Need Ideas or opinions!!!

coachmac9

The problem: Water stains along the edge of the carpet on the ceiling from a roof leak that existed when we bought the RV. Leak is fixed but stain on the ceiling carpet is extremely ugly. 

Solutions tried: 1. Clean with several different types of cleaners with minimal success. 

New idea: Install wood flooring slats that match the wood of the cabinets that cover up the stain and also dress up the ceiling. We are talking about an area of about 10 inches in width and length would be from one end of the bedroom ceiling to the other end. 

Ok, here's where I need your help...do you think it will work or is it a dumb idea??!!!!  and  what are the problems that I might encounter.  Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!!!

We had a few water stains on our ceiling when we bought our unit. (2002 Travel Supreme FW) I used bleach-water in a spray bottle and a soft toothbrush. It took a couple of rounds for the stain to come out, but now you can only see it if you know what to look for. I would test it on a hidden area first. It was a bummer to have to scrub above my head, but it was cheaper than replacing the ceiling and much less frustrating than staring at that dark spot above my recliner! I think I began with a 10% solution then added a bit more bleach to get it to work properly. I recommend good ventilation and eye protection if you go this route. ~Susan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Several have reported using a semi-paste of Oxy-Clean with success. I will tell you what NOT to use, white fabric spray paint/dye. IT DOES NOT WORK WELL! It makes the fabric hard/brittle, when bumped or touched it crumbles away.

Do not use water, as it just leaches the stain color from underneath to the surface of the material.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Contrary to above post, I have had good luck using Walmart general spray paint to cover carpet stains. The trick is to find a close color and just apply light coats until you get desired color match, (not too thick) and do it from different angles. Make sure you feather out the coats like you would when paint matching a car spot repair. If it doesn't work, you can still remove and replace or cover.

Archived