South Dakota domicile question....

We're in the process of selling our home and declaring domicile in South Dakota. I emailed the DOL in SD and asked what needed to be done to license our MDT. They responded that will need to pay declared gross on non-commercial tonnage and need to include the weight of the 5th wheel and have a tonnage decal on the truck. Any idea what they mean?

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

If your MDT is already licensed in another state as a "motorhome" or "totorhome" the transition is very painless.  They have recognized & transferred these in the past.

Without me being able to create a link I would suggest the following to get you started.  Also, if you are going to use a mail service out of SD, they can most likely navigate you through the process.

For starters: Drop down to the HDT forum on the Escapee's Forum Site

Click on Heavy Haulers Resource Guide

Click on-The HDT Decision which brings up a drop down menu

Click on-State Listing of HDT Registrations

Click on-South Dakota

I'm not sure if all of the info. will pertain to your MDT but it should help you to look there & to also check with the MDT site on the forum, as well.

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Your registration is based on a % of the weight. When we registered a fifth wheel there I had to give them a picture of the weight rating sticker.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

My reply was to help get you started.  I was hoping that MDT registration would be similar.  My suggestion to check on the MDT forum might serve you better.

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

I used Americas Mailbox and they did all of it for me without my needing to go to SD.  I have an MDT(IH 4700) and 5er(Newmar KA).  They handled it for a reasonable fee and continue to manage that for us.  We have found them to be professional and excellent customer service.

Marcel

We're with Your Best Address and registered our MH while we were in Oklahoma. Yes, they charge a fee for going over to the courthouse, but that was FAR cheaper than driving from Oklahoma to South Dakota and back.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived