"Hey Buddy, Do You Think You've Got Enough Truck There?"

RandyA

We were heading west from Richmond, VA on I-64 this morning so that we could merge onto I-81 South to Bristol, TN.  About 10 miles out of Charlottesville there is a rest stop just before the long grade going straight up AftonMountain.  I can’t tell you the grade % but it feels like you are heading for the stars and your ears will pop at least twice as the elevation increases.

I pulled into the truck/trailer parking section of the rest stop next to a fellow pulling a Cardinal 5th wheel with a late model RAM sporting the Cummins diesel logo on the front fender.  The Cardinal was a couple of feet shorter than our fiver so it is fair to say it probably weighed proportionally less than ours (maybe 15-16K?).  

When I climbed down from the cab of our Volvo I was greeted with the now familiar comment of “Hey buddy, do you think you have enough truck there?”  I just smiled and started walking toward the restroom.  He followed me and threw out a few more questions/comments along the way asking why I would want something that big and what my MPG was.  I lied about the fuel mileage telling him it was about 15 mpg and that I preferred to have a tow vehicle that would control the trailer rather than one that was controlled by the trailer.  I think my answer may have pissed him off because he stopped talking to me.

When I got back to our truck he had already left heading up the mountain.  I pulled out, built up some speed on the flat and started to climb the mountain.  The inside lane is the truck lane and the outside lane is clearly posted for any vehicle moving less than 60 MPH to only use the inside lane.  I stayed in the outside lane holding a steady 65 mph blowing past a double trailer Fed-X truck and then a log truck barely creeping along.  About halfway up the mountain, I came upon the RAM towing the Cardinal.  He was blowing some black smoke out his exhaust which indicated to me that he was most likely running flat out.  I would guess his speed to be no more than 45 mph.  As I blasted by him I blew the air horns and watched him disappear into my rear view mirror.

I hope he got the message.  No matter though, it made me feel really good!

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I've pulled Afton Mountain many a time.  It's a real doozy in my little truck.  However, I64 gets to be the most fun West of I81 all the way to Charleston, WV.  If that stretch doesn't set your rings, nuthin' will.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

8 hours ago, hone eagle said:

perfect;)

depending on the 'tone'  I'll sometimes say  ya but I cant afford a beauty like yours 

-this was cheaper:ph34r:

This is exactly why I'm looking at big rigs. I would like a new pickup but no way I'm paying that kind of money.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Now Randy you should not fib like that, but sometimes ya just cannot resist.

People ask me how I get the jeep loaded on the back of the truck. 

90 miles an hour and slam on the brakes. Yea right?   Ok so then I tell them about the winch and how I do it with a remote control.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Hi Everyone,

I have a little story to tell myself. This past Black Friday I went camping with my oldest grandson who is a senior in high school. This was the first time he got a chance to travel with me. I pulled into the campground and there was three guys that worked at the campground that where near the office. I parked the truck in front of the office. I just got out of the truck and heard, " Do you think you have a big enough truck to pull that trailer". My answer to them was, " maybe Yes with a pause I said or maybe No". After that they didn't know what else to say. I told them it is all about comfort. All three said you sure have that. I got up into the truck and my grandson was laughing. That conversion made the whole trip for the two of us.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I can't wait to get my entire truck set up so I too can get this question. Yes I am still in the early stages of getting everything set up and not in any hurry just enjoying the journey of it so far.

When I told my family & friends about my idea to buy a semi, they all thought I was off my rocker, why don't you just buy a motor home or get a used 4500 series truck with dual tires on the back and big engine in it or what about a 5500 series MDT truck. OMG I heard it all! So my explanation to them was it is cheaper for the initial purchase of the tractor, once the first big set of repairs are done it is cheaper over the long haul and lifetime of the truck. The Tractor will outlast and other truck I could by. The Volvo is more comfortable to drive over long distances than a 2500 - 4500 or 150 - 450 series of truck. I can stand up in the middle of my cab stretch my hands and not touch the roof, I have the 780. Then I tell them about power and safety. I compare the weight of an empty 53 foot cargo trailer to a fully loaded 45 foot triple axle toy hauler (fuzion 420 or the new 424). At this point things start to become less fogy for them. When it comes to safety I talk about braking power and stopping distance. I also explain turning radius of a pickup verses our tractors. I tell them I travel with 200 gallons of gas and at 10 miles per gallon (yes fudging a little too) I tell them I don't have to start looking for gas until I have traveled about 1700 miles. Then I get on truckers path and look for the best prices along my route.

Anyway I am looking forward to pulling into the campground and getting the question, "Do you think you have enough truck?" also. I have been formulating answers for quite a while. As a teacher when we get the more irritating questions we have just gone over 5 times I like to give a very long winded very detailed answer that makes the eyes glaze over. I think that is what I plan on doing. I might just start by opening up my hood and giving a tour of the entire tractor and asking the person how much they know about the facts and figures and weight to power ratio of the truck and trailer they have compared to mine and how many brakes or axles they have to distribute the weight. I am sure after about 30 minutes they will love my truck or be looking to leave as fast as they can! LOL!

Happy Holidays

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana

My Answer with a MDT, I used to have Dually PU and now I hope I have enough to stop everything.

Also when they say "You have a enough truck to pull that RV", I say its all about stopping.

Clay

Sport Chassis M-2 106

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Agree with Spindrift, the real challenge on I-64 isn't Afton mtn, its Sandstone mtn where you cross the New river.  About 4.5 mi of 7% grade on both sides and the bigger challenge maybe getting down safely rather than going up.  There are run away truck ramps on both sides and they have signs of use!  One white knuckle experience going down Sandstone mtn with a dually convinced me I needed a real truck with a real engine brake, safe travels and best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

My answer to that question is Not really. It is only 465 HP. The next one will be a 600hp.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

My answer to that question is Not really. It is only 465 HP. The next one will be a 600hp.

I mention torque, not hp. Lots of these new trucks have more than us in HP but not the torque

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My "is that enough truck?" story wasn't with the camper.  We were in the Keys backing up to the boat ramp with just our 14' kayak strapped to the deck, and by the time we get out of the truck all the scruffy old liveaboards hanging around the dock are all cackling amongst themselves.  "You sure you got enough truck for that big old boat?"

Randy    Great story but most of those asking that question don't have a real clue as to what a tow truck should be capable of doing. I want to stop the towed rig when I want to not when the trailer will straighten out. i use to tow with a 550 Ford but when it pushed me thru a red light on flat road I knew there was a better way. So the answer to that question is no! As stated before a 780 would be nice!!!  Be safe on the road and have a Merry Christmas and a Joyful New Year.   Pat

The Old Sailor 

8 minutes ago, noteven said:

My rig is a bit rag tag appearance wise, but so far I've only got comments along the lines of "I like your truck" and "that's a nicely matched setup" ...

What am I doing wrong? 

I would prefer that response to, "Hey buddy, do you think you'll ever get a real truck to pull that thing."   😉

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

16 minutes ago, noteven said:

My rig is a bit rag tag appearance wise, but so far I've only got comments along the lines of "I like your truck" and "that's a nicely matched setup" ...

What am I doing wrong? 

Hi noteven,

I think you will like this little story. On my way to the nationals this year I pulled into a rest stop some where on route 70. I was checking the truck and trailer over to make sure everything was ok when a trucker walked up to me and said," I like the the idea". He said he was following me for some time. He started out in southern Ohio and I started out in northern Ohio. I asked him how the trailer was looking going down the road and he said it was a smooth looking ride. He also said he is going to keep an eye out for more rigs towing 5th wheel trailers. He also said that he is going to keep the idea in mine.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

2 hours ago, spindrift said:

I would prefer that response to, "Hey buddy, do you think you'll ever get a real truck to pull that thing."   😉

Guilty. Thank heavens you're a good sport.;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Here's is what we have done last year. We have a dry erase board in our trailer so at the beginning of the year we thought it would be fun to keep track of how many times we where asked this question by making a mark on the outside edge of the board for each time. Made it a third of the way across the bottom of the board that's a lot of hash marks. older people under stand and usually give us a thumbs up  kids on the other hand don't

Archived