Can I really full time on $2,000 a month

Larry

Everybody's idea of a good standard of living on the road is different. There are dozens of videos on YouTube of people doing this for far less than $2000 a month. Granted some of them are not living the way you might like to, but you just skip those videos and find the ones that are.  For the most part, people accomplish this lifestyle by not paying fees at campgrounds very often, choosing to stay at dispersed campsites on BLM land where you are able to camp for up to 14 days in one location. Most people can stay in these places because they're equipped for dry camping, that is, they have solar power and travel with water so they don't need hookups. Get a vehicle with a sizable water tank and a couple of solar panels, and plan on spending most of your time on the west coast because there's not as many free camping options on the east coast. You'll do just fine. 

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/25/2017 at 1:41 PM, Coleen said:

Oh, one more thing to keep in mind, the RV you start with won't necessarily be the one you want to keep forever. (I'd spend much less than $40,000 on my first RV.)

If you look around you can find some exceptional deals, I now have a 1994 Challenger 30' with less than 30,000 miles in excellent shape. I only paid $4000 and the only thing I have really had to have done is replace the cooling fan. Look around for a period of time and you can find deals like this too.

On 12/24/2017 at 10:41 AM, Carolaow said:

Another solo traveler here.  In my opinion, $2K is easy to meet with some left over if you camp host or workamp at least part of the year.  The biggest line item in my budget is nightly camping fees, but they fall to a big fat zero when working at the campground.  This also works well for someone who likes to stay a couple of months at a spot then move along.  Another benefit is you get to really know the campground and the area where you are working and you will have time and opportunities to forge new friendships.  Right now I am averaging 7 months workamping and the rest traveling between jobs or just traveling for the heck of it.  It's a great life--have fun with your plans!

We started full timing in 1999 with a few thousand in the bank and NO INCOME! Between Workamping and me doing 95% of mechanical repairs, our road reign lasted 12 years until we settled and purchased a home.  Fast forward 8 years.  Just sold our home and awaiting delivery of our new to us 39' Motor-home.  We're back on the road full-time with our combined SS just over $2,200. a month. Between boondocking in Quartzsite and picking up an occasional Workamping gig, all will be fine.  Do it while you can.

• 1 year later...

Yes, just remember that it's full time travel not full time vacation. Prepare your food instead of eat out. Keep a budget template. We did this with a similar budget with 2 kids. I second passport America. Also, staying places longer saves on gas. Gas was our biggest expense because we travelled so far and fast. Slow down and it's cheeper and more enjoyable.

Edited by cowolter

Beware.  The Reno BLM office just closed down nearby BLM land for any overnight camping because of gross abuse of the land by camper and trailer trash leaving abandoned RVs, cars and trash scattered everywhere.

It is this type of trash that ruins it for the other frugal and recreational campers on public lands.  I for one often camp for recreation on far away BLM land that is not considered scenic by others and therefore no neighbors and leave my site clean of any trash or debris. Happy camper & former Acct, SEC CFP

https://www.facebook.com/Pilot-Bill-Perkins-Exotic-Living-And-Travels-in-Far-East-and-SE-Asia-1425108021122523

Edited by NamMedevac 70

living on only $2K a month. i am still working, paying for a s&b mortgage. and debt. and right now i can not pull it together at $5-6K a month.

but i must get it right in five years and eleven months.... sooner?

need to sell off everything, but just found out my mortgage company was allowing "other" company's into my personal info, and now that access point as been hacked with all my info taken. and so far ebay has been hacked and they refuse to help clear it it up. need to find a quick way to sell stuff.

my biggest problem, is i am a "collector" not a seller.

i can not count how much ho scale rolling stock i have, and then the locos (brass and plastic, diesel, steam). guess i get to pay a big fee to flea bay.

ca is locked down, so can not even take a day off work to drive 100 miles (one way) to a train club to try and sell off some items. (they do weekends--i work then).

sure i can try to sell off my gardening tools on craig's list. maybe get penny's on the dollar for my motorcycles. (three of them).

sad part is not many out there have any moneys to buy things "used". people are racking up a big credit debt.  i work weekends so a yard sale is a no-go.

i guess i could just give away all my books to the county. as many out there do not understand the power of a Printed book.

and who still likes videos on a cd?

but yes i do need to knuckle under and put up a better front to selling off my lifes collection of "junk".

3 hours ago, packnrat said:

i can not count how much ho scale rolling stock i have, and then the locos (brass and plastic, diesel, steam). guess i get to pay a big fee to flea bay.

ca is locked down, so can not even take a day off work to drive 100 miles (one way) to a train club to try and sell off some items. (they do weekends--i work then).

I'm sure glad we could take our train stuff to club sales. Surely, those will start up again as more people get vaccinated as they are good money makers for the clubs. The question then becomes if your stuff has enough value to make it worth taking a day off work. Unfortunately, other people don't always value our stuff as highly as we do and RR flea market shoppers generally are not as willing to pay as much as eBay buyers are. Rock meet hard place.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, packnrat said:

my biggest problem, is i am a "collector" not a seller.

It may be worthwhile when you're closer and ready to go is to just have an auction or estate sale.  They know how to advertise to the right buyers, you'll save the headache of running all around trying to sell stuff or from always being 'on call' for people to phone you or come to your house or the many that will phone & set up a time and then don't show.  In the long run it may be cheaper and you'll get rid of it in a day.  Most folks will not appreciate the things you have for sentimental reasons so you're not going to get top dollar from things you think should be worth more.

We were never collectors of 'stuff' so it was so much easier. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

my train stuff is from a collection of over 40 years. some junk, some top dollar, heck i have even rebuilt low grade cars with add-ons worth far more than the car would sell today at retail. gone are the days of $2,usd rolling stock.

almost no train shows in ca. just not a hobby here any longer. including pre flu days. out of what well over 40 stores  (sacramento - sf bay area, fresno aka: northern ca ) now i only know of three. might still be a couple "specialty places"

i have been trying to "list" my rolling stock and motive power, but what a task, and i am slow on the computer. must have over 400 cars listed so far and only put a dent in the total. listing includes the simple looks, road name/number, and my id number (applied to the bottom of the car). not figured how to include photo. some are worth it.

---LACKAWAXEN STOURBRIDGE RAILROAD. sesquicentennial in blue with the rr guy and wording "we were there" 50 ft single door.

i have a number of such "special" very limited run cars.

i would need to find out if a club would allow me to show up at one of the club nights (are they even doing them any longer?) and see if i could sell there. big layout so can handle all of my larger locos. sad i do not own a big blow.

https://www.scaletrains.com/product/museum-quality-ho-scale-union-pacific-gtel-8500-horsepower-big-blow-turbine-18-r3/

Kirk's link looked to me like a typical regional or national train show done virtually. Those tend to not be good places to sell used equipment.

Packnrat, Is the La Mesa Model Railroad Club in San Diego's Balboa Park still active? If so, that's who I would contact about selling stuff. Mostly, I suppose, because I use to attend operating sessions there every now and then. :)

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Packnrat In my former crooked little hometown in Texas a certain savings and loan bank was selling people's home mortgages to a Houston outfit that bundled many different types of loans for investment purposes to WS funds without giving the people the opportunity to pay off the house loan.  Interest rates were then increased on the outstanding loans in form of new fees and other expenses, etc., etc. and they started receiving threatening letters of foreclosure and possible loss of homes.

Although legal this was very unethical said the secretary and wife of the local S&L owner just before they moved to Houston.  They  later divorced. She was close friends of my mother just so you know.  American style dark capitalism is so very lovely and   sophisticated /hypocritical.  Unlike the 50s the local police force in the 80s was a sick joke. 

In spite of best efforts of some others I live a very comfortable life with lots of outdoor activities in scenic western USA.  Did I say FISHING-FISHING. 

"coffee coffee" said a frozen actor in a movie

Former honest small business tax accountant and SEC CFP.

Capt. Bill Perkins flying with the Royal Thai Air Police and Military

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1735404620095049&type=3

Edited by NamMedevac 70

i would know nothing south of bakersfield. the club i would contact is the walnut creek model rail road society in walnut creek ca, (sf east bay). i was a member there decades back.

and only one "train show" still know to me around here any longer, but this flu has everything shut down.

i need to get my ebay account un-hacked first.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Original poster has not been on for about three years but here is my 2 cents worth. Like what others have said, depends on what all you do and want to do, how expensive your rig is and how often you travel, and what campgrounds you stay at.

We have averaged under $40 a day for the last three years. That would be under $1,200 per month. This includes for us, fuel, campgrounds, and our RV cost. Our RV cost is what I paid for the RV, how long I plan to use it (10 to 12 years) and expecting some dollars back when we sell it. I allow $2,000 a year for upkeep and maintenance.

If one boondocks, stays at an occasional campground and doesn't drive too many miles in a month, then I think staying under the one grand a month is very possible. Again it all depends on what you want when camping.

1 hour ago, StargazerAL said:

We have averaged under $40 a day for the last three years. That would be under $1,200 per month. This includes for us, fuel, campgrounds, and our RV cost. Our RV cost is what I paid for the RV, how long I plan to use it (10 to 12 years) and expecting some dollars back when we sell it. I allow $2,000 a year for upkeep and maintenance.

What of the remainder of your budget? Do you not health expenses, food, clothing, entertainment, and all of the other things that we all spend for? To me, the real cost is the total of everything spent for any reason, each month.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

StargazerAl how do you have a budget that doesn't include FOOD, health care, clothing, entertainment, etc.?    All of those are costs that all FULL TIMERS have, plus more.  Just getting online has a cost associated with it.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What of the remainder of your budget? Do you not health expenses, food, clothing, entertainment, and all of the other things that we all spend for? To me, the real cost is the total of everything spent for any reason, each month.

