Laptop replacement

GlennWest

blue, I am pleading  with you to share the secret of how to stop the push pop up question on sites with out constantly having to click -not now- or ignore the box. The rvnetwork one on this discussion has gotten really agravating to me.  Of course I may just be too sensitive:rolleyes:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, bigjim said:

blue, I am pleading  with you to share the secret of how to stop the push pop up question on sites with out constantly having to click -not now- or ignore the box. The rvnetwork one on this discussion has gotten really agravating to me.  Of course I may just be too sensitive:rolleyes:

bigjim, if you are on chrome, I can probably help. 

Here are the steps. If you are currently set to ask before sending, that means you'll get notifications for any site you visit that can do push notifications and if you accidentally accepted one, you can see in that list and remove it. If don't ever want to see that again, just turn off the ask before sending and you won't get asked. I hope that helps. 

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
  5. Click Notifications.
  6. Choose to block or allow notifications: Block all: Turn off Ask before sending.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

I have a dedicated chrome that I only do banking on.  The main one is on Windows 7 Home Premium so your gallant try won't work here. Thanks anyway.

What browser are you using? I'm sure just about any have similar setups? 

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Do you mean like firefox? That is what I use most.

Yes, you should be able to do this in FF too.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox

Starting with version 44, Firefox can deliver on-screen notifications even when that site isn’t loaded. Using the Push API, a W3C standard, Firefox receives a push message and can show notifications (if permitted by the user) at any time. Sites can also use Push to update data in the background even without showing you a notification. If you already gave permission to a site to send notifications, the site will also be able to use the Push API. You can choose whether or not to give permission for a specific website by following these instructions:

1. Click the Site Info button icon to bring up the Control Center.
  2. Click the arrow in the prompt.
  3. Click More information to bring up the Page Info window.
  4. Click the Permissions tab.
  5. Under Receive Notifications, choose a notification option: Always Ask, Allow, or Block. If your choices are greyed out, remove the checkmark next to Use Default.

I think I found what you are talking about but I don't think it will stop what I am talking about.  It says that web push is an opt in and as I follow the steps I find I don't have any sites enabled for web push.  If I knew how to take a screen shot and post it I know that would help.  Trying to be clear in case I haven't been it is the rectangular box trying to get me to opt in. I think this site -rvnetwork.com- and google are the 2 main ones that do this. This site is the worst. I will continue to play with the firefox controls to see if I am missing something.

Blue,

The instructions you cut and pasted for FF did not work for me.

Jim, to stop push notifications use the below part of the link Blue provided, which is what worked for me:

How do I revoke Web Push permissions for a specific site?

Web Push is always opt-in in Firefox. A site cannot send you push messages without your permission. To stop a specific site from sending you push messages:

1. Click the menu button Fx57Menu and choose Options.
  2. In the Privacy & Security panel, go to the Permissions section.
  3. Click the Settings button next to Notifications.
  4. Select the website.
  5. Click Remove Website.

To stop all sites from sending you push messages, follow the above steps except, instead of selecting a specific site, click Remove All Sites. Websites will not be able to send you messages and will need to ask your permission to send them in the future.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 12/13/2017 at 1:55 PM, BlueLghtning said:

Unless you are going to spend decent money on a laptop to get good hardware and just need it to run programs that only run on windows, a chromebook can easily take it's place for much cheaper and you'll probably be much happier in the long run.

I won't deny that Chromebooks are generally cheaper than laptops, but I just purchased an ASUS 15" laptop for my wife with an 8th Gen Core i5, 8GB of RAM, a full HD (1920x1280) display and a 1TB HDD for $499 delivered from Amazon.  This is a reasonably powerful computer whose performance ranks not far behind my two-year-old Core i7-powered laptop. At that price I figured I might as well get a full-fledged Windows computer rather than a Chromebook, especially since this one weighs in at less than 4 pounds.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

rv/blue There are no websites listed there at all for me to remove.  In my pea brain that is what they are trying to get me to do- give them permission.  As soon as I click on something like a new topic I get the box asking me to allow or not now.  The upper part of the box asks will you allow rvnetwork to send you notifications.   shows a learn more link after the question.  I just tried all this just before posting this and keep getting the same result.  I appreciate you guys trying to help but if this gets too tiresome we can let it go at whatever point you want. Again thanks again.

Sun. 11:20   I just noticed  a minute or 2 ago a symbol in the address line that I had not picked up before (thanks again trifocals) and I hovered over it with the mouse pointing arrow.  It said," you have blocked notifications for this website". So it seems that the popup is as I said, them trying to get me to agree to them.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 12/13/2017 at 2:31 PM, BlueLghtning said:

Just so people understand there is still the possibility of network management at 22gb per line using a device with it's own data, but yes there is no hard throttle at 15gb if you use a hotspot. You probably haven't been network managed or maybe not even passed the 22gb, but it's probably way less likely to happen vs throttling that always happens. 

Would you explain the context  of your using the word "hotspot"? In my vernacular, a hotspot is when you allow other devices to connect to your tethered phone as the distribution device. I believe the word Mifi gets tossed into the mix, but isn't that just Verizon's name for their Jetpacks? I have heard Mobley, Jetpack,, hotspot, and Mifi all used interchangeably, and we should clarify context here so everybody is using the same term to mean the same thing. Mobley is an AT&T term, is it not? Jetpack is a Verizon term, is it not? And both do the same thing in essence, distribute data to devices logged into it.

I have Verizon unlimited data, and I have yet to tax the limits because I am still at home. (Come spring I need to know this stuff.) If I understand my plan, data prioritization on the phone starts at 15gb consumed. Then to factor in the Jetpack (which I do not yet own) adds an additional 22gb of consumption before data prioritization starts. And I do understand the aspect of tower congestion.

So in the quoted section you said "if you use a HOTSPOT". Hotspot to me means turning on the tethering inside your phone. Is that what you meant, or did you mean a physical data distribution device (which I would call a Jetpack in Verizon=speak)?

Lots of mention of Chromebooks on this thread. I bought one last night (arriving Tuesday) only after realizing that this latest Windows 10 build (1709) makes it near impossible to disable automatic updating. Looking ahead to times when my internet will be via cellular data, I DO NOT want to waste bandwidth updating Windows. I have 3 desktops (1 on 10, 2 on 7) and 2 laptops (1 on each OS),  all used for different things, and I don't want 5 devices updating over cellular. 1 of them, the music studio PC,  will never be on the internet. 1 is just for TV (if I don't get satellite). The other is for video editing and blogging, and I can move those to an SD card and upload from the Chromebook.  When I land at a Walmart or a McDonalds where I can snag wifi, I will let them update then. I really want to keep the Windows computers off the internet unless they are on wifi. My main concern is not how much data the Chromebook uses, but avoiding those updates that Microsoft shoves down my throat (though I think a colonoscopy is a more accurate metaphor). TV will likely be DirecTV because they have the NFL package. I have to watch my Browns. If I watch TV on the internet I can stream it from the Chromebook and cast it. I tested casting from my laptop to the TV with my internet connection turned off, and it casted just fine on LAN only.

Everybody's needs are different so there are many answers for different situations. I am rather fluent on the computer and networking side of things. What I am learning are the nuances of the cellular side. You guys who have been on the road a while know it very well!

1 hour ago, eddie1261 said:

So in the quoted section you said "if you use a HOTSPOT". Hotspot to me means turning on the tethering inside your phone. Is that what you meant, or did you mean a physical data distribution device (which I would call a Jetpack in Verizon=speak)?

People use both of these definitions interchangeably when they are referring to using a device as a router for connecting other devices to the internet (usually via wifi).  It doesn't make a lot of difference if you use a phone's "hotspot app" or if you use a device, such as a Jetpack, which is simply a cellular device which has no talk function (although it does have a phone number).

As for your description of what you have available to you, your Jetpack (which is also called a MiFi by Verizon) has only a 15GB monthly budget (not 22GB) before Verizon cuts it back to 3G speeds.  I know this because I have one.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

59 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

this latest Windows 10 build (1709) makes it near impossible to disable automatic updating.

With all due respect, I don't think this is correct.  From what I've read, for Fall Creator's Update (1709) all that has to be done is to designate a wifi connection as being "metered".  This is done in the Manage Known Networks section of Setup/Wifi.  Then under Settings/Updates/Advanced Options make sure you don't check the box that would enable updating over metered connections.

Here's an article which discusses the issue from the perspective of someone who wants to be able to update over a metered connection, but you can easily see see how to prevent this, also: Updates over metered connections--Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, docj said:

People use both of these definitions interchangeably when they are referring to using a device as a router for connecting other devices to the internet (usually via wifi).  It doesn't make a lot of difference if you use a phone's "hotspot app" or if you use a device, such as a Jetpack, which is simply a cellular device which has no talk function (although it does have a phone number).

As for your description of what you have available to you, your Jetpack (which is also called a MiFi by Verizon) has only a 15GB monthly budget (not 22GB) before Verizon cuts it back to 3G speeds.  I know this because I have one.

Is it the other way around? The Jetpack has 15 and the phone has 22?

2 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect, I don't think this is correct.  From what I've read, for Fall Creator's Update (1709) all that has to be done is to designate a wifi connection as being "metered".  This is done in the Manage Known Networks section of Setup/Wifi.  Then under Settings/Updates/Advanced Options make sure you don't check the box that would enable updating over metered connections.

Here's an article which discusses the issue from the perspective of someone who wants to be able to update over a metered connection, but you can easily see see how to prevent this, also: Updates over metered connections--Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

You are correct. I was looking under the updates section for a place that said "Do not download and install automatically" like it was on 7. That is what is gone. I really prefer they NOT send me anything until I agree to accept it, but they didn't ask me either so...  I also turned off the WUAU service and disabled it from running at startup so between those things I should have stopped the colonoscopy that is Windows updates. Here at home I don't care on 100mb down internet. When I hit the road, the game changes.

2 hours ago, docj said:

And here's the problem. It says "Under pause updates...."

There is no longer a pause updates.

On 12/17/2017 at 3:38 PM, docj said:

There is no longer a "pause updates" that the linked article tells me to click. That's what started the discussion.

Is it the other way around? The Jetpack has 15 and the phone has 22?

You're confusing the 15GB hotspot restriction with the 22GB possible network management slowdown. 

Phones have a 15GB/mo hotspot limit; beyond that limit service is restricted to <600Mbps for all uses.  Phones also have a possible slowdown due to network deprioritization when you exceed 22GB/mo/per phone.  This slowdown is dependent on network conditions and I have yet to notice it, if it has existed at all.

Jetpacks have the same 15GB/mo limit; I know for fact that they are restricted to <600Mbps if they exceed that limit.  Since Jetpacks are already limited at 15GB, the 22GB limit has no relevance to them.

As I said before, I know that what I am saying is correct because I'v been living with it for months.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

There is no longer a "pause updates" that the linked article tells me to click. That's what started the discussion.

You don't need that all you have to do is make sure you don't enable updates over metered connections!

windows.JPG

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

6 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

Would you explain the context  of your using the word "hotspot"? In my vernacular, a hotspot is when you allow other devices to connect to your tethered phone as the distribution device. I believe the word Mifi gets tossed into the mix, but isn't that just Verizon's name for their Jetpacks? I have heard Mobley, Jetpack,, hotspot, and Mifi all used interchangeably, and we should clarify context here so everybody is using the same term to mean the same thing. Mobley is an AT&T term, is it not? Jetpack is a Verizon term, is it not? And both do the same thing in essence, distribute data to devices logged into it.

I have Verizon unlimited data, and I have yet to tax the limits because I am still at home. (Come spring I need to know this stuff.) If I understand my plan, data prioritization on the phone starts at 15gb consumed. Then to factor in the Jetpack (which I do not yet own) adds an additional 22gb of consumption before data prioritization starts. And I do understand the aspect of tower congestion.

Eddie, yes hotspot, jetpack, mifi, all get thrown around interchangeably. I think I was talking about AT&T above because AT&T doesn't put a hard throttle on their mifi/jetpacks at 15gb as Verizon does. So AT&T mifi device only is subject to 22gb network management. However, AT&T does inforce a 10gb hotspot limit when used on the phone.

As Docj said, a Verizon jetpack does have a 15gb limit before it gets automatically throttled to 600kbs and you never even get the chance to reach the 22gb limit on a dedicated data device. The 22gb network managemnt only comes into play on a smartphone or tablet with it's own cellular. 

Archived