Log Books

OWV

I'm new to Escapees and to the discussion forum so not sure if this topic has already been covered.  If it has, can someone please direct me to the thread.  If it hasn't, can anyone recommend a good maintenance, trip or general log book that can make it easy to keep track of these kinds of things/

Thanks and regards,

OWV

If you have a DP a VMSpc will keep track of all maintenance items for you.

Or you can make up one yourself with spreadsheets on a PC.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Welcome to the Escapees RV club and to the forums! We are happy that you have joined us so please feel free to participate an all of the subject areas. We have not kept an overall log of our travels and maintenance but we do keep a log of all RV maintenance. Are you seeking something that you would track fuel, maintenance, campgrounds, and comments, all in one book? If so we do have several members who currently use one so help should be coming.

Just consider this to be a big, Escapee hug!   :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I use a notebook for recording where we stay. A couple of sentences is sufficient. I'm thinking of making some sort of chart to find information more quickly.

I have a notebook for all maintenance stuff. Easy enough to look back to see when service is due.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

21 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

I use a notebook for recording where we stay. A couple of sentences is sufficient. I'm thinking of making some sort of chart to find information more quickly.

I have a notebook for all maintenance stuff. Easy enough to look back to see when service is due.

I do the same except for the actual recording and searching for specifics . I happen to have a DW that does both those for me . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

go to the office supply store, can find a number of "fancy" books to do the job

just need to log miles date, and what was done and staple the receipts to said page.

even a good ring bound "loose leaf" note pad. and you can even keep a couple pens inside the rings.

most chain auto parts stores have a little cheap one for sale.

I use a simple MS Word Document, with a table format... creating cells (boxes) for the category of data I want to capture.   In essence, I capture all dates, services, problems, parts, vendors, mileage on the MH as well as the Generator and Toad.   I would be glad to share with you if you email me.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Excel spreadsheet for all maintenance on the DP.    We separate out routine maintenance, repair, upgrades.  

I don't worry about keeping track of RV parks anymore.   

We use app for the smart phone (MileageKeeper) for DP mileage.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, Biker56 said:

If you have a DP a VMSpc will keep track of all maintenance items for you.

Or you can make up one yourself with spreadsheets on a PC.

I don't understand DP a VMSpc.  Can you please explain?  Thank you.

Regards,

OWV

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Welcome to the Escapees RV club and to the forums! We are happy that you have joined us so please feel free to participate an all of the subject areas. We have not kept an overall log of our travels and maintenance but we do keep a log of all RV maintenance. Are you seeking something that you would track fuel, maintenance, campgrounds, and comments, all in one book? If so we do have several members who currently use one so help should be coming.

Just consider this to be a big, Escapee hug!   :)

Thank you for the big, Escapee hug and he kind welcome.  I am primarily interested in tracking fuel and maintenance.  I think we will try to use a mapping tool to track travels and campgrounds.

Regards,

OWV

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, rdickinson said:

I have a couple of pages that might help.  Scott or Mr Seas and I went thru this last year.  I can send his original to you and mine which was modified.  You could make your own changes, no problem.

Send me an e-mail address.

Roger

Thank you.  Email address is wbo@theoverbays.com  

Regards,

OWV

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, Jim & Alice said:

I use a simple MS Word Document, with a table format... creating cells (boxes) for the category of data I want to capture.   In essence, I capture all dates, services, problems, parts, vendors, mileage on the MH as well as the Generator and Toad.   I would be glad to share with you if you email me.

Thank you.  I would appreciate that.  The email address is wbo@theoverbays.com

Regards,

OWV

11 minutes ago, OWV said:

I don't understand DP a VMSpc.  Can you please explain?  Thank you.

Regards,

OWV

VMSpc is a device that hooks to a diesel pusher (DP) diagnostic port and to a Windows computer to show you about everything about your engine, transmission, etc.  About $300 and well worth it, since I have one.  Large diesel engines do not use the ODBII port your car has, where you can get a $20 Bluetooth device to talk to your smartphone.

Link on VMSpc - http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/node/6 .  This is someone selling it for $306 - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/VMS-to-6-Pin-Diagnoistic-Port-p/vmspc6.htm .

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

10 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

VMSpc is a device that hooks to a diesel pusher (DP) diagnostic port and to a Windows computer to show you about everything about your engine, transmission, etc.  About $300 and well worth it, since I have one.  Large diesel engines do not use the ODBII port your car has, where you can get a $20 Bluetooth device to talk to your smartphone.

Link on VMSpc - http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/node/6 .  This is someone selling it for $306 - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/VMS-to-6-Pin-Diagnoistic-Port-p/vmspc6.htm .

Thank you.  I will check it out.

Regards,

OWV

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

OWV, I just emailed the Word Document to you that I mentioned.   Sorry to be delayed in getting to you but we have been traveling and just arrived at our destination... and catching up on things.

Any questions, I included my email ID.

Jim

Got it and have already sent you a quick thank you note.  I appreciate you keeping this on your radar screen.

Regards,

OWV

• 5 weeks later...

Don't have a log book or a blog we are on the road having fun. We keep all documentation of maint and repair in a big ole  brown envelope.. Follow Ford  maint schedule and after years of RV'ing we kind of know what maint needs to be done on the 5th wheel.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

As an owner operator leased to several carriers over the years, the DOT requires us to maintain a maintenance log book of all repairs and maintenance. It is usually a simple affair like mentioned above, a spreadsheet looking page with columns along the top for date, mileage, nature of work done, who did it, and where. maybe 15 rows of entries per page. 

I do 100,000 miles a year, and now on an 18 year old tractor, so I have plenty of entries, but not hard to page back and find out when I replaced a set of tires, or installed a new turbo charger. No need to over think this. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived