Runaway Truck

Flying Finn

We are currently in North Georgia getting ready to head toward Orlando/Tampa......or so I thought.  Warmed up the truck (2001 770 with an Eaton auto-shift) and put the truck in reverse, feathering the clutch to gently back toward the trailer.   All the sudden the truck fully engages in reverse (I barely released the clutch).  I mashed  clutch pedal to the floor....still going.....hit the brake still moving then finally had to turn off the engine to get it stopped.   After I collected myself pulled well ahead thinking  maybe my foot wasn't on the clutch correctly.  Same thing happened.  Clutch went to the floor, truck still going in reverse had to  shut off the engine to get stopped.

No error codes or service lights went off.  Any ideas on what the heck may have happened???

I had the clutch hydraulics go out. Scary. Pump like crazy to get the clutch to release. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Since you have a 2001, I'm gonna say it's likely you have the same three pedal system as we.  In that case, you have a clutch issue, not a tranny problem.  As Darryl said, check the fluid level in your clutch reservoir.  It's on the engine side of the firewall, outside the steering column.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

What Mark and Rickeieio said - We have the same truck w/ 3 pedal & autoshift ....Installing a new (different) reservoir & slave is pretty easy, Bleeding it is a pain is the A$$. And despite what it looks like, don't try to adjust the linkage, per the manufacturer.

PM me if you need more info.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

What Porky69 said is true. After giving it some thought, if it were a simple matter of low fluid, your clutch brake wouldn't have worked, and the auto shift would not have gone into gear at all.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I once had an 18speed manual do pretty much the same thing, stepped on the clutch, put into gear like normal and took off. Next time I stepped on the clutch it worked normally as I stepped on it but as I was letting it up all of the sudden the pedal dropped to the floor and the truck stalled from rapid clutch engagement in a high starting gear. Upon disassembly/diagnosis they found that the clutch was pretty much worn out but the main cause was the throwout bearing had come apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to follow up and let you guys know what was wrong.  The clutch master cylinder failed and the clutch slave cylinder was close behind.  Also had a hydraulic line that was cracked but not yet leaking.  Took the tuck to Vanguard in Adairsville, GA for the repair.  Cost for the repair was $1,300.00. They replaced both cylinders, hydraulic line, refreshed the hydraulic fluid, test drove.

So far so good.  Never saw that one coming.  If you have a Gen 2 auto-shift may want to have the clutch hydraulics looked at.

Could save you a catastrophic failure like I had.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 2:46 PM, noteven said:

I slid underneath ...

my KW doesn't have a clutch master cylinder...:(.

Do all Volvo truck has a clutch master cylinder?  My truck is a 98 Volvo 610, does it have a clutch master cylinder and hydraulic lines?

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

48 minutes ago, Padraic said:

Do all Volvo truck has a clutch master cylinder?  My truck is a 98 Volvo 610, does it have a clutch master cylinder and hydraulic lines?

Yes, if you have a 10 speed you have a master cylinder.  Open the hood, and look next to the windshield washer reservoir.  There should be a reservoir there that has fluid in it. That's the master,  Follow the tube out of the bottom down to the next object attached to the line, that's the slave is located down on the transmission housing.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 2/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Yes, if you have a 10 speed you have a master cylinder.  Open the hood, and look next to the windshield washer reservoir.  There should be a reservoir there that has fluid in it. That's the master,  Follow the tube out of the bottom down to the next object attached to the line, that's the slave is located down on the transmission housing.

Thanks, Alie & Jim. Nice to know, I have a ten speed 1 to 5 and flip the switch for 6 to 10. that is something I don't know what I don't know. Time to dig into the detail. 

Below is a picture, is that it? It said on the cap, use brake fluid only.

Clutch hydraulic-1.jpg

on a old school commercial rig fully loaded.

throttle return spring broke. truck sped up to 80mph right now.

that is fun. 

turn off motor at that speed. sure pre computers. but every thing still went dead. but at lest got it stopped before something else took place. not on a lonely streach of rd.  but in a majer city aera during the day.

Yesterday, I too had a run away truck.  Cruising up TX 118 south of Alpine, touch the brakes going into a curve and the cruise control doesn't shut off.  Play with the stalk and finally get it to relinquish control of the ship.

I grew up around some pretty good mechanics, and one lesson that was beat into my noggin was, whenever you have a sudden problem, look where you last worked on a related system.  Well, during our stay in Terlingua, I removed all traces of two brake controllers. Dug around behind the instruments and sure enough, the plug was out of the brake light switch.  I hadn't removed it, but it must not have been securely snapped in place by the last person who had it out.

There's no end to the things that can go wrong at inconvenient times.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Not a truck, but while dating my wife, the screws for the butterfly in the carb came out. Full throttle through a gas station and over a 4 ft drop off. No damage to the wife or the Chevy II. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 6:18 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

That's it.  I flushed mine and refilled with fresh fluid.  Made a huge difference in how hard the clutch was to push.  You do have to do this from the bottom though, otherwise you'll trap air in it.

That is good to know, I get tired on my left leg often.

Archived