RV converter problem

Kirk W

1 minute ago, Yarome said:

What would be funny is if he comes back and says, "never mind! Lug mount was loose. Touch of solder. I'm good!". :lol:

I'm sure HE hopes it'll be that simple... :P:D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

20 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Maybe a 9245 model may suit your needs better Kirk.

5 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Progressive Dynamics 9245.  Smaller and less expensive than the higher current models.

OK.   I just spend some time poking around several converter sites and in particular that of Progressive Dynamics and I do believe that I found exactly what I am looking for. It has been too cold to work on the RV here the past few days, even inside when I don't have heat out there so have mostly poked around the computer between social contacts with folks here for the New Year. It seems that my WFCO-8735 is so great that they now sell the PD-4135 as a direct replacement for the WFCO. I still have a few more things to check, but I'm not going to put much work into salvaging the 8735. Looks like under $150 to get one and a far better converter and better on the battery. If I repair what I have now, it will still be a WFCO!

It isn't quite a done deal, but it is getting really close. Thanks to all of the suggestions thus far. If you haven't looked at this model, look it over and see what you think as all of your comments would be of interest. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

...look it over and see what you think as all of your comments would be of interest. 

For a direct circuit to circuit wire to wire replacement at the lowest cost, the PD4100 is the best bet. However, I still prefer the PD4000.

This is what I see when I look at the two:

PD4045 - 45amp charger - $175 ($161.85+$13.15 shipping)
120V- 30amp w/7 circuits
12v- 12 circuits. 2-30amp/10-20amp

PD4135 - 35amp charger - $150 ($144+$6 shipping) *seller is unknown to me
120v- 30amp w/5 circuits
12v- 6 circuits 5-30amp/1-40amp

PD4045- Amazon's no hassle 30-day return/refund policy. With an Amazon prime store or visa card -5%. Adjusted total = $167 ($153.85+$13.15 shipping)

Direct replacement (WFCO): $100

Direct replacement upgrade (PD4135): + $50

Full upgrade (PD4045): + $75 (for me: + $67)

My bottom line: $25 difference (for me: $17) from what I would actually be considering to go up from a 35 to a 45amp charger, more circuits (the DC is most important to me) and an improved layout.

Cons (PD4045 vs. PD4135): Existing opening would need to be shimmed.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:23 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

There's not much to pick from at 25 amps. If it physically fits in your available space, Boondocker has a 4-stage 35-amp converter that should work well for you. I installed a Boondocker to replace the failed converter in our coach a couple of years ago, and have been well pleased with the performance.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-BD-1235C-35-Amp-4-Stage-ConverterCharger_p_411.html

Kirk,

The link posted above is where I would start - Randy at Best Converter is an exceptional guy and an authority on converters. He will FREELY share his extensive knowledge.

On his website in the left sidebar are several conversion projects WFCO to PD upgrades.

I am a long time satisfied Best Converter customer and will tell you right now his customer service is unsurpassed.  I would not hesitate to relate your situation to Randy were I you and ask his advice. I know you will appreciate his attention.

15 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Amazon also has the PD4135 at $153.53 and free shipping with Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4135KV-Inteli-Power-Converter/dp/B01EXKUA3E

Be advised the products on Amazon could be knockoffs and Amazon does not pursue these frauds.

From the PD  website: " Note: Progressive Dynamics Inc. converter chargers are being advertised on Amazon, Yahoo and Face Book under the name of Progressive International. This name is to imply that Progressive Dynamics is somehow involved with Progressive International and we are not. The real Progressive International sells RV kitchen products and not converter chargers. Progressive Dynamics and the real Progressive International only sell through authorized RV distribution companies and RV dealers. "

and this thread  Progressive Dynamics knockoffs

" Just bought a new converter off of Amazon and after I get it home I find out that it doesn't have a serial number on it. According to Progressive Dynamics it's some sort of a knockoff product and they won't warranty it. They tell me it's illegal for Amazon and this third party vendor to be selling these.
So back it goes tomorrow.....already had it installed "

PD has a direct retrofit for your unit https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-centers/inteli-power-pd4135-acdc-distribution-panel-power-converter-with-built-in-charge-wizard/ that comes with the charge wizard and is a 40A unit, similar to your existing pos... uh unit.

I had a PD with an add-on (I installed) wizard and thought it was great.  the batteries on my class A (used) were bad and had to be replaced soon after I installed the wizard but it was a short in one of the batteries that was the culprit, not the charge wizard.  Once the batteries were replaced, the PD and wizard had them fully charged in a couple of days.  Boondock usage showed very good performance after that point.  Unlike other converters the wizard will not dry out the battery as it will drop to 13.2 V or so when the battery is fully chsrged.

let us know if or how it works out.

Florida Mike

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

2 hours ago, AndyJ said:

Be advised the products on Amazon could be knockoffs and Amazon does not pursue these frauds.

From the PD  website: " Note: Progressive Dynamics Inc. converter chargers are being advertised on Amazon, Yahoo and Face Book under the name of Progressive International. This name is to imply that Progressive Dynamics is somehow involved with Progressive International and we are not. The real Progressive International sells RV kitchen products and not converter chargers. Progressive Dynamics and the real Progressive International only sell through authorized RV distribution companies and RV dealers. "

Ahh! Thanks for the heads up, Andy!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Amazon also has the PD4135 at $153.53 and free shipping with Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4135KV-Inteli-Power-Converter/dp/B01EXKUA3E

Good find, Dutch. Amazon's return policy is a big selling point for me, and if you do have their prime store card it'll knock the price down to $145.85. 

$144 + Shipping. $150 for ground. Unknown company, pay for return shipping, refund time frame?

$153.53 ($145.85 w/prime store or visa card). Amazon backed. free return shipping, immediate refund.

I don't buy in to extended warranties, but I DO like the peace of mind of returning an item with no out-of-pocket... and immediate refunds. Worst case, $3.53 would be worth it to me. Saving $4.15 is even better. ;)

Archived