Watching TV

GR "Scott" Cundiff

One advantage that I think 5th wheels have over MHs is the placement of the television.  It seems to me that having the TV up over the dash, where most MH TVs I've looked at are wouldn't be very user friendly.  I like my chair to face the TV and I want the height of the TV to be "normal" (in the mid-range of my progressive eye glasses).

However, I confess I've never watched television in a setting like that.  If you like watching TV and have the over-the-dash setup I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about it.  

Please note, I'm not looking for a solution that includes moving the TV and I'm not wanting to start a discussion about whether or not other people like watching TV.  I'm just wondering if my impression that having the TV over the dash is a real negative in the minds of those who have that setup.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

The location of the TV in our 2005 Winnebago Voyage 38-J was one of the major reasons we chose this model.  It is located behind the passenger seat, angled toward the seating area on the opposite side of the motorhome.  Since, both the TV and the seating area are on slideouts, watching the 40" TV is just the right distance.

38-J floorplan.jpg

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Sorry, my post was a little off topic.  I would also like to hear from people with the TV over the front windshield, and how that works for them.  A brother of mine has a Southwind with the TV over the front window, when he is parked, he just pulls his recliner out into the middle of the RV to watch TV.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

My first rig was a class A that had the TV overhead in the cab. It wasn't really a determining factor in the purchase as I'm not a big TV watcher, but I hated it. When I did try using it I could never get through a show without standing up every now and again and working the kinks out of my neck. I thought about installing one in the bedroom but eventually just cancelled my dish service and took to watching shows on the laptop.  

We had an "over the driver's seat" TV which was too high to watch comfortably and too far to the side for people sitting on the driver's side to see easily. We use this mount which permits the TV to "drop" 10" from its stowed position and allows it to swing out nearly to the mid-line of the MH as shown in the attached photos:

Ergotron sit/stand mount

The mount is spring-balanced and will hold the TV at any height.  It even extends far enough in the other direction that my wife and I can use our recliner and the passenger's captains chair if we both wish to have "lounge chairs" for TV viewing.  With a power footrest and lumbar support the Flexsteel chair is nearly as comfortable as our Ekornes Stressless.

For travel, a lightweight bungee cord holds the TV in place against the cabinet.

deployed compressed .jpg

stowed compressed.jpg

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I always hated the idea of a front mounted TV and that was the primary reason for fifth wheels (three of them).  However, our current MH had the dreaded front mount big box TV.  

It is gone!  Along with the sofa.  New are two recliners both facing forward and a 32" flat screen that you no longer bang your head on when entering the MH.  Only issue now in the bright sun through the windshield when your watching TV.  Simple to close the curtains though.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

4 hours ago, docj said:

We use this mount which permits the TV to "drop" 10" from its stowed position

We too had a high mount TV above the dash when we bought it but upgraded to a flat screen with a mount similar to this one. Had a larger TV and it then was significantly lower to watch. I'm not that into TV but Pam is. One significant factor in TV placement importance is also the distance you sit from it. I think if I were close up the high mount might be an issue. For me TV is mostly for when the weather is bad and I run out of things to do, or if I'm sick. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We enjoyed our 5ers, and I didn't like the overhead TV;'s in MH's. Before we bought a MH we surveyed the watching TV issue. Our MH has 2 couches that are just right for reclining and watching the overhead TV. If we have company the TV is off anyway.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

We replaced the original tube TV in our coach with a larger flat screen, but it's still mounted over the windshield. The way our floor plan is set up, the only seats that can't see the screen without turning or leaning forward are the very front most section of the sofa in the slide and the rear facing dinette seat in the slide. Both the driver and passenger seats can easily see it, although it's most comfortable with the backs reclined some. My wife normally sits in the rocker/recliner near our mid-ship door, and I normally sit in the front facing dinette seat, since the table is pretty much my "office". Both of us wear glasses with progressive lenses, and the upper portion is where TV viewing is the most comfortable for us, so the height of the TV works quite well for us. Enough so in fact, that we installed the wall mount TV in our vacation cottage a bit high as well. We would easily get used to a more straight ahead view, but it would not be a requirement if we were buying another coach. I like being able to work on my computer at the table and with just an eye movement glance at the TV screen without moving my entire head.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We aren't big TV watchers but we do stream a lot of movies and some TV series when they become available on Netflix for binge watching. When we were in the B's and C we used our laptops to watch since we didn't want the weight of a TV. When we were in the Class A we had a retractable TV right across from the sofa also viewable from the Euro chair. I would not buy an RV with a TV over the cab because I had heard tales of them falling. Yup, I'm a worrier.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

my class a had the TV above the windshield. sitting on couch watching it was a pain in butt, neck. But further away was ok.

Newer models with them at close to eye level is great idea.  Watching TV is usually considered relaxation time. So if your not relaxed then it's not enjoying. Any an all times we went camping i ended up watching TV much less than i normally do.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Our set up has one mounted overhead dash area and then one curb side on televator.  At first when we looked at our floor plan we thought it was "overkill" but now after living in the coach for over 2 months it really works well.  If you are sitting in one of the front captain's chairs (turned around of course) the televator TV is easily viewed, If you are on the long couch you can easily see either one.  If you get up to fix something in the galley area the overhead front TV is easily viewable.  When we sit down to watch TV both of them are on the same channel and it really works great!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived