1991 375 Peterbilt

Patrick

Hi all I’m looking for help setting up this truck as a RV hauler , i would like to be able to incorporate (1) air ride fifth wheel (2) 25ton pindle (3) heavy duty 2” reciever the truck started life as a single axle tractor just before us buying it a new dump body was installed we used it to build everything We needed. There is currently a 1” plate on the tail end of the frame for a pindle hitch will this plate be trouble for installation of the air ride fifth wheel? I cannot get one pic to post on this fourum I’m working on that obviously pics would be helpful 

thanks in advance 

Patrick

57 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Hi all I’m looking for help setting up this truck as a RV hauler , i would like to be able to incorporate (1) air ride fifth wheel (2) 25ton pindle (3) heavy duty 2” reciever the truck started life as a single axle tractor just before us buying it a new dump body was installed we used it to build everything We needed. There is currently a 1” plate on the tail end of the frame for a pindle hitch will this plate be trouble for installation of the air ride fifth wheel? I cannot get one pic to post on this fourum I’m working on that obviously pics would be helpful 

thanks in advance 

Patrick

Hey, all can anyone please help me with posting pics? Everything I try doesn’t work 

I use this site:  http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2

Drag a pic from your files and copy/paste it in the post.  Even this dumb ol' farm boy can do it.

HCv7SBKl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Most likely the two issues you may have with the plate at the tail of the frame is assuming the plate is vertical, is there enough space between that plate and anything on the rear suspension that would prevent you from mounting the airride hitch between the rear frame rails and secondly, how high does that plate extend above the frame rails? Depending on your final hitch height, the hitch head is typically about 7" above the frame rails. If your vertical plate doesn't stick up above the frame rails then you should be ok.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

What is your frame height ?      Most trucks are 38-40" with a Trailer Saver on the rails you are 49-51 inches plate height.     What type of rear suspension do you have?      The plate for your pintle hitch is only an issue IF you were to want to extend the  RV hitch further back.     You could actually cantilever the RV hitch a bit over the plate with some brackets if you choose?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Just drive a smart car up into the dump bed and then lower it down. Then pull your trailer with the pintle hitch or class III hitch.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

My hitch all bolted on. My last trailer had a short A-frame hitch and couldn't back real sharp. My new trailer has a longer a-frame. Haul an old Harley golf cart. Flat bed made with 2x3 tubing and angle iron. Used extruded aluminum bleecher seating material for planking. Everthing is bolted together. 2 piece ramps fit in storage under bunk in sleeper. Have portable winch for loading now. Don't ask why.YNy1JfOl.jpg

Very nice, I like the old school paint on the truck, I’m wood shedding on how I’m going to do this. The truck started life as a single screw tractor now that the dump body was installed I have some challenges with the tail of the frame I’ll get it i just need a minute I’m going to post some pictures of the frame (tail) thanks to everyone 

Merry Christmas!!!!!! 

On 12/24/2017 at 3:49 PM, beemergary said:

Finished product.f2j7klUl.jpg

Howdy beemergary,

When building the bed on my Pete, I am debating using 1/4 fenders in front and mud flaps in the rear OR using the full fenders like you have on your truck.  My question to you is this, when using the full fenders is there enough clearance for chains?  I do not "plan" on doing any snow-ice driving but where I live and where I travel I have to be able to chain up if caught in a storm or simply to get into or out of where ever I may be.  Looking at the photo of your truck the fenders seem to fit quite close to the tires, do you know off hand how much actual clearance there is, would it be difficult to mount the fenders higher?  Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy beemergary,

When building the bed on my Pete, I am debating using 1/4 fenders in front and mud flaps in the rear OR using the full fenders like you have on your truck.  My question to you is this, when using the full fenders is there enough clearance for chains?  I do not "plan" on doing any snow-ice driving but where I live and where I travel I have to be able to chain up if caught in a storm or simply to get into or out of where ever I may be.  Looking at the photo of your truck the fenders seem to fit quite close to the tires, do you know off hand how much actual clearance there is, would it be difficult to mount the fenders higher?  Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

I had those  custom made so they follow the radius of tires. There's very little room. I even raised the front of truck so things are level. I have the 24.5 tires and that does not help. Without mud flaps and the more aggresive tread of tires picks up stones and hits my trailer. Have only 2" clearance but could have more if I adjusted leveling valve different

Archived