Skylight or not

GlennWest

See a lot of forums about leaks around skylights. That my problem. Usually damage is done once you see a spot on ceiling. Yes, it supplies light for showering. Most of my showers are at night and I see fine. They have no insulation there so they are hot in summer and cold in winter.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I agree about the light for the shower. Also, if you are tall the skylight gives you additional head room(think resale).

Height not an issues with our Teton. Have no intention of trading it in. Keeper.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Our shower dome is double pane . Never noticed a leak or a difference in temps . 

I did notice that the original sealer that the factory used was starting to loosen and I removed the dome , cleaned the sealer and applied new sealer . I replaced the dome , screwed it down and then applied my preferred roof repair tape ( much the same as eternabond ) . That was about 5 years ago . No leaks  .

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

I specifically removed the skylight from our new DRV when we ordered it.  I had LED lights installed in the ceiling above the shower instead for light.  I did this for two reasons.  The primary reason was I wanted as much roof space as possible for solar.  The second reason was we almost always had the skylight above the shower in our old trailer covered in the summer time because it let in so much heat.  I did have to make my case to my DW because she wanted the natural light, but I was able to prevail on this issue for the build (she prevailed on some other issues).  Also, height was not an issue in our DRV, so that wasn't a consideration.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I did like Chad did and deleted it and added another light. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

When hail wiped out the skylight on my previous rig (Landmark by Heartland) I replaced it with a Maxair powered vent.  I really like a vent directly over the shower to vent the steam out.  I still had plenty of room for solar - if I remember correctly it had 600 watts total.

Tempted to remove the skylight in current MH and replace with powered vent.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

In our Winni 5'r I painted it blue from the outside. When you looked up from the inside there was a pretty blue sky with a few clouds ( The lighter coats) . I'll admit it was kinda different, but DW sure liked it..... = Me Happy...

Edited by NTPA Announcer

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

You don't think the steam would cause problems?

We have no issues with the LED puck lights (3 of them) above our shower.  If it gets particularly steamy, I just turn on the fantastic fan and it is gone in short order.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

If I ordered a new one again, I would opt not to have one.  From the factory you get one led light in the shower and when you delete it you get 2.  So light is not really an issue.

I would think it would be a ton more work to delete one vs replace one on a used rig.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

18 hours ago, rynosback said:

If I ordered a new one again, I would opt not to have one.  From the factory you get one led light in the shower and when you delete it you get 2.  So light is not really an issue.

I would think it would be a ton more work to delete one vs replace one on a used rig.

Not really. Build frame inside, plywood, luan, roof , etherbond edges.

I removed our sky light in the shower and installed a base level Fantastic fan (no reverse or remote). It still lets in the light and the fan sucks out any moisture 5 min after the shower is done, leaving the glass door and walls dry. The fan was a direct drop in for our Cameo fifth wheel. Power is from the O/H shower light.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01