2018 West Coast Rally

Chad Heiser

7 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I have never had the problem of WHO I am going to work for, as I am a contractor and have been running my own company since 1992.  But, the ups and downs of the industry is certainly constant.  Right now, the whole tariffs thing is really affecting my business.  Cement, rebar and steel are big parts of my business and so seems like fewer projects going out to bid.  Just trying to hang on for a few more years and then I can do something else.  Will have some real estate investments paid off and can then use that as monthly income.  Looks like SS might be a question mark in the near future.  Last I saw, the Administration is looking at some reduction in benefits to keep it afloat. 

Problem around here is that we only have one union contractor left  locally the rest come from out of town. the out of town contractors come and go . So that is where the unpredictability comes in play.  Now here is the catch. because you are most likely a non union contractor you can work for any body and and not have any issues. Probably  stay pretty buisy .Being a union journeyman carpenter my hands are tied the union dictate who you work for and where.in order to keep your benefits . 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your work world.  I have a buddy that is trying to replace some bad years as a Union millwright.  Same union in most places.  He has to take work wherever to get himself to full retirement, so far he has 30+.  I am based in So Cal but work from Calgary to Mexican border.  Busy is relative, as the lure of travel for work has gone away a long time ago, so dont really want to do much of that, but we have to go where the work is.  I used to run 20 guys but today I mostly self-perform.  Its easier and less stress, and I make enough to meet my needs.  Just wish work was more plentiful locally.

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I understand your work world.  I have a buddy that is trying to replace some bad years as a Union millwright.  Same union in most places.  He has to take work wherever to get himself to full retirement, so far he has 30+.  I am based in So Cal but work from Calgary to Mexican border.  Busy is relative, as the lure of travel for work has gone away a long time ago, so dont really want to do much of that, but we have to go where the work is.  I used to run 20 guys but today I mostly self-perform.  Its easier and less stress, and I make enough to meet my needs.  Just wish work was more plentiful locally.

Whether it is union or non union I have the utmost respect for any body who works in the construction field it is a hard carrier to take on not only physically but also mentally. Keep em straight level and plumb.

Howdy WCR attendees 

I would appreciate it if someone who has electric knowledge could take a look at the light cord that connects the trailer to the truck on my trailer.

I am having intermittent problems with the tail lights I suspect crusty terminals on the cord but have no way to test this.

I would also like someone to observe the engine mounts when I back the truck up a couple of feet I am getting a bad shudder when I back up and am trying to track down if it is the mounts or possibly the clutch, this is the first time I have driven the truck with a load so this is the first time that I have noticed this problem. 

I am parked in site B-90, thanks for stopping by if can help me out.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Even though we had to leave the WCR earlier than we wanted it was great seeing our past Rally friends and making new friends, there's nothingbetter than Truck Talk. Donna & I really enjoyed ourselves and the trip has made us wonder...do we really want to sale our Truck?

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I had to head out this morning, but thank you all for your warm welcome, for showing me your amazing HDTs, and showing off your beautiful 5ers.  I learned a ton in just a day and a half with you. Next time, I’ll bring Nicole with me and plan to stay longer.  You’ve cured me of my thoughts of pulling 24000lbs with an F-450.  😆

Howdy All,

Just a quick note of thanks to all who did presentations during this years WCR, especially Chad, Mark and Dave, please forgive me if I have forgotten anyone.  These folks explained things in language that even "I" who is ignorant of such matters learned something about each of the topics that were discussed.  Also thanks to Dennis, and Dave, who helped me with my tail light problem with any kind of luck that issue is now solved.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

All the presentations are now complete.  They were all very good.  I am very happy with how the rally has turned out.  We have one more group gathering this evening.  Not sure if that will be inside or outside (we’ll let the weather determine that).

Everyone has been great.  We had 26 sites here at the park with 52 adults and 10 kids in attendance.  Many of them were first time WCR attendees.  I have met some great new people and reacquainted myself with some old friends.  I’m sad to see it come to an end.  I’m already looking forward to next year and this year isn’t even done yet.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Just a quick note of thanks to all who did presentations during this years WCR, especially Chad, Mark and Dave, please forgive me if I have forgotten anyone.  These folks explained things in language that even "I" who is ignorant of such matters learned something about each of the topics that were discussed.  Also thanks to Dennis, and Dave, who helped me with my tail light problem with any kind of luck that issue is now solved.

Dave

The Darkside has some of the most talented and giving people I know, wish we could have been there!  A special thanks goes out to Chad for helping us with our solar installation (in Michigan) during the WCR.  Hope to cross paths someday.  

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Howdy All,

Here is a link to the photos I took at this years rally, I took photos of the pot luck dinner and I think I took a photo of everyone's truck, if I missed your truck please get a hold of me so I can include your truck in this gallery I am in site B-90.  Feel free to use these photos for your own personal use.

https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/2018-HDT-WCR-participant-truck-photos/i-hzZrHS9

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All WCR attendees,

I am not much a late night socializer so we didn't get a chance to say any goodbyes last evening, we're getting ready to pull out within the next hour or so, just wanted to drop a short note to All'Ya'All.

This was Donna's first HDT rally she enjoyed meeting and talking to you folks commented on some of the pretty trucks and in general had a good time.  I as always enjoyed the seminars and I must admit the stories of others and have been known to spin a tall tale myself.  In short fun was had, things were learned, old friendships renewed and new friends found.  I would call that a most successful rally.  Thanks again to Chad and all the others who worked so hard to pull this off, see ya next year.  Safe travels everyone.

Dave, Donna, and Newt

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We are getting ready to pull out as well. Even though we were late arriving the rally was great. I have not met a better group of people than those that we meet here. Thank you Chad for continuing to organize this event. You have done an outstanding job. Looking forward to next year. 

I got up and watched a few rigs pull out this morning.  Several of us are sticking around for at least one more night.  I hope everyone has safe travels leaving the rally.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Thank you to everyone. We had a great time and plan on making the next one. 

Chad that you for taking time out of your daily life to make this happen this year. It turned out great. We got to see friends from past WCR's and met a lot of new people.

Again thank you all. :)

Eileen, Tom and Maleah

Howdy All,

We just pulled into our driveway about 10 minuets ago now the job of unloading all the food stuff.  This darn truck is going to get me in trouble it’s too much FUN to play on the grades and Passes, I took the long way home just to climb two more Passes. Yes I know I ain’t right in the head but I sure had a good time.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,   Oh those kitty-kats.

I still remember when  my four and a quarter was a big dog.    E.P.                                                                                                                                                        

A shout out to all the West Coast HDT Rally participants. A big thank you to all. We came to the rally not knowing what to expect. Our goal was to gather information on HDTs. The hospitality was exceptional. The information brought forth was truly amazing. The knowledge we gained was far beyond what one could expect. House goes up for sale shortly. We hope to make the transition to full time as quickly as possible. As they day "God willing and the creek don't rise", we will be back in a year with an HDT. Again thank you for the hospitality. And, Chad, great job in organizing this function. Safe travels to all. 

Regards,

Chuck and Cheryl Beaty

I made it home after about 12 hours or so on the road today.  I had a great time and really appreciate all the positive feedback regarding the rally.  

For those of you who like to plan ahead, I have blocked Monday June 10, 2019 to Monday June 17, 2019 with Ambassador RV Resort for next year’s rally.  We decided to bump it up to a week long event next year.

I’m already looking forward to next year’s event and hope to see you there.

event.png    

I made it home Tuesday about 6:00 pm. Spent the night in Green River Utah truck stop. Left early Tuesday morning. Thanks Chad for all the hard work. For my first rally  it was great hope to be back next year. Would like to thank everyone, what a great bunch of people. All the help and information is greatly appreciated. 

We should finally make it home this afternoon....took us 4 days to do 1,000 miles....so much to see and do....love using the truck in the high mountains in Colorado.....The wife and I had a great time and met some fantastic folks....we already are looking forward to the week long event next year.  I will bring more of my equipment though.....  Thanks Chad!

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Archived