PAylor

Fireplace mystery-

Hi all,

No one has been able to find the problem with our fireplace.  We have had it in the shop, taken it back to the manufacturer and contacted the fireplace company.

We have an Ambition fifth wheel made by Augusta and a Greystone fireplace.  It cuts out occasionally.  Right now it has been running fine for two day.  Then it cuts out-sometimes in an hour or two, sometimes in a day or two.  When you try to restart it cuts out within a minute. 

Obviously one of the problems is that it doesn't cut out consistently. Augusta sent us a new a new fireplace.  Greystone sent us a new motherboard thinking that the replacement might be from a bad lot Augusta might have had.  Augusta also reworked the wiring to the outlet.  We took the fireplace out and ran it in the house, it ran fine.  We plugged two space heaters in the outlet, they ran fine.  Nothing indicated that there is anything wrong.   

Any thoughts on this mystery?  Any more diagnostics we might try?  A real head scratcher!

Thanks in advance!

I'm certainly no expert, but when Augusta "reworked the wiring to the outlet" did they replace EVERYTHING on the circuit to include the breaker? After the entire fireplace has been replaced and the board on the replacement also replaced I would be highly suspect of the complete wiring install. I would do a COMPLETE rewire myself or by a third party I trusted 100% to do it right. 

plug a light in with your fireplace and see what that light does when the fireplace shuts off..then come back ;)

On second thought I have a portable heater does the same thing (time to toss it ) the thermostat overheats and shuts itself off, turn thermostat off and let cool down and will work again for awhile. The fan is good at sucking in lint so check the heating element to make sure its not plugged, blow out if it is ;)

Edited by Devilishjim

22 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

plug a light in with your fireplace and see what that light does when the fireplace shuts off..then come back ;)

On second thought I have a portable heater does the same thing (time to toss it ) the thermostat overheats and shuts itself off, turn thermostat off and let cool down and will work again for awhile. The fan is good at sucking in lint so check the heating element to make sure its not plugged, blow out if it is ;)

We also have a portable heater with the same symptoms . 

Solution for ours is to blow the dust out of the heating element and the thermostat . They both collect dust . Dust will definitely affect the thermostat .

40 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

We also have a portable heater with the same symptoms . 

Solution for ours is to blow the dust out of the heating element and the thermostat . They both collect dust . Dust will definitely affect the thermostat .

Been there done that plus have an oscillating fan that is going to the dumpster to hard to get to almost enclosed motor..cheaper to go buy new/ I cut the cord off so some fool doesnt think Christmas came again.

8 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

Been there done that plus have an oscillating fan that is going to the dumpster to hard to get to almost enclosed motor..cheaper to go buy new/ I cut the cord off so some fool doesnt think Christmas came again.

Cheaper ??? Not likely . 

I am retired and have so many things that require all my time . That's a joke . 

I have all the time in the world , so to speak , and have plenty of time to play around , making things right . ;)