Great Buy on Refurb Last model Fire Tablets

RV_

I have one of these that I Paid $69 for on Sale in February of this past year. I also bought the new 10" with the latest software. Folks if all you need are the things an iPad can do and are not using your tablet as a computer like our Windows tablets are, these are great. My wife now uses it for her Kindle reader, and for that alone it is a great deal. Bit it is a great 720p HD tablet in its own right. 90 day warranty makes this with playing with and giving for Christmas to folks you like but not $80 worth of like.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/amazon-fire-hd-8-2016-16gb-tablet-9?ref=w_cnt_gw_zlm_bs_1

Don't know how long that will last.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Did anyone buy one of these yet and see why I like mine so much? I paid $89.99 and these 29.99 are Amazon refurbs with a warranty. Come to think of it these are best with Amazon Prime and this group is less interested in streaming data than stix n brix folks like we are again. I use my membership to download movies for watching offline, and for kindle reading. Oh well.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was very tempted to pick up another one. I aready have a Fire Tablet 8 (32GB). However, by the time you paid the $5 shipping and I think tax it seemed like I was in $12 of the current price of $49.99 for the Fire 8 (16gb), so decided not to. Plus it wasn't going to ship in time to make it to where I'm currently at. 

I do like my Fire Tabet 8. My wife has the 7 and she doesn't like it as well as I like mine. I might just take over her 7 to use in the truck for a mapping program or other navigation stuff. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

11 hours ago, RV_ said:

Did anyone buy one of these yet and see why I like mine so much? I paid $89.99 and these 29.99 are Amazon refurbs with a warranty. Come to think of it these are best with Amazon Prime and this group is less interested in streaming data than stix n brix folks like we are again. I use my membership to download movies for watching offline, and for kindle reading. Oh well.

Yes I bought one.  I think it came to $42 out the door.  Thanks for the heads up.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Great Dennis! If you're a Prime member they really shine. I forgot about the shipping from Woot, but still a good deal on  nice tablet.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Blue,

Yeah we have 7s and they are handy, as well HDXs with better than full HD. I like them all. But he newest are insane for the money.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV, I got the tablet and have a question.  Before I ask I want you to know that I'm not to computer literate.  
One of the reasons I got the tablet was I wanted to use it for the monitor for my drone.  I need the DJI-go app to fly it.  The App store on the tablet doesn't have the DJI-go app.  Can you instruct me on how I can download the App.  Remember I said I don't know much about computers so take it slow............................

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Ouch!

See the thing is that the Fire is a different operating system than mainline Android, so you can't use the Google Play store. You can do a workaround that was outlined here a few threads ago about how to get the Play store on Fire devices.

However first try these DJI Amazon App store apps for DJI. One may be what you need.:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dji+go+app&sprefix=DJI+go+ap%2Caps%2C180&crid=23SSKRXU87Q53&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adji+go+app

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Dennis,

Did those Fire App  store apps work for you?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

17 hours ago, RV_ said:

Dennis,

Did those Fire App  store apps work for you?

No RV, I need the DJI-go app.  I did a little research and read about the way to go around to get the app, but don't quite know how to do it.  I need to study it a little more.

Thanks

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2 hours ago, dennisvr said:

No RV, I need the DJI-go app.  I did a little research and read about the way to go around to get the app, but don't quite know how to do it.  I need to study it a little more.

Thanks

There's another thread on here where I posted the link how to side load the Google Play store on your fire tablet. It's 4 files and quite easy actually. Let me find that thread. 

Thanks Blue, I couldn't recall who posted that where. I still haven't done it either. I just got back from a week in Denver from the 22-29th December with my youngest son and my beautiful DIL and first grandson! (we have three granddaughters from our oldest son) I actually have that bookmarked as I get the howtogeek daily emails too. I claim illness. I caught a cold/flu on the plane up and am still fighting it. IT was still a great visit and white Christmas. NOw we get our stuff sold and get ready to sell this place.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Blue, I couldn't recall who posted that where. I still haven't done it either. I just got back from a week in Denver from the 22-29th December with my youngest son and my beautiful DIL and first grandson! (we have three granddaughters from our oldest son) I actually have that bookmarked as I get the howtogeek daily emails too. I claim illness. I caught a cold/flu on the plane up and am still fighting it. IT was still a great visit and white Christmas. NOw we get our stuff sold and get ready to sell this place.

I don't have a new one here to try it, but it worked on the last two I tried. Let us know how it goes! 

Thanks a lot RV and Bluelghtning with your help I got it.  It worked on my tablet.  It said it would take about 30 min to install, but with me doing it was about 3 times that long, but I got it.
Thanks again.   

