Chevy volt battery questions

GlennWest

Got lots of time on my hands this time of year. Been researching these batteries. Seems most believe not having a battery management system is dangerous to battery life. Finding on eBay 2k battery packs 48v for $275. Would buy 8. That what he has left. Quite an investment and would hate to ruin them. What are people using. Or is there a 48v 220v inverter/charger that can be set up to bulk charge only within guidelines for volt battery? Hoping someone here knows this without me calling vendors. Not finding this info on line. Researching mostly now. Plans are for this spring. Also for your info on the 220/240v is upgrading mini split to 3 ton with 2 heads. May put my 1 ton unit on truck.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using a Chevy Volt battery. I am using the whole pack rewired into 8 48 volt parallel batteries. That powers 3 parallel Magnum MS4448PAE inverters. Those are 120/240 volt dual phase inverters. The charge profile is set to CC/CV 30 amp/50 volt. I am not using a BMS or cell balancer and so far, no problems.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

I was hoping you saw this. Thank you. Didn't know the Magnum was that programmable. As long as batteries aren't subject to freezing or extreme heat so no need for a management system for proper charging parameters set correctly. Right? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have two 48 volt packs in my golf cart wired in parallel.  I charge with the OEM 48 volt Club Car charger without the "computer"  Club Cars have.  I use a Variac (autotransformer) to adjust the AC voltage to the charger.  I charge at 45 volts and stop charging at 50 volts.  I keep current to 15 amps for the two batteries in parallel.  Occasionally I measure each cell but do nothing to them individually.  No issues and batteries are holding up fine.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

6 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I was hoping you saw this. Thank you. Didn't know the Magnum was that programmable. As long as batteries aren't subject to freezing or extreme heat so no need for a management system for proper charging parameters set correctly. Right? 

As long as you use the Magnum ME-RTR Router Control you have significant control over charging. There are several preset charge profiles for wet cell, AGM, etc. But all you need is a simple CC/CV profile. Fully (and easily) programmable

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

was using search on forum and finding nothing. Just not my day. Thinking my jacks are my largest DC user. Wondering how much of a stepdown dc to dc unit I will need.

You can use a separate 12-volt battery like Steve does for large house loads. The start on his diesel genset is likely the biggest demand...could be over 250 amps...I'm not sure on that without looking/measuring. I'm planning on three DC/DC  48/12 converters in parallel that will handle 180 amps at 12 volts. That will power my bigfoot levelers. But I may have to add a 12 volt battery for the genset....I have not worked that out just yet.

The Victron stuff will handle the charging profiles required. As will the Magnum. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have an unused converter mounted in my Teton. I could use it to charge a single battery to supply my 12V items. Had not thought of that. I was going to replace my faulty MSW inverter/charger anyway. 

Like Jack said, for my high load, short run, 12 volt loads like Gen Start, Big Foot, and Slides are all wired to the Gen Start battery. All other 12 volt loads I have 2 parallel 48/12 volt 25 amp Buck Converters. 

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

16 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Thanks again. How are you charging the 12v battery? 

Standard RV converter.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

1 hour ago, sdixon747 said:

Like Jack said, for my high load, short run, 12 volt loads like Gen Start, Big Foot, and Slides are all wired to the Gen Start battery. All other 12 volt loads I have 2 parallel 48/12 volt 25 amp Buck Converters. 

Steve, do you know what your slide motors are pulling??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

16 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Steve, do you know what your slide motors are pulling??

The slide motors don’t pull a lot of power. Maybe 2 amps. The issue is, when they first start, I was told that the buck converters will see them as a dead short and shut down. Just trying to keep it simple, that is why all the high load short run items ore n the gen start battery.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Interesting. I have the DeWalt hydraulic slide. Wonder if same happen with it

My guess is that it would be the same. I’m guessing your hydrolic system hah a fairly large motor to run the hydraulic pump. Buck converters are great fot lights and electronics, but not so much for big motors.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Archived