Utah I-215?

freestoneangler

6 hours ago, JimK said:

I have taken I215 several times and do not remember any restrictions.  I don't think a road can be labeled as an Interstate and not allow trucks.  You are definitely better off than driving through the city.

Atlanta is well known, no trucks within the beltway. Segments in L.A as well... I'm sure there are others.

2 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Jay,

Atlanta is no thru trucks allowed. That restriction is just to help with congestion downtown. As long as you are making a delivery inside the loop, you can take a semi downtown in Atlanta.

Absolutely true. My post should have read "no through trucks"'. The point being, there are stretches of interstate with truck prohibitions. For example, I71/I75 NB into Cincinnati is being considered as a truck restricted route, last I heard.

But back to the OP's original question about I-215 in Salt Lake City...... I don't believe there is any restrictions on I-215 through SLC. 

However there is a freeway called Legacy Parkway (also labeled SR-67 on some maps)  which branches off I-15 in the far N side of SLC and continues about 11 miles to I-215.  Legacy Parkway has a no trucks restriction.  Legacy Parkway parallels I-15.

I don't know if Legacy Parkway has a restriction for large RV's.  On our many trips up and down I-15 I have wondered if we could take the parkway.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Right or wrong, I think of myself as  an RV. I do not stop at weigh stations like trucks do (unless it very specifically includes RVs). I do not stay out of the left lane in areas where trucks are required to do that. The only time I worry about it is when I might need to be cautious due to a height or weight restrictions. Over thousands of miles now I have never been stopped for that, including using routes that say no thru trucks. Maybe I have been lucky but I am more inclined to think that it is because I am an RV and not a commercial truck/trailer combo.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

About driving in the left lane......I REALLY hope those of us in RV stay out of the left lane unless we can keep up with the traffic, which typically travels at 5-15mph OVER the speed limit. 

We get enough bad press about holding up traffic without driving in the left lane.

Personally, I drive in lanes as far right as is practical for me.  That is if traffic is 4 lanes in one direction, I will drive in the 2nd from the right lane, unless the on/off traffic is light, generally I won't drive in the 3rd from the right unless I can easily drive at the traffics speed and the two right lanes are clogged.  On highways with 3 lanes in one direction I will drive in the right most lane unless there is lots of on/off traffic AND I can keep up the the traffic in the center lane. 

I try to be considerate of the other drivers, especially those who feel comfortable driving faster than I do. 

Now, Have I driven in the left lane when the signs prohibit trucks in the left lane?  Well, yes, when traffic is really heavy and I won't slow down the traffic in the left lane.  As soon as traffic lets up in the other lanes I move to the right as quickly as possible. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

39 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Al, I normally cruise at 70 to 75 mph depending on where I am. If I need to get in the right lane and get around traffic, I will but I don't hang out there and hold up the folks that want to run 80 and up.

I can't drive the left lane in 4+ lanes like around Atlanta or Houston.... Truck can't go fast enough to keep up especially when towing.  I can barely do the speed limit in Montana.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

12 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Al, I normally cruise at 70 to 75 mph depending on where I am. If I need to get in the right lane and get around traffic, I will but I don't hang out there and hold up the folks that want to run 80 and up.

WOW! You really drive your HDT towing a 40 foot trailer at 75mph.  I do hope all your tires are rated for that speed.  I sincerely hope you never have a steer tire blow at the speed.   Best of luck to you.  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 12/13/2017 at 6:24 AM, Al F said:

But back to the OP's original question about I-215 in Salt Lake City...... I don't believe there is any restrictions on I-215 through SLC. 

However there is a freeway called Legacy Parkway (also labeled SR-67 on some maps)  which branches off I-15 in the far N side of SLC and continues about 11 miles to I-215.  Legacy Parkway has a no trucks restriction.  Legacy Parkway parallels I-15.

As a Salt Lake City resident, I can confirm that what's written above is entirely correct.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:58 AM, gerald wilhelm said:

Utah I215 you can use no problem it is I think 20 miles longer 

The difference is actually less than 3 miles.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

On 12/12/2017 at 5:42 PM, Mntom said:

Minnesota has one. Interstate I35E (through St. Paul) has a no trucks over 9000 pounds restriction.

I-580 through Oakland has a section that is weight restricted (7000 lbs IIRC).  You have to take I-880 to I-238 to I-580 (or vice versa).

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

Thanks for the responses, sounds like no advantage over I-15.  Just accept it as part of the experience and try to make that drive on Sunday. :lol:

No really need to only go through on Sunday.