Battery monitoring system

Jim Corey

I want to add a battery monitoring system to my coach. I have four 6 V batteries charged with a progressive dynamics smart charger. Looking for suggestions on a brand of monitor preferably one that is easy to install. I do not have nor do I anticipate having any solar. I just want to be able to tell how much Battery I’m using and the remaining capacity in the batteries, as well as how the charging is going.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

There are several good battery monitoring systems on the market, but if you are looking for a standalone, quality monitor that is easy to install the most commonly recommended unit is the trimetric by bogart engineering.  It comes in either a wall mount version or a flush mount version.  I have installed several of them and they work well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Trimetric as well. But I've pretty much switched to the Victronic at this point for standalone battery monitoring. Just an alternative.... However, if/when you have questions there are more people around that can answer on the trimetric.

One benefit - if you like it - to the Victron 712 Smart is that you can display it on your phone or computer via inbuilt bluetooth. It costs a little more, but does more.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Have had the Trimetric and the Victron and agree Victron has better features. But on my present coach, I cannot get a shunt on the batteries, so tried the Smartgauge  .http://www.balmar.net/products/smartgauge-battery-monitor/     Can't really compare to shunt type, but after using for a couple of months appears fairly accurate.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I’ve also switched to Victron, after installing and using 4 Trimetric, & 1 Xantrex. One thing about the Victron, as Kirk mentioned, you can monitor via Bluetooth on your phone. To add to Kirks though, you can use blue tooth on all of the Victron monitors, not only the 712. The REAL selling point for me was not having to pull any wires, just leave the gage by the shunt & use BT. I’d bet that they do away with the gage eventually.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

1 hour ago, dewilso said:

I’ve also switched to Victron, after installing and using 4 Trimetric, & 1 Xantrex. One thing about the Victron, as Kirk mentioned, you can monitor via Bluetooth on your phone. To add to Kirks though, you can use blue tooth on all of the Victron monitors, not only the 712. The REAL selling point for me was not having to pull any wires, just leave the gage by the shunt & use BT. I’d bet that they do away with the gage eventually.

It was me, not Kirk. To add to what you said, yes, you can add the BT module to the older Victron battery monitors. But the Smart series has them built in...no add on necessary.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived