Volunteer Nature Park Host

laguyon

Volunteer May 1st through October 31st, at a small, beautiful nature park in exchange for a spacious campsite with full hookup.  Spring Lake Nature Park at Streator, Illinois is a city owned, volunteer assisted nature park, the home of deer, wild turkeys, birds, raccoons, rabbits, and butterflies.  Singles and couples are encouraged to apply.  The park provides two campsites (no public camping) for hosts, who open and close the park gate, greet park guests, monitor guests’ adherence to park rules, check trails for needed maintenance, and pick up trash. No toilet cleaning is required. Hosts work three or four days a week on alternating weeks.  For safety, an underground tornado shelter is provided on site.  Furry family members are welcome.  Streator, located in north central Illinois, is a community of 15,000 people and is home to a WalMart, Kroger’s Grocery, Walgreens, Ace Hardware, and an emergency room, all located near the rural park. See Spring Lake Nature Park at www.springlakefalls.org.  Apply by sending a photo of you, your hard top living unit, and resume to: Lois Guyon, laguyon@frontier.com,  508 Columbus Rd., Streator, IL 61364 (phone: 815 343-3774).

On 12/12/2017 at 6:29 PM, Kirk Wood said:

I don't think that any of the wildlife there is big enough to harm you!   :P

No but Chicago IL has the highest murder rate in the nation and I do not go anywhere without my weapon. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

10 hours ago, Twotoes said:

No but Chicago IL has the highest murder rate in the nation and I do not go anywhere without my weapon. 

Golly, I don't remember hearing about large numbers of murders in the areas visitors are likely to visit.  Such as the downtown area, sports arenas, museums, etc.   Oh, I bet the press just hides that info so people will still come to visit.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We camp hosted at Illini SP near Marseilles, Ill. back in July, 2017. We never had any security issues or concerns there. I also have a CHL but never carry (only got it for the training and experience), some people are just way too paranoid in this world. Relax and enjoy life a little, you have a greater chance of being killed in a car accident.

Spring Lake sounds like a good gig, but when I checked into them last spring, they wanted a host for the whole 7 month season, too long for my style.

Illini SP and Spring Lake Nature Park are very safe places to work.  At Spring Lake, women hike and walk dogs alone without fear, and hosts do not have problems with park visitors.  There is no need to be armed in rural Illinois. 

We do prefer our hosts to stay for the six month season, but we have had occasions where hosts stayed for less time.  It is always good to check with us.  Some years, our hosts move south by the middle of October due to the weather getting cold.  This year, we had hosts who choose to stay until into November.  We do have to shut off the water when the temperatures reach freezing.  

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing!

Good luck and Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer