in Arms” get “Neck and Neck”.  Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler-two of the greatest guitarists ever.  Guaranteed you’ll just sit and listen and not be tempted to twerk.  BTW congrats on your progress.  Can’t wait to see it.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Dave,

If you like “Brothers in Arms” get “Neck and Neck”.  Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler-two of the greatest guitarists ever.  Guaranteed you’ll just sit and listen and not be tempted to twerk.  BTW congrats on your progress.  Can’t wait to see it.

Howdy SS,

I have a very difficult time talking about musical interests, except for a very few well known bands, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dire Straits, Willy Nelson, etc I love all kinds of music but if my life depended on it I can rarely name the song or the group who plays it.  I am the same way with Classical music, I LOVE it but other then Beethoven or Wagner whose music I can instantly recognize simply for its style and  intensity I don't have a clue who wrote or is playing what I enjoy listening to.  Darn good thing I am a world class BS'er and spinner of tall tales to make up my lack of other worthwhile accomplishments.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 1 month later...

Howdy All,

Its time to update this thread, first off THANK YOU "Scrap" Brain, there is no way I could have done this job with the expertise and professionalism that you brought to the task, your help is greatly appriciated.

After careful deliberation it was decided to install the Jackaloppe and the inverter-charger in the storage area under the bunk on the drivers side of the sleeper.  First remove the fire extinguisher and peel back the mat and carpet that covers the bottom so work could begin.  Yet to be removed is the fire extinguisher bracket, the two round cylindrical thingies are water proof connectors half of which will go under the floor of the compartment the other half will be on topIMG_2775-L.jpg

Drilling the mounting holes for the inverter-charger.IMG_2776-L.jpg

Brian, demonstrates how to use a tool that installs a threaded insert into a sheet metal panel this made much of the job easier.IMG_2777-L.jpg

Brain, starts on the wiring while I mount the Jackaloppe and inverter-charger.

IMG_2779-L.jpg

I have temporarily mounted the Jackalopee, the holes on either side of the Jackalopee will be used to route the wires to and from it.IMG_2778-L.jpg

The Jackalopee is now wired, the ends of the wires will be connected to the plugs that are installed in the floor of the compartment.fullsizeoutput_3048-L.jpg

Here the Jackalopee is installed and connected.IMG_2783-L.jpg

This shows the underside of the compartment, these studs will be connected to the truck batteries.IMG_2788-L.jpg

This shows the inside of the compartment, the cables running from the batteries to the inverter-charger will be attached to this ends of the studs.IMG_2787-L.jpg

This orange wire comes from the outside mounted shore power plug and will plug into the inverter-charger.IMG_2785-L.jpg

This is the outside mounted shore power plug.IMG_2789-L.jpg

The Jackalopee and the inverter-charger are now fully mounted and wired, now its time to run wires to the 110 volt outlets in the sleeper.IMG_2803-L.jpg

After using and inventing words that would make a sailor blush whilst tearing apart the insides of the sleeper to route wires through impossible places I ended up with this, it turned out quite well.  These 12 volt and 110 volt outlets are in the top storage compartment, the micro wave is mounted directly below in the lower compartment.IMG_2800-L.jpg

Micro wave, ready to use.IMG_2797-L.jpg

That completes the electrical work.  The Hayes controller was also wired and the air line plumbed but it seems they sent me a bad controller, the red light stays on constantly they are now sending me another unit.  I'll post photos of that when I get the new controller installed.  Stay tuned.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That Brian character is a pretty smart fella to be an engineer. That is one clean install and looks to be the same invertor setup as my factory unit in our KW. Come to think about it, it probably is the same unit as he spec'd that one out as well. Dave, that is a nice looking job that will last for the life of the truck.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

12 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

That Brian character is a pretty smart fella to be an engineer. That is one clean install and looks to be the same invertor setup as my factory unit in our KW. Come to think about it, it probably is the same unit as he spec'd that one out as well. Dave, that is a nice looking job that will last for the life of the truck.

Howdy GH,

Brian, sent me a list of stuff to buy and where to get it, I had no idea what most of it was and now after working with it still don't really know what half of those parts do but it all came together and that's what counts. 

