East Coast Rally January Update

SuiteSuccess

Thanks to all the volunteers helping, the rally seminars and social events are almost complete.  Kim is back at Deer Run from her Florida trip and will begin making confirmation calls to those on a list for campsites.  So those placed on the wait list do not despair as it is always a dynamic process and she attempts to accomodate everyone.  As the campsite process unfolds I may be presenting some alternatives to those that may not get a site.  Should know more by the end of January so if you wish to attend please go ahead and sign up at the rally website and if unable to attend we can refund rally fee easily.  http://eastcoasthdtrally.com/2018-rally-info/

The seminar schedule will begin on Sunday morning and proceed through Thursday and will be structured so that information of importance to those new to the HDT experience will be presented mainly on Sunday, Monday, and maybe Tuesday and then more advanced or esoteric topics later in the week.  Information to be presented will include considerations and purchase of an HDT and outfitting with bed, lights, hitch, etc. from the very inexpensive to the moderately expensive up to a brand new truck.  These subjects will be discussed by those that have been there and done that.  We will also present bed building options using materials other than wood for an inexpensive bed if so desired.  Tools, gizmos, and gadgets for the part-timer or full-timer will be discussed in a fun interactive seminar while some of the more esoteric will discuss batteries, 48 volt conversions, etc.

We will be having a project presentation on repair of the "truck cancer" (rust and paint bubbling)  that occurs on the HDT doors as well as an innovative solution to a more efficient and lasting water pump for the trailer if time permits.

From a social standpoint there will be a pot luck dinner, happy hours, and several evenings of games and challenges.  As usual we will have our bingo on Weds night which will require each participating couple or family to bring a wrapped gift of ~$20 for prizes.  Friday night is usually a BBQ dinner provided by Deer Run followed by the Cumberland County Playhouse for those that wish to purchase tickets and attend a really good community theater.  Tickets for "The Mousetrap" can be pre-purchased here.  http://www.ccplayhouse.com/event/c774dee7292129086b536b6425c69af0

For the ladies there will be afternoon social/craft hours where you can get to know other ladies or just relax if you choose.  These times should not conflict with any seminar presentations if you wish to attend.  Crafts will include continuation of the scrapbooking begun last year,  possible braiding t-shirts, games, and a new one for this year--Sock Monkeys.  The sock monkey can be placed on the dash of your truck and your travels documented on social media without using your real names for security reasons.  Further information for this craft will be forthcoming via individual e-mail to the ladies in the near future.

More info to follow as April gets closer.  As always questions will be answered or I can be contacted at ecrcarl@gmail.com.  Hope to see you soon!

For transparency several of our seminar presenters are commercial sponsors of the rally so you will notice some signage and displays this year.  The rally organizers and volunteers in no way endorse one product over another and the seminars will be informational only and not geared as "sales pitches".  We leave it up to the individual to digest the information presented, do their own research and make their own informed decisions about any product.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

SBJbZ2Kl.jpg

Ladies Sock Monkey craft.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, thank you and Donna for all of your hard work. I know that planning and organizing a rally of this size is a monumental task. Sandra and I just want you to know that you are appreciated. We are looking forward to seeing old and new friends and having a great, informational and fun rally.  Thank you again.  CHARLIE AND SANDRA LORD

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

1 hour ago, sclord2002 said:

Carl, thank you and Donna for all of your hard work. I know that planning and organizing a rally of this size is a monumental task. Sandra and I just want you to know that you are appreciated. We are looking forward to seeing old and new friends and having a great, informational and fun rally.  Thank you again.  CHARLIE AND SANDRA LORD

Thanks Charlie and Sandra.  Yes it is a huge task but we’ve got some great people that are always volunteering to help and that makes things easier.  Couldn’t do it without David Dixon so always have to give him credit as well.  He does all the “techy” stuff as well as acts as a great sounding board for ideas.  Have to  say thanks to the “heavy lifters” Paul G., Dan R., Al F., and Dave S. who always pitch in setting up tables, stringing lights and sound, keeping the coffee flowing.  They’ve been there without complaint from the start for the grunt work.  There are many others that go unnamed but should know they are much appreciated.

Finally have to give thanks to Gail and Steve Dixon our good friends since we attended our first ECR in Myrtle Beach.  We share ideas, cry and complain on each other’s shoulders, and generally have a good time.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Bring a gallon, ShortyO.  I may need it if we keep growing. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Man Has this grown !! I can't wait. We have made a few changes over the winter and are anxious to see if everything works ok, We've checked in with Kim and Miss Judy will stay on top of it. 

Update 1-10-2018   Just got a call from Kim. She confirmed our dates and told us we are allllllll set. !!