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

YW Dennis, just pass it on bud! ;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 12/29/2017 at 7:47 AM, dennisvr said:

RV, I got the tablet and have a question.  Before I ask I want you to know that I'm not to computer literate.  
One of the reasons I got the tablet was I wanted to use it for the monitor for my drone.  I need the DJI-go app to fly it.  The App store on the tablet doesn't have the DJI-go app.  Can you instruct me on how I can download the App.  Remember I said I don't know much about computers so take it slow............................

Were you able to get DJI app to work on the tablet?  Everything I've read says it doesn't have enough horsepower to get a smooth video so I've been afraid to try.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

I have not been able to fly it since I downloaded the app.  I'll try in a day or so if it doesn't rain.
I usually  don't do video, mostly still pictures.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

6 hours ago, ewacowboy said:

Were you able to get DJI app to work on the tablet?  Everything I've read says it doesn't have enough horsepower to get a smooth video so I've been afraid to try.

X2 Not just the main processor but the graphics processor not being able to keep up with the feed, partly due to the lack of sufficient graphic memory, and 16gb system memory not being enough to keep the telemetry feed logging so GO crashes. Worst case.. it'll just RTH once the battery runs low enough.

The GO app isn't really all that large. I think it's something like 250mb, but the cache is what kills ya. You can set it to auto clear in order to make multiple flights, but you can't change the 2gb cache value so when it loads you're already sitting on 1.5-2GB.

41 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

I have not been able to fly it since I downloaded the app.  I'll try in a day or so if it doesn't rain.
I usually  don't do video, mostly still pictures.

I would really be interested in the follow-up as well. If GO won't run I wonder if Litchi might (?). Depending... I run mine on an ipad air 2 or on galaxy S7 edge. Litchi always seems to burn a few less resources but I don't know if it would be enough that it might run on a fire HD8 if GO won't. Might be worth a try through... 

BTW.. what drones are you two running?

49 minutes ago, Yarome said:

X2 Not just the main processor but the graphics processor not being able to keep up with the feed, partly due to the lack of sufficient graphic memory, and 16gb system memory not being enough to keep the telemetry feed logging so GO crashes. Worst case.. it'll just RTH once the battery runs low enough.

The GO app isn't really all that large. I think it's something like 250mb, but the cache is what kills ya. You can set it to auto clear in order to make multiple flights, but you can't change the 2gb cache value so when it loads you're already sitting on 1.5-2GB.

I would really be interested in the follow-up as well. If GO won't run I wonder if Litchi might (?). Depending... I run mine on an ipad air 2 or on galaxy S7 edge. Litchi always seems to burn a few less resources but I don't know if it would be enough that it might run on a fire HD8 if GO won't. Might be worth a try through... 

I've got the P3 standard

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

18 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

I've got the P3 standard

Solid platform. One of mine is brother to yours... a P3A.

I was just looking at the fire 8 specs... it's doesn't look all that bad. It's running a 1.3GHz processor, but it IS a quad-core. It may not be able to run all of the "extra's" (like satellite view), but it "seems" doable for basic flight if you dump all the "bloatware" and background apps and features.

Interesting....

13 hours ago, Yarome said:

I'm running the Mavic Pro.  Runs great on my Pixel but wanting to get a tablet view to fly for my old eyes :D.  I've been looking at the Asus Zenpad 3S 10.  It's got 4G ram and 64G memory.  Should run fine, but if I can save a few dollars.....the problem I see with the Amazon tablet is that it doesn't have GPS chip built in.  I'd like to use the tablet for GPS in the truck as well.

Jim and Kellie

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

2 hours ago, ewacowboy said:

I've been looking at the Asus Zenpad 3S 10.  It's got 4G ram and 64G memory.  Should run fine, but if I can save a few dollars.....the problem I see with the Amazon tablet is that it doesn't have GPS chip built in.

I hear ya. I use a galaxy S7 edge with my mavic, but typically just to run it out to grab some shots to review later. I've looked at a tablet mount, but not too seriously. I figure if I'm going to run the ipad air 2 I might as well just toss up the P3A. ;) I kinda/sorta/too don't like the idea of covering over the controller panel.

The Asus doesn't look too shabby. Not only the GPS, but a 1.7" larger screen, 2.1GHz vs 1.3... and most importantly... 4GB vs 1.5. It certainly is a lot more coin than the Fire, but then again... it "could" be worse. You mighta had your eyes set on one of the new iPad 2017's or worse still... an air 2! :lol:

33 minutes ago, Yarome said:

The Asus doesn't look too shabby. Not only the GPS, but a 1.7" larger screen, 2.1GHz vs 1.3... and most importantly... 4GB vs 1.5. It certainly is a lot more coin then the Fire, but then again... it "could" be worse. You mighta had your eyes set on one of the new iPad 2017's or worse still... an air 2! :lol:

Haha....I'm DEFINITELY not an apple guy....that's never going to happen ;) 

Jim and Kellie

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

I got to fly the P3 with the Fire tablet and it did just fine.  I did a video and had no problems.  Now if I could just see the screen because of the glare it would be great.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived