Bestoma

Hello again!  I have been working diligently on all the suggestions you each gave me back in March.  Currently trying to offload home (on the market in March), all possessions, cars, and retire.  Once July hits, we are good to go.  Some things I am trying to get answers to:  how do you get dental care while living nowhere, or everywhere?  We are both 64 and stuff happens!  Chipped fillings, chipped teeth, root canals, etc.  This one is important to me as I seem to be the one who frequently needs this stuff.  I get the part about getting all your dental records, but how do you get into random dentists' offices?   Also, Allstays app is mentioned a lot, but it doesn't seem to be available for my Samsung (Android).  Is that correct?  I see from some of the blogs that reserving far in advance is necessary.  Does anyone use the military campgrounds available?  I have seen the one on Dam Neck in Oceana, VA and was quite impressed.  We are retired military and have access to all of them.   I have more questions but this much will do for now.  Thanks so much for any help!  

Bestoma

In case you don't know about the mil cg site;  http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

As for dental, some people get their dental done in Mexico.  You can search the forum for lots of stories about that.  If I needed dental services on the road, I would simply call 3 or 4 dentists in the nearest big city I was in, tell them I had no insurance but needed dental care, and see what the prices were.  Many times you can get x-rays, and exam and cleaning for well under $100.  After that, it is up to you how to proceed.  I found the cost of an insurance policy and co-pays were more than just paying cash for the basic services I needed.  Now if you need dentures or something more involved, IDK.

4 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

In case you don't know about the mil cg site;  http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

As for dental, some people get their dental done in Mexico.  You can search the forum for lots of stories about that.  If I needed dental services on the road, I would simply call 3 or 4 dentists in the nearest big city I was in, tell them I had no insurance but needed dental care, and see what the prices were.  Many times you can get x-rays, and exam and cleaning for well under $100.  After that, it is up to you how to proceed.  I found the cost of an insurance policy and co-pays were more than just paying cash for the basic services I needed.  Now if you need dentures or something more involved, IDK.

I should have noted that we will have dental insurance.  I 

Just now, Bestoma said:

I also have the military campground info, just wondered what anyone's experience had been trying to get into one, especially in Florida in the winter months!   

Good luck with that.  

You're probably better off joining Passport America and staying at a commercial park if you have to be in Fla in the winter.  While you're still in your S&B house, you should call the milparks in Fla and ask about availability.  That will give you a good idea of what it is like.  Many parks do not take reservations, so it is hit and miss.

Los Algodones is a small border town immediately west of Yuma, AZ. (look at a map).  You can park your car in a huge lot on the American side  and simply walk across the border.  Mexico has a "real" checkpoint further south of town.  All of the pharmacy, medical, dental and optometrist offices are within a couple of blocks of the border crossing.  You will need a passport or passport card to re-enter the US.

I've been spending winters in the Southwest deserts for some time and make it a point to get a dental checkup there every year.  It's also a good place to stock up on non-narcotic prescription drugs.  Prices are very reasonable, often not even approaching the deductable or co-pay of an American insurance plan.  Mexican dentists offer the same level of care as you'll get in the US, the main difference is they don't keep track of a patient's dental records, that's your responsibility.  They'll take x-rays, etc. as needed but they're not kept after the treatment is completed..

The currency used in Los Algodones is the US dollar and many places accept credit cards.

3 hours ago, Bestoma said:

Some things I am trying to get answers to:  how do you get dental care while living nowhere, or everywhere?

We have kept up with that just with annual checkups with our home dentist on an annual basis and have been fortunate enough to not have needed any care while traveling, but it sure could happen. If you are near the Mexican border that is a good option in most areas, but I think that if you were to contact most dental offices to explain that you are traveling but need emergency care, I suspect that they would take you and probably quite happily accept your dental insurance. You might have to pay for the service and then recover from your insurance if the chosen dentist doesn't accept what you have. I just called our dentist's office and asked and was told that they do accept emergency care patients who are not regulars there and they also accept the dental insurance if they can speak to someone to confirm what will be paid before you leave. If not you would need to pay at the time and then get reimbursed later. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you!  We don't plan to return here so my long time dentist is out.  We plan to just travel till we don't want to anymore, but will prob domicile in FL.  I'm trying to get ahead of stuff that could be an emergency out there on the road.  Anyone know about Allstays app not being available for Galaxy Note 8??

I do not know about Galaxy Note 8 but I did have All Stays on my S4 and no problem transferring it to my Moto G5.

Now, searching the Play Store, I see it is no longer there. I don't know what this means for the future of the app, but their website is still live. On the web site, the only option is to download from the Apple AppStore. That's going to be a disappointment for a lot of folks if Android support completely disappears.

We were staying in Arizona last spring and I had a tooth giving me a problem.  I called our "regular" dentist and explained my situation....she prescribed some antibiotics that we picked up at Walmart RX and then said she had 3 dentists in the area that she knew professionally and would be happy to refer if needed. 

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

22 minutes ago, Bestoma said:

I've had 2 root canals so far and emergency antibiotics and pain meds are a must have! 

You must be your dentist's best customer! I sure hope that he treats you well.   :rolleyes: In what sort of time frame was this? 

9 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Good luck with that.  

You're probably better off joining Passport America and staying at a commercial park if you have to be in Fla in the winter.  While you're still in your S&B house, you should call the milparks in Fla and ask about availability.  That will give you a good idea of what it is like.  Many parks do not take reservations, so it is hit and miss.

Virtually all PPA member RV parks/CG's in Florida exclude winter-peak season months.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I once had an eye emergency while on the road and had that met by a doctor listed as one who takes my insurance at that time. I've also been to Urgent Care centers in various locations. It's all available when and where you really need it. So take a deep breath and relax, OK? Medical care of whatever type is available to you as you travel.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

I've also been to Urgent Care centers in various locations. It's all available when and where you really need it.

I agree with this, so long as you have the right insurance. It needs to be of the PPO or similar type but most HMO plans do not have good coverage for traveling people as they usually tie to a particular location, so be very careful of that. What he is most concerned about is dental issues and I do not know how well received such insurance is as you move about the country. The insurance agent who sold the coverage may be able to help to answer those questions. 

I visited the Delta Dental website and found the following information. It might be worth the time to contact them.

Descriptions of Dental Plan Types

The following four types of dental quotes are available from DentalInsurance.com. Click the links after the descriptions to view more detailed information.

DHMO Dental Plans: A dental health maintenance organization or DHMO is a type of “managed care.” With this type of coverage, a network of highly qualified dentists provides comprehensive and affordable care for individuals or families. Consumers choose a dentist from the network, and they pay a low monthly premium to receive services at either no cost or a reduced price (some services may require a copayment). The participating dentists receive fixed monthly fees. Learn more about DHMOs

PPO Dental Insurance Plans: Another type of managed care plan is called a preferred provider organization (PPO). Consumers with PPOs select a dentist from a network of preferred dental providers who have agreed to provide dental care to members at reduced rates. PPO dental plan participants are made aware of their annual maximums.. Learn more about PPOs

Indemnity Dental Insurance Plans: A dental indemnity plan, also known as “traditional” insurance, allows consumers to choose from the largest pool of dentists. Individuals with this type of dental insurance are free to visit any dentist, unlike those with managed care plans. Subscribers pay their dentist’s bill in full and then submit a claim for reimbursement to the carrier. Learn more about indemnity plans

Discount Dental Plans: Discount dental plans (DDPs) or “discount dental cards” are not insurance. However, they help consumers save on dental care costs. Members make monthly or annual payments and may receive unlimited dental care services at discount prices based on a fee schedule. Services are provided by dentists who participate in the plan’s dental network. Learn more about discount dental plans

(*Discount plans are not insurance and are not intended to replace health insurance.)

Bestoma,

We are retired military too and while full-timing used military bases,  their medical facilities and pharmacies. I used the VA in Medford Oregon once. I would second the advice to stop by Algodones for dental and pharmacy. I have not been in a long time as we stopped RVing to care for our remaining parents but it appears to be the same. We got some Medrol for our dog there as they outlawed it in the US for pets, then had to claim it as our med. The Pharmacies will write a prescription on the spot as they have a doctor who runs each. The one we went through had signed scripts on the counter for the staff to fill out.

We loved the FamCamps and facilities in  San Diego out on  the strand, All of them in Alaska (Eilson AFB, Elmendorf AFB, Fort Richardson next to Elmendorf in Anchorage. Seward AK has a military resort with boats and and full hookups. They took reservations and told us we would not get one spot, let alone two, as we were traveling in two fifth wheels and the other couple were not military, and were my guests. We pulled up and got two spots and stayed the week we planned.    

I had issues with crowns and root canals my whole life and left the military with a filling in every tooth. I ended up just having them all pulled and dentures made. I recommend keeping yours but mine cost too much to maintain, more than $10k the last year I had them.  You can use the SKP coop park in Yuma if you are also a dues paying member of Escapees. I found their parks filled in nicely when there were no other military bases around, or were full.

The only FamCamp we were disappointed with was Nellis AFB Las Vegas Nevada. All the rest were great as were the Escapee parks and Coops.

If you have any questions about specific military FamCamps email me and I'll let you know what I know. I only know campgrounds civilian or military West of the Mississippi. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'm about the same as you, retired Army, with Medicare and TFL. Delta Dental for retired military is different than Delta Dental commercial plans. It's really easy to locate a private dentist in the military plan: https://www.ddfgptoolkits.com/ipWeb/appmanager/ct/desktop#__lastpassid__=5077042722

Coverage is not the best, usually about 50% for anything above preventive care, which is usually fully covered. This coming year monthly allotment is $57.88.

Medical care and scripts from MTF's are the least expensive way to go, but can be inconvenient in some areas. In these cases I've never had a problem with TFL paying any urgent care facility or retail pharmacy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived