South Dakota Domicile and Driver's License Renewal

Dale P

Long story made short Story
May 2013, changed domicile to SD. 
My driver's license renewal date - Jan 2018
Went to SD in Sept 2017 for Susan's renewal, (Jan. 2017).
Used our over night stay in Yankon, SD., paperwork for her and me.
Fast forward to now to cold to go there, my wife did the renewal by mail option.
Had eyes examined - paperwork fill out - Nov 2017.
SD has informed my my DL is being mailed to me. Yippee 

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Salute this worked so well for you!!! I was chuckling at myself, again, as I read your post. 

We're also SD Domiciled. My wife and I were having some items notarized at the end of September, and the notary commented that my DL was about to Expire in February of 2018. I said nope, it's 2019. He said, well you may think that, but your DL's reflect 2018... WHAT THE HECK!!! LOL! I blew it, I was one full year off. 

We traveled West to East on I80 this summer, and hung a right on I25 to spend a few months in Colorado and New Mexico. We were that close to the Southwest corner of South Dakota. Would have been very easy spend a night in Hot Springs, SD to get our Overnight Stay receipt. 

We're in San Diego visiting friends and family for a few months, and did not want to divert to drive to South Dakota at this time. We ended up flying to Denver, renting a car, and driving to Spearfish area to spend a few days to get our Overnight Receipt. Went ahead and drove into Rapid City to renew my DL's, and visit Americas Mailbox. My wife's DL's expires in June of 2018, so as of just a few days ago - she is now within the 6 month renewal window. And will start the process for mail renewal after the Holiday's. 

My LOL! at myself, was because my bad scheduling cost us about $1500 (Flight, rental (Yep, first blizzard of the year blew thru the say day we flew from San Diego to Denver. Cheyenne had blowing winds, snow, and temps in the low 20's. So we rented an Audi A8 'Honey, it's for the added safety it provides us!' BOY WHAT A BLAST TO DRIVE!!), the little cabins at Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort, and a few nice nights out for dinner penalty payment to the DW...). It was a blast of a trip, COLD, and we really enjoyed driving around Spearfish, Lead, Black Hills in general, with a dusting of snow. (We've very little experience with snow, for very neat for us...). 

And yes, the DW and I haver 'corrected' our Domicile related To Do List of actions:)!

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Yikes, Smitty, that's a pricey renewal! I just did Hubby's last March and mine in August online. It was easy peasy, except I got a phone call from the license bureau that I didn't send a check to renew mine. What other state would call  you and tell you that? SD is an awesome state to domicile, small enough for great service. Now if we could get get some good choices for medical insurance. . . .

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

Not why first SNAFU, and I'd bet it won't be my last!!!! 

One of those 'life opportunities' where we made lemonade from my lemon. We really did have a good time, and sure enjoyed seeing the snow (not so much the ice), and beautiful while different scenery. And of course, driving back down to Denver for our flight was nice too. (Stopped in Cheyenne for the night, the day before our flight back to San Diego from Denver.) What a contrast from the mid to low 20's when we landed in Denver headed North. Temps were in the high 60's when we dropped the rental car in the afternoon!!!

I do like South Dakota on many fronts, and yes with the DW just turning 60 next year - hope that more medical options will come along sooner, then later:)!

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I’m a little confused. My SD drivers liscense expires 01/01/2019. I have been told that I must go to SD and spend at least one night to renew. I always renew my vehicles registrations by mail. Some of the above posts state that their drivers liscense renewal was done via mail or online. How is this possible? Is there a way to renew a drivers liscense in SD without physically going there? If not how far in advance can one renew? I don’t want to go there in Dec to renew. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

From the SD Department of Public Safety website:https://apps.sd.gov/ps09onlinerenewal/default.aspx

Driver Licensing - Online Renewal

If you are a US citizen or permanent resident and currently have a Federally Compliant Driver License/ID Card or are upgrading a Restricted License, then you can renew your Driver License/ID Card, request a replacement driver license/ID card, or upgrade a Restricted Permit online.

RENEWALS
You will need to provide your Driver License/ID card Number, date of birth, and last 4 digits of your Social Security number in order for your information to be verified against our records. You will also need to upload or mail 2 documents to prove your residential/physical address. A Vision Statement is required if you are 65 or older.

REPLACEMENT/DUPLICATE OR UPGRADE OF MINOR'S RESTRICTED PERMIT
You will need to provide your Driver License/ID card Number, date of birth, and last 4 digits of your Social Security number in order for your information to be verified against our records. You will also need to upload or mail 2 documents to prove your residential/physical address.  If applicant is under the age of 18, the parental consent form must be completed by a parent and submitted.

If you are eligible to reinstate from a driver's license suspension, and your license has not expired, you may be eligible to apply for the reinstatement online.

PEOPLE WHO TRAVEL FULL-TIME
If you are using a South Dakota mail forwarding address, you will need to complete the Residency Affidavit. You will also need to provide a receipt from a South Dakota hotel/motel, campground or RV park to prove one night of stay within the last year and ONE DOCUMENT no more than ONE year old proving your personal mailbox (PMB) service address (receipt from the PMB business or a piece of mail with your PMB address on it). If you have friends or family in South Dakota and plan to use their address, you can complete and follow the instructions on the Consent for Use of Address form.

If you wish to change your name, license class, CDL class, or CDL endorsements you will need to visit your local exam station to renew your Driver License, because you will not be allowed to change these values in the online system.

Note: Drivers who wear bioptic  lenses are not eligible for online renewal.
Throughout your online transaction, sensitive data transmissions between your browser and our server are secure. The site is certified by Entrust.
Secured By Entrust, SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). Verify
SSL

When you renew, replace, or upgrade your drivers /ID card online, an administrative fee of $2.00 is charged in addition to the renewal fee to help offset the costs of this automated renewal system . We accept Visa and Mastercard for payment of renewals and admin fees.

VisaMaster Card

If you have difficulties using this site, contact us by e-mail at DPSOnlineRenewals@state.sd.us or call 1.800.952.3696. 

Your driver license will be mailed to you in 2 to 3 weeks. Your license will be printed with the same picture that is on your current driver license. If you are mailing your vision statement(if you are 65 years of age or older) and proof of address, it may take longer before you receive the license.

Helpful Hint: if you are scanning documents for proof of address, scan and save them to your computer prior to pressing the continue button below. If you are using a phone, you will have to email the images of your documents to dpsonlinerenewals@state.sd.us after you complete the online application.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

So it appears that if you use the Escapees SD address you Do Need To Stay One Night in SD in order to renew your drivers liscense. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Plus proof of at least one nights stay and if over 65 a documented eye exam.  So....it sounds to me like you might as well go to SD 6 months or closer to your license expiration to renew.  Renewing remotely doesn't sound doable in reality.       Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

No matter which SD domicile address you use, you need to show proof that you have spent 24 hours in SD 364 days prior to the renewal date on your drivers licences. 

See my original post.  

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Archived