Oh forgot to tell you folks this, we did the work in the super secret KW skunk works building that doesn't really exist.  What a place to work, super well equipped shop, very CLEAN and full of experimental stuff, Brian told me that one of the trucks there was worth over 2.5 million bucks.  No I didn't take any photos but I sure wanted to as I have never seen a truck setup like that one some pretty star wars stuff I'll tell ya.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, dblr said:

Very impressed, wish I was not on the east coast as I have some upgrades I need to do and need a helper like you had.

Howdy dblr

In truth I was the helper, Brian did all of the difficult under the truck work and figureing out what components to use.  I helped when there was something I could do and spend considerable time staying out of the way.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

15 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy dblr

In truth I was the helper, Brian did all of the difficult under the truck work and figureing out what components to use.  I helped when there was something I could do and spend considerable time staying out of the way.

Dave

That sound like the same way I help, dad always said if you can not do the job be the best gopher you can to help.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

• Phil D changed the title to I have the Jackalopee, the Hayes controller and I am terrified.

Howdy All,

OK, time to finish this thread as the Jackalopee has been installed and today I just finished up installing the Hayes Brake Controller.

The first unit that Hayes sent me didn't work properly, the red light was ON all the time.  I contacted Hayes they sent me a new unit that I just finished putting in.  It works. :D

The red light is OFF when the brakes are not applied.

IMG_2844-L.jpg

The red light is ON when the brakes are applied.

IMG_2846-L.jpg

I reinstalled all the lower dash panels, man what a job hope I NEVER have to take them out or put them in again.  So now for all practical purposes, the Pete, is ready to tow.  YafrekinHoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Very nice.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been researching back and forth between my thread and Mr. Cob's thread.  I came at this subject sideways, not understanding what my truck is or is not equipped with.  No hijacking here, just my attempt to tie these two threads together for searching later.

INSTALLATION VIDEO HERE:  EATON ROADRANGER

Battery charging Volvo VNL730    OLDER BATTERIES 2013 VOLVO

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

4 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

can you list the make/model of the waterproof connectors, wire, etc., that you used. That is a nice way to connect things through panels. 

Howdy lockmup68,

"IF" your request was directed at me, I have no idea what the connectors are called or where to get them, they were supplied by Scrap when we did the installation.  Perhaps he can answer your questions.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I have been researching back and forth between my thread and Mr. Cob's thread.  I came at this subject sideways, not understanding what my truck is or is not equipped with.  No hijacking here, just my attempt to tie these two threads together for searching later.

INSTALLATION VIDEO HERE:  EATON ROADRANGER

Battery charging Volvo VNL730    OLDER BATTERIES 2013 VOLVO

Howdy Sculptor,

Thanks for posting that video I am sure it will be of help to many who take on this task.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

The connectors are Deutsch HDP24-24-9S and the wire is a straight Phillips Lectraflex (the green cable).  The cable going to the back of the truck was the RV cable that came in his Jackalopee kit.  I took his trailer plug off and cut the green cable back till I hit fresh copper.  Put the Deutch on the end of that and routed it over to the sleeper toolbox floor.  I fillet'd an old sun-baked green trailer cable for its wires and used that as the makeup wire from the floor to the converter and from converter back to floor.  Then the RV wire got a Deutsch on the end of it and back to the end of the truck.  The RV wire was a lot smaller than I imagined so I had to pin the 'out' connector differently so the right gauges were in the right holes.  Good or bad I don't know but it made for a lot more reliable crimps.  The connectors are also installed backwards from how a truck would normally be.  Mr Cob wanted it so you could twist them off and pull the whole converter out to work on it on a bench, which made sense to me.

Had I done it all over again I'd probably buy a P92-1922 KW body junction harness and ran that from the 'out' connector to the back of the truck instead of the RV wire.  I'd probably also buy the KW trailer extension harness (forgot the PN but it is basically a green cable with a Deutsch on either end), chop it in half, and use that as the in and out of the Jackalopee.  Then you'd only have one hand crimped connector (old trailer plug end) and three machine crimped connectors.  It would be much more reliable on the 10 and 8 ga wires.  They aren't easy to do..

Connectors:

https://laddinc.com/product/?sku=HDP26-24-9SE-L024

Archived