Propane Regulator Adjustment

jammerjan

I just did a check of my trailer's propane system with a U-tube manometer. There were no leaks, but the regulator is only putting out 9.5" of water column. I went to adjust the regulator and found a flat aluminum disk where the adjusting screw should be. There seemed to be no way to remove this disk. Has anyone successfully removed a flat aluminum disk and gained access to the adjusting screw? Or are they making propane regulators so cheap now that they can't be adjusted?

Standard is generally 10". I wouldnt waste my time trying to get that 1/2" out og it and I don't think your appliances will notice the difference.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I can see where you could have a heavy draw on your system (furnace and water heater on at the same time) and you try to cook something the burner flame might be small. The regulators are of the "less expensive" variety ans even if you got the cap off it may not be adjustable. I would go to a propane supplier and purchase a new regulator from them. The normal pressure should be 11 inches water column, but you knew that otherwise you wouldn't know that the pressure was low.........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

1 hour ago, Mntom said:

The normal pressure should be 11 inches water column, but you knew that otherwise you wouldn't know that the pressure was low.........

That would be my guess as well. And that pressure should be measured at the inlet to an appliance and is usually done at the stovetop. On adjusting it, not all RV pressure regulators are adjustable and it sounds like you may have one of those. If the regulator is 10+ years old, I'd just replace it with a new one. You can get a reasonably good quality one from Amazon for about $30. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have used propane in vehicles, tractors two homes and many rv's over the last 35 years. I have only replaced one regulator in that time and it was due to putting of a odor not bad pressure.  The RVDOCTOR suggest checking pressure annually which is just generating business.  The propane industry is very over cautious. If they thought this should be done it would be mandatory without a doubt. One last thing DO NOT let your propane supplier know you are playing with regulator pressure or he will go crazy. Good luck!

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

48 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

For a good read on the pressure and system click here:

What he leaves me wondering is, when propane goes through that orifice, where does it go then? Out into the shop where he is working?

LP-Test-Device---Orifice.jpg

49 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

What he leaves me wondering is, when propane goes through that orifice, where does it go then? Out into the shop where he is working?

LP-Test-Device---Orifice.jpg

Apparently so, but the amount of time required to do the test properly is not enough time to build up an unsafe explosive mixture. I bet he is sure to not point it at any ignition source though........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Actually, you probably could. The glowing ash from a cigarette is approximately 752 degrees (http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm)

and the ignition temperature od propane in air is approximately 920 to 1020 degrees. ( http://www.propane101.com/aboutpropane.htm )

I would strongly suggest you don't smoke around any flammables, but the ignition source would be more of an issue........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I disagree with Dan Johnson, respectfully. If you don't know what you are doing for sure with propane do not mess with the equipment.  You might get away with it but somethings are not worth the risk even to save a little and I am the original cheapskate,   I am also a guy that had a propane delivery truck catch fire and burn while I was driving.  I also had 2 of the cheap regulators on a portable stove and a proapane heater catch fire over my 50 years of using it. I am not afraid of it but I am extemely respectful of it.

7 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Certainly no expert, but with all the cold weather in a lot of places, I am wondering what the temperature is where your propane tank is.

I am not expert either but I did heat a house with propane for several years while living in WY. We saw temperatures down to -20°F or so more than once and never had problems with propane delivery to our house. It seems that appliances in a house use the same maximum pressure (14" water column) as do RV appliances, according to propane 101.

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the feedback. If you want to build your own U-tube Manometer, go to www.rverscorner.com/articles/manometer.html  A manometer is easy and cheap to build and this articles also teaches you how to use it. I built one and I do my own check of the propane system annually. Better safe than sorry.

On 1/6/2018 at 2:31 PM, Ranger Smith said:

Standard is generally 10". I wouldnt waste my time trying to get that 1/2" out og it and I don't think your appliances will notice the difference.

All LP appliances in our MH call for 11" minimum water column. Of course there could be misprints in the manuals.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, Kirk Wood said:

I am not expert either but I did heat a house with propane for several years while living in WY. We saw temperatures down to -20°F or so more than once and never had problems with propane delivery to our house. It seems that appliances in a house use the same maximum pressure (14" water column) as do RV appliances, according to propane 101.

According to "propane 101" the set point should be 10.5"  of water not 14.  Hand slipped on the keyboard, I know you know better.  In the real world 10.5 to 14" of H2O.  but should be SET to 10.5 - 11.0 " and not drift higher than 14".

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

8 minutes ago, mscans said:

According to "propane 101" the set point should be 10.5"  of water not 14.  Hand slipped on the keyboard, I know you know better.

No typo at all. The 10.5" is the minimum and 14" is the maximum. In RVs, the regulator should be set to 11" of water column with the regulator lockup occurring at 12" which is 2" below the safe maximum.  See the article by the RV Doctor.....

Lock-up Pressure
In previous articles, I’ve stated that all propane appliances manufactured for RV use are set to operate at an operating line pressure between 10 and 14 inches of water column. All appliance makers and RV industry educators proclaim the propane system operating pressure should be adjusted annually to 11.0 inches of water column. Why 11.0 inches? It’s due to something called regulator lock-up pressure. That pressure contained in an RV gas system that has an open service valve on the propane container, and all the appliances turned off. In other words, there is pressure, but no flow of propane. In a properly adjusted system, the lock-up pressure, that pressure required in a gas system to close the seats inside a two-stage regulator and stop the flow of gas, is typically 1.0 water column inch above the set pressure.

Archived