What is the best brake controller for electric brakes when towing with HDT

mr. cob

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy All,

I just ordered a Hayes 100400C air activated brake controller and the tee fitting so I can tap into the air application gauge air line.  One less thing to be concerned about and one step closer to setting the Pete up as my new RV Hauler.  Thanks everyone for your help in this matter.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi all, I'm going to be buying a Hayes I think.  BUT, we plan to upgrade campers in the foreseeable future, maybe a year, maybe 2?  This means we have no idea what we will be pulling or what system of brakes it will have.  This question somewhat depends on what we own now.  Smallish lightweight Trail-Lite bumper pull with regular drum electric brakes.

Spend extra money now for a 'best' controller?  Or buy the 'good' controller now and spend more money later when I know what I need?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

35 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

Spend extra money now for a 'best' controller?  Or buy the 'good' controller now and spend more money later when I know what I need?

In my opinion, the question really is "What is the most effective controller - what will stop me the best and be the most reliable."  That is the one I would buy. Controllers are not the place to save money.....but as long as they function at the same level no sense wasting money either. If it will work in your truck the DL is probably my choice for an electric.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 1/2/2018 at 7:30 PM, GlennWest said:

In all fairness, the resource guide is not phone friendly. Leaves part of page off. 

Hi Glenn in the whatchamacallit bar at the top tap the horizontal lines on the left- this should switch your phone to reader view and the page should fit. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I have a Hayes on the project list to replace the T$&%$@#a ...

annyhoo I was planning to tee into my trailer service brake line so I can skid my trailer brakes with my trailer brake control aka Johnson bar aka trolley valve aka trailer spike  rather than reaching for the knob on the Hayes...

any issue with this?

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I have a Hayes on the project list to replace the T$&%$@#a ...

annyhoo I was planning to tee into my trailer service brake line so I can skid my trailer brakes with my trailer brake control aka Johnson bar aka trolley valve aka trailer spike  rather than reaching for the knob on the Hayes...

any issue with this?

If you have a brake application gauge, it will do the same thing and it's behind the dash already, this is what I have done, you can check it by airing up the truck and applying the johnson bar, you will see the gauge work.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

24 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

If you have a brake application gauge, it will do the same thing and it's behind the dash already, this is what I have done, you can check it by airing up the truck and applying the johnson bar, you will see the gauge work.

Roger

Howdy Roger,

Thanks for that bit of information, I have on the right side of the steering column on the Pete a small lever much like a turn signal lever that operates the trailer brakes, this would be much easier to use then moving the knob on the Hayes controller.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Roger

'deed it do have application pressure... 

I would like to place the T word control under a tire and run over it but I spose a guy should put it in the possibles box in case a emergency 

On 1/2/2018 at 9:19 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

There always is the Resource Guide: Electric Brake Controllers.

Or maybe it is time to retire the Resource Guide

No way!!!!!  Your work on the guide has resulted in a collection of valuable information.  It is one of the best things we have going.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

9 hours ago, RandyA said:

No way!!!!!  Your work on the guide has resulted in a collection of valuable information.  It is one of the best things we have going

Agreed.  I've used it a couple of times just this week.  Thank you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Agreed.  I've used it a couple of times just this week.  Thank you.

Couldn't live without it!!! We made our decision to purchase HDT and Built bed using all the resources and links.

Thank you

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

• 2 weeks later...

I think we as a group need to work on responding a little faster to posters questions.  
A poster asked a question and it took a whole 3 minutes for an answer.  Sheeeesh  :lol:

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

4 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

I think we as a group need to work on responding a little faster to posters questions.  
A poster asked a question and it took a whole 3 minutes for an answer.  Sheeeesh  :lol:

You get what you pay for.

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Archived