I run into this a lot when talking expenses.  People ask "what does it cost to fulltime" but they are actually only asking what are the lifestyle specific expenses.  When I publish my expenses, I itemize by RV expenses but then lump together my "living" expenses.  What I spend on stuff like health insurance, groceries, medical bills isn't going to help anyone and, also they don't need me to tell them what they spend on stuff like that - all they have to do is pay attention to what they are already doing. 

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I do not think there is any one right answer to this question.  It all boils down to  your own lifestyle and wishes.  Are you very basic and a minimal person or are  you lavish and indulge in many meals out and entertainment?

What one person considers minimal, another will consider lavish.  An individual needs to sit down and list all of their normal expenses, payment if any, income source, medical and insurance and then add a contingency for emergencies.  The RV will require regular maintenance such as tires, brakes, cleaning, etc.  Then you have to have funds available for major repairs.  You also need to have funds set aside with an exit plan for when you decide to come off the road.

So, some can be fine with $2000 per month and then other will require over $10.000 per month.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, GR &quot;Scott&quot; Cundiff said:

I run into this a lot when talking expenses.  People ask "what does it cost to fulltime" but they are actually only asking what are the lifestyle specific expenses.  When I publish my expenses, I itemize by RV expenses but then lump together my "living" expenses.  What I spend on stuff like health insurance, groceries, medical bills isn't going to help anyone and, also they don't need me to tell them what they spend on stuff like that - all they have to do is pay attention to what they are already doing. 

I disagree, because a lot of people want to know how they can exist on very, very little money in an RV.  Notice, I said exist, not 'live'.   The ones who touted $2K a month even 16 years ago, were showing existence level budgets, stealth camping in cities, obtaining food from food banks,  sitting in parking lots at McDonalds to get online, etc.   Most people think of budget as the TOTAL they need for everything needed to exist.   And groceries do not cost the same in different parts of the country, nor does medical care or  insurance on their rigs.  

48 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

So, some can be fine with $2000 per month and then other will require over $10.000 per month.

Ken

$2K a month is poverty level income.  One might exist on that, but one doesn't 'RV' in the true sense of the word (Recreational) on that.   Our first year out we met a couple that were full timing in a popup trailer, with their clothes hung across the backseat of their car, using the campground facilities for all toilet/shower needs as well as washing clothes. Cooking was all done outside under a tarp to keep off the rain.   While we were at this park it got particularly cold (ie, down to the 20s at night) and they had to spend a few nights in a motel because their  tiny furnace in the popup couldn't keep them warm.     They were doing the best that they could with their limited resources, but in no way would I have considered that a model of what is called full-time RVing.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Greetings Kirk W, Barbaraok,

As far as the rest of the budget, I tend to look at RV'n as what it actually costs me to travel and perhaps I tend to look at things a bit differently that others. First We aren't full timers. We travel several months out of the year. While food is an expense while traveling, we all have to eat regardless if we travel at an RV or sit at home and eat. Your going to have a food bill regardless of where you are and I personally can't count that as an RV expense. You might pay a higher price by not knowing the best places to shop or different areas might be higher than where you live and that is a true RV expense but shouldn't add up to anything real significant.

As far as health care, I personally don't consider that an RV expense either as you would have that if you sat home or travel. I put those in other categories. The cost of clothing, entertainment, is again something you have to have weather you travel or not. The entertainment part should be added into the cost of travel with a budget of some sort. There are some fringe areas where one could and possibly should include in an RV'n budget. When my RV sits for a few weeks or a couple of months, I don't add that cost into my traveling time but it is a cost of RV'n. Figure I pay several thousand to have the RV there ready for me to use when I want to travel. Again internet is something that most people have regardless if you travel or not. It might cost more in order to take something along when you travel. I don't use WiFi anywhere and certainly wouldn't sit outside of someplace to get online. (good way to get hacked)

I can see that different people's perspective on RV traveling and cost is the way they look at things. I can't deny that food, health insurance and a number of other things are expenses but the way I look at travel is what it actually costs, aside of other bills I will have regardless of if I travel in an RV. This is a good topic and address some important considerations when traveling and the counter points to my post are good ones and do have merit.

The people I know who live on that amount of money for everything are living not just existing. They have community. They have potluck meals. They make music together. They teach each other various skills. They help one another with whatever the needs are from vehicle maintenance to furnishing a van. They caravan together from one site to another. To me, they are a more caring community than most RVers are. Sure, there are some who haven't discovered their community who are pretty much just existing but let's not think they are all like that. It can be a very full life if you choose it.

Have you watched the movie Nomadland? There is a scene where they are having a memorial for one of their group who died from cancer. (In the movie, in real life she is alive and doing fine, I'm pleased to say.)

Linda