Big day tomorrow!!

Tom'sRedwood38GK

As more of a lurker around here, I have enjoyed all the topics and things to learn with yet more to learn. I am leaving in the morning for AZ to pick up our new to us truck. Funny thing is, 6 months ago I would have never considered this as an option to tow our 41.5 ft. Crossroads Redwood. After doing a number of things to our current 1 ton Dodge dually it just didn't feel right towing. So I decided to seek out and go on the hunt for an M2 Medium sized truck only to find out the prices were not conducive to being able to retire without a big truck payment. That is when I stumbled onto the HDT option and how many in the HDT community are so close and not afraid of sharing their story as an option to consider for a tow vehicle.  Well now I will be one of those owners and it has been one hell of a journey to get to this point no dought.  Find truck, check, Drivers license upgraded, check,   Insurance, check, Flight secured to go pick up, check, packed and ready to roll, check, now time to hope this leap of faith I am taking works out as good as I hope it will.  So with that, I want to thank everyone here for all the input and selfless hours of posts in helping each other with everyday problems and ideas that come to each and everyone's minds.  At high noon tomorrow, I become part of the family and proud owner of a 1999 Volvo VLN 610, Detroit D60, 12.7 Ltr, 10 Speed Eaton manual trans. singled and ready to take on a job towing my future fulltime home with retirement around the corner.  Looking forward to learning more and tricking out our new rig to make this community proud carrying on this new way of thinking.  Some say the dark side but I say let the light shine bright and build a tradition that gives one the spark to follow all of us into the safe zone.  Sure hope  I can get some rest tonight I have a bunch of miles to put in over the next couple of days!!  Which to be honest I haven't felt like a kid waiting for Santa in a long long time.  Is this normal?

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

It is already done and is currently titled as a motorhome in the past 1st Oregon and then AZ now heading to TX.  I need a scale ticket, Inspection, Fill out some paperwork and take 2 photos one of the inside of the truck and one of the outside.  Pay the for title transfer, registration, and sales tax done deal.   I was going to convert a former commercial tractor but that was going to be a much bigger task and require more of an unknown budget.

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

Congrats on the step up.  You're gonna love this experience.  Ever since 1971 when I joined the military I always thought about these asphalt monsters and what it would be like to drive one on our nation's highways.  Now some 40 years later after crewing KC-135s and the monster KC-10s Extenders I've finally got my chance to get one...just like you and to get out and enjoy and appreciate the power and excitement of these behemoths barrelling down the highway.  Trust me....heads will turn when you pull into a campground or fuelstop.  I am so grateful I didn't climb into a rig when I was a kid to make a living.  I think alot of the glitter would have dissipated by now but having gone from heavy air to heavy truck I'm just hoping to get another 30 years.....probably not....in these rigs.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the run.

Howdy Tom,

Welcome to the world of towing with a REAL truck, your gonna LOVE it.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Welcome and congrtas, you will love your decision. I was basically in the same boat at you and was also lucky to find one on here with the Smart all ready to go. Good luck and a safe ride home with your new truck!!!!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Hi Tom,

Congratulations !  Be safe on your trip home. Take your time traveling. Please post pictures when you get home with the truck. My first truck was a '98 Volvo VNL 420 with a Cummins N14 and a super 10 transmission.

Have fun. You will be starting to make stories,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Tom      Welcome to our side! You will really enjoy towing. It is such a difference. I towed with a 550 Ford for 5 years and for the lase 7 years have been towing with our 98 610 with a N14 Cummins and the super 10. we currently have a 43' Mesa Ridge. We are full time but now that we are retired we are on the road for longer periods of time. I will never tow with a little truck again. Where is home? You sure would be welcome at the ECR in Crossville Tenn.April 21st. Have a safe trip home and hope to see you on the road.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Welcome to the dark side. 

Please send a self addressed stamped envelope to receive your complimentary toothpick and chain-drive wallet.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

22 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Welcome to the dark side. 

Please send a self addressed stamped envelope to receive your complimentary toothpick and chain-drive wallet.

ROTFLMAO Good one both slightly used I bet..... What a kick in the butt brought her home bucking some pretty bad winds the whole way. 1000 miles bobtail 12.7 running 68-70 MPH over all mileage.   I am very pleased and looking foward to having something to blow some money on since I got rid of my Harley. Come on Birthdays and Xmas!!!

Tom    Don't worry there will be plenty of things you can blow your money on! We have had our 98 610 for 7 years now and I remember the 1st time I climbed up into the cab. What a feeling. So glad you made it home safe and sound. Where is home? ECR in Apr? Hope to see you on the road. Be Safe.   Pat

The Old Sailor

The truck has been through multiple inspections. 1st one was all the neighbors climbed right on up and we had a block party right there in the street. Then this morning got the state inspection done again everyone at the shop had to take a look. Then to the scales and stop by a couple of places to have the front end steering looked at since it was kind of hard to handle at times in the rutted roads and where the crown in the road was large.  Found a shop three blocks from my house and they lifted it up check it all over and found nothing wrong everything looking great. The tires are wearing even but then checked the tire pressure and let out around 10 pounds on each of the fronts to 100PSI. Also learned a few things that might have made the truck a little squirrely the rear tires I was told take around three thousand miles to wear in with the truck, then they will become more stable. Also, the wind may have had more to do with it than I thought.  Overall the truck is ready for a title change and registration Monday have to go to work tomorrow or it would have been tomorrow.

Way to go. And if you need it, I can get you a link. To the the PDF engine book on the 12.7 in the truck. I think its bookmarked in my Favorites. If not will look it back up. I bought the $12. CD of it, then found it free online. And its better online then the CD.

I have its little cousin, the 11.1 1995 model. Same block just different rod length and a few other things.

event.png

On 1/12/2018 at 11:10 PM, Pete Kildow said:

Way to go. And if you need it, I can get you a link. To the the PDF engine book on the 12.7 in the truck. I think its bookmarked in my Favorites. If not will look it back up. I bought the $12. CD of it, then found it free online. And its better online then the CD.

I have its little cousin, the 11.1 1995 model. Same block just different rod length and a few other things.

Thanks, Pete,

I will add this information as a must have.  I do have the complete original manual in a three-ring binder.  Wow, there is enough reading there to keep you busy in the bathroom for a couple of years......                                                                                                                                      I would love to attend the ECR in April but since I have to work for 1 year and a half yet.  I am going to be headed to the Panhandle of NE for a couple of months to collect my productivity bonus for the year. I want to get back home for the Summer to enjoy our backyard one more time before we sell out next spring.  Since I am going to retire after June 7th, 2019 it will give me another full year to add to my retirement based on fiscal year.  Then I hope to have the good graces to attend many of these rallies.

Archived