Skylight or not

GlennWest

4 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I removed our sky light in the shower and installed a base level Fantastic fan (no reverse or remote). It still lets in the light and the fan sucks out any moisture 5 min after the shower is done, leaving the glass door and walls dry. The fan was a direct drop in for our Cameo fifth wheel. Power is from the O/H shower light.

Greg

Then you need to deal with the inside vs just dropping in another.  Mine has a shade so it blocks most of the light.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 12/14/2017 at 1:31 PM, GlennWest said:

This is interesting. I'm surprised how many like a skylight. Know if I custom ordered one I would delete it.

We would also not order one.  We are wintering in La Grande, OR, and the skylight is a huge energy leak.  We will never have another one if buying new.

Well we walk to a different tune.  When our 9 year old skylight was cracked in hail storm in the outer shell, we didn't think twice about replacing it.  The original was a double layer dome which we could not find.  So we installed two full-thickness acrylic  domes with an air space in between.  We used double sided Eternabond tape between the domes and the edge to the rood and regulator Eternabond on the outer using thin quarter-round the provide an easy bend for the tape.

Never had a leak. Skylight replace.

We light the light and never use the shade in the Travel Supreme.  The Bounder has a dome over the shower that is necessary for headroom.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, hutchman said:

We would also not order one.  We are wintering in La Grande, OR, and the skylight is a huge energy leak.  We will never have another one if buying new.

We use a insulating pillow to fit into our Fantastic fan for cold nights and just remove it when taking a shower.

• 3 weeks later...

However. The Teton is two separate domes. Inside and outside. You can simply drop the inside and fill up the air gap with insulation. I’m thinking of doing this and mounting LED light on the top of the inside dome (under the insulation). Right now I’ve had the inside dome off since I ordered new one. New one sitting in truck. I’ll get around to it soon. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• 3 months later...

Excellent thread, we have a huge skylight in our new rig and are expecting it to be too hot in the South Texas heat.  

Was planning to fill the empty cavity with pink insulation ☹️ if it gets too hot.  I do appreciate the confirmation of my first choice and the additional measures such as painting it or covering with eternabond should that not work out.

Since we are in the Southwest the heat is our issue so we bought a piece of 4" thick foam close to the size of the opening.  (its much larger than a vent opening)  Cut it to a bit oversize so it holds itself up in the opening and wrapped it in some fabric my wife likes.   Pop it in when we want to block the light or  heat.  (or cold)   Been using it for a year and the only thing i have noticed is the fabric on the top side is fading a bit from the sun.   

Works like a charm and no need to modify anything.   -Bill

Edited by bigbillsd

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

• 3 weeks later...

We have one over the tub.  We like the extra light offered in the bathroom.  We had a fine crack that I missed during a roof inspection.  Had 2 days of down pours and it leaked like crazy.  Called Heartland and $17 later a new unit was shipped in 3 days.  Took around an hour to replace.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

• 1 year later...

Know this is an old thread, but removed my skylight today. Was going to wait till cooler weather but it started leaking again. When I removed it saw why. Roof was replaced on our Teton just before we purchased it. Original owner stated he got too close to a tin building edge. Hugh gash and insurance put new roof on. Well, whoever done the work, just put top cover on with no sealent under flange. Just screwed down and sealed from outside. Seems everytime I towed it leaked. Took me quite a while to remove all that sealant.We already like this better.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...

Interesting they did that Glen. I have that big skylight in my shower. Hard to nap in the afternoon all that light pouring in. I eternabond taped half the dome outside to block some light out.  As for roof vents with fans. I have not one in my roof. only holes are the air conditioner holes, and plumbing vents. Almost forgot I do have attic vents up there as well. but they don't come all the way through to the interior.

We didn't like the living room skylight in our Teton and it leaked.  I sealed it with Eternabond and used Liquid Roof to cover the entire skylight and the Eternabond.  Put foam board on the inside and closed the cover.  It now stays cooler in the summer and warmer on winter nights. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

It is truly amazing at the amount of heat that comes in from one. It was so apparant once removing it. I did it mostly for the constant leaking problem and lilely would have never removed it if it wasn't a problem with leaking. We are so glad i did.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party, but here goes:

We replaced the dome over our shower a year ago.  The screws were overtightened from the factory (in '08), and nearly every screw had a small crack radiating from it.  Except the one which had a BIG crack.  Plus, installers ran a bead of caulk all the way around the perimeter, effectively creating a moat, so when it rained, all the water came through the crack.  We carefully put the new dome in place and only sealed the screw heads and put a thin bead under the flange.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago.  Returning from the HDT National, we had rain, and found drips on the kitchen table.  Smae thing, cracks radiating from mounting screws.  We have two skylights in the kitchen area, and the local rv stealer quoted me $105 each for new domes.  A quick call to the hardware store later, I had 2 new flat replacements, 1/4" thick Lexan. for $72 total.  It should outlast the coach.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

You said nothing about rot from the leakage.

Hopefully it would be like mine. It leaked from the git-go, but fortunately water was running under the flange and down the roofing material and dripping in the tub. Poor calking job..... It got fixed real good when a new roof was installed.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

14 hours ago, GlennWest said:

You said nothing about rot from the leakage.

No rot.  We caught it early.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Duh.  The inner dome sticks up above the roof a couple inches.  Who-da thunk?  Obviously, not this amateur. Found some replacements on ebay for $43.  So, the coach is in the way for a few more days.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN