Howdy folks

Quest4Adv

Hi there, 

Just wanted to say hi after joining several years ago. Seems like a great group.  I've been browsing topics for a few days now.

The wife and I are looking at Full-timing as soon as my last kid is out of the house. I work from home so as long as I have internet I'm good.

We have a 2015 Ram Promaster van that I have been slowly(the operative word being "slowly") for a couple of years now. We like to camp and take trips in it. Right now I'm leaning toward a 5th wheel, but a Class A is still an option.  We've rented RV's in Alaska and drove/delivered a 30' Class A from San Francisco to AK a few years ago. Loved every minute of it.

I'm posting this today because I think my wife is finally on board.  This was my xmas present from her today. It's a Birdhouse, but I doubt it will ever see the outside. I love it!

Thanks for letting me ramble!

Jeff

2017-12-25 08.51.32 (Medium).jpg

Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much, but you can't help smiling when they tumble down the stairs...

Love your gift!  That's definitely a commitment from her. :)  It sounds like you are both prime candidates for full-timing.  Have fun planning and return often to ask questions.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome, Jeff. Unless your youngest is a senior you should have at least a year or two to do your research and figure out what's best for you. It took us three years of research, but we probably could have moved sooner if finances had permitted it.

We were very fortunate in being able to bring our Foretravel home and park it right outside the front door of our house. We started moving things into the coach while living in the house, then got to where we were (mostly) living in the coach. When we realized that we needed something that was in the house we brought it out to the coach. (Ever go camping and find out that you forgot the can opener?) We used the house only for bathroom, kitchen and laundry. Some of our stuff we put in storage with our kids, some we gave them outright, quite a bit went on the burn pile out back, and then we had an auction.

Start talking about how you want to live when you are full-timing. Are you going to be moving every few days or every few months? Where do you want to go, and what do you want to do? Since you are going to be working, will you need an office space? Will your wife need a sewing room? Those can affect your choice of floor plans.

Do either of you have any mobility issues? A 5'er has more steps than a MH, which may not seem like much at first, but can really get old in a hurry. Any pets? If so, will steps be an issue for them? Maybe not right now, but what about 2-3 years down the road?

Both of you should be going to RV shows and dealers, looking at every coach you can. Don't look at condition or price, just look at floor plan. If you don't want to talk in front of the sales person, talk about what you saw after you get back in your car. Be honest about what you liked and didn't like about the floor plan. There are only so many ways to arrange the interior of a box to make it livable, so it won't take too long for you to know what will and won't work for you.

Remember that size and weight go together. A 43' 5'er will weigh more than a 23' one, but will have a LOT more space inside. There WILL be days when you can't go out because of the weather. Make sure that you have enough room inside to each have your own space.

Ask lots of questions. When we were researching I kept saying that I'd rather ask 1000 questions before writing a large check than asking the same question 1000 times afterward. Enjoy the research.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Thanks everyone.

We're several years out at this point, still researching.  We'll probably do another RV delivery trip to Alaska again soon. That was a blast!

We're going to the RV show in Denver next weekend.  Taking pictures and notes along the way!

Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much, but you can't help smiling when they tumble down the stairs...

18 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We were very fortunate in being able to bring our Foretravel home and park it right outside the front door of our house. We started moving things into the coach while living in the house, then got to where we were (mostly) living in the coach. When we realized that we needed something that was in the house we brought it out to the coach. (Ever go camping and find out that you forgot the can opener?) We used the house only for bathroom, kitchen and laundry.

There WILL be days when you can't go out because of the weather. Make sure that you have enough room inside to each have your own space.

We also moved into our first RV while parked in our driveway. It was an excellent way of learning what else to bring plus what to take back into the house.

For us, our space was head space. We can each disappear into our computers when we need to do so.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, Quest4Adv said:

We're going to the RV show in Denver next weekend.  Taking pictures and notes along the way!

I recommend you make the first picture of each RV one of its name so you can identify which feature belongs to which rig. They all start to jumble together in your head. And someday you'll probably want to review those pictures to see if one particular brand seems to have the most features you liked.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome back to the forums! It is good to have you back.

8 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I recommend you make the first picture of each RV one of its name so you can identify which feature belongs to which rig.

One of the best things about digital cameras is the fact that it costs nothing to waste a shot or two. I strongly agree with this suggestion and I'd do that same thing with each RV that you deliver to keep good track of what you like or don't like in each case. 

The Denver RV show is a good place to do research, as is any big show. Try to keep an open mind about things and to consider every RV type and floorplan. While you are spending time in those that appeal to you, go through the motions of doing the same things you do each day just to see how space works out. And both of you need to do the things done at the same time. Once in the RV you will find some adjustments easy to make while others will just not work out happily. If you do this enough in many different RVs of each type, eventually one of them will just seem to fit. I am sure that you will hear long lists of why each different type of RV is best from those who prefer them but each type has owners who believe their choice to be best. Each one has it's good features and some not so good. The choice is mostly one of personal priorities and preferences. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

I recommend you make the first picture of each RV one of its name so you can identify which feature belongs to which rig. They all start to jumble together in your head. And someday you'll probably want to review those pictures to see if one particular brand seems to have the most features you liked.

Linda Sand

Sounds like a great idea!!!   

Thanks

Archived