Tow truck tire suggestions

curlydoc

I have been using my 2011 Ram 2500 diesel Laramie (6 foot bed, non dually) as my tow vehicle for 5th wheels for 7 years and have hadno problems with it. This year I had to get snow tires (Blizzaks) to get around without a 5er attached here in Minnesota. The Blizzaks cannot be used in warm weather and are really not appropriate for towing. My 5er is a Cedar Creek 41 feet with loaded weight of 15, 700 measured. The last set of all season tires were Yokohama 10 plies, and they only lasted two years of full timing (about 30,000 miles).   I am thinking I should buy a new set of wheels and a set of appropriate tires for warm weather and RVing. So, two questions. First, steel or aluminum wheels? Second, specific tire recommendations?

I would go with steel, as it would be cheaper.  Unless you can find a set of take off’s for sale.  There is a Bridgestone tire that has gotten a GREAT review by a Ram  owner that has over 300k On his 2014or 2015 Ram.  And he has gone through many sets of tires.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I always used B.F. Goodrich T/A commercial tires on my dually. I figured if the bean-counters at UPS found them good enough, so would I. I towed a 15,500# 5er about 80K miles and never had a single tire problem on the truck.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 weeks later...

Archived