See everyone there !!

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

9 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

You’re gonna like that site!  

For all others.  Spoke with Kim last evening and she has begun her confirmation calls.  She has added four new sites so at this time feels we are going to be able to accommodate everyone on the waiting list.  Should know more in the next two weeks as she finishes the calls.  Several sites in the “A” loop have been lengthened.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

10 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Kim just called me and I got my reservations all set.
Karen and I will be arriving on Tuesday the 10th, and we can't wait to see the new site were in, and all our friends again.

Roger

BTW will be several early arrivals so the “pre-Rally” should be fun.  Too bad we won’t have a gallon of ShortyO’s apple cordial then it would be a real party.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Talked to Kim and gave up my site. So someone will enjoy a LARGE pullthru.  Hope everyone has a great time.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Everyone,

I just finished talking to Kim and I am all set up for the rally. Right now I do not have a site number yet. Kim is still working her magic. Won't know my number till April.

See everyone in the spring,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

30 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

You might be moving up to the east side!!

Or maybe to the darkest side !

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I just finished talking to Kim and I am all set up for the rally. Right now I do not have a site number yet. Kim is still working her magic. Won't know my number till April.

See everyone in the spring,
Al

Sounds like the same thing is being told to everyone. I am registered as of today too, but no site number........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Tom,

Don't despair.  Kim has to shuffle a lot of dominoes between now and April and regulars will tell you, she’s very good at it.  People call, sites are reserved, then 30 days later cancelled as their plans change.

Al is a different story.  We like to move him all over cause he likes to practice his parking skills under different conditions. (Just kidding Al).😄

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Hi Carl, I am looking for the seminar day to day schedule.  They all sound interesting as always, but I'm might only have a few days to work with, not the whole week.

thanks,

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Just now, Sculptor said:

Hi Carl, I am looking for the seminar day to day schedule.  They all sound interesting as always, but I'm might only have a few days to work with, not the whole week.

thanks,

I’ve sent it over to David Dixon last week and he fits the puzzle together, hopefully will post a tentative schedule soon.  What subjects are you looking to attend and I will try to give you some tentative days of the week covering those?  We try to gear the first two days (Sunday and Monday) to those considering moving to an HDT for the first time.  As the days progress (Tuesday-Wednesday) more advanced topics like lithium batteries, tools, budgeting for RVing either full or part time.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

20 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Tom,

Don't despair.  Kim has to shuffle a lot of dominoes between now and April and regulars will tell you, she’s very good at it.  People call, sites are reserved, then 30 days later cancelled as their plans change.

Al is a different story.  We like to move him all over cause he likes to practice his parking skills under different conditions. (Just kidding Al).😄

Carl, I am not fretting over what she said. I know she will handle things. You are right about Al....... He is different!:P

VisitedStatesMap.gif

23 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I’ve sent it over to David Dixon last week and he fits the puzzle together, hopefully will post a tentative schedule soon.  What subjects are you looking to attend and I will try to give you some tentative days of the week covering those?  We try to gear the first two days (Sunday and Monday) to those considering moving to an HDT for the first time.  As the days progress (Tuesday-Wednesday) more advanced topics like lithium batteries, tools, budgeting for RVing either full or part time.

Thanks for the quick answer Carl.  

• RV Haulers on A Slim Budget (Randy Agee & Charlie Lord)
  • Building an RV Hauler (Gregg Shields)
  • An Update on Lithium House Batteries (David Dixon)
  • Budgeting for Full-Time RVers: Can I afford it? (Sondra

these are where my interests lie this year.  We bought a truck last summer so building a hauler is low on the list but tools and maintenance are always of interest to me.

BTW we took out the cab heater blower and fixed the leak that Volvos are known for.  We took lots of photos but I haven't compiled a how-to manual yet, if there is any interest in discussing it, anyone in this group feel free to contact me.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

1 minute ago, Sculptor said:

Thanks for the quick answer Carl.  

• RV Haulers on A Slim Budget (Randy Agee & Charlie Lord)
  • Building an RV Hauler (Gregg Shields)
  • An Update on Lithium House Batteries (David Dixon)
  • Budgeting for Full-Time RVers: Can I afford it? (Sondra

these are where my interests lie this year.  We bought a truck last summer so building a hauler is low on the list but tools and maintenance are always of interest to me.

BTW we took out the cab heater blower and fixed the leak that Volvos are known for.  We took lots of photos but I haven't compiled a how-to manual yet, if there is any interest in discussing it, anyone in this group feel free to contact me.

Kevin,

1&2 likely Sunday.  3&4 probably Monday or latest Tuesday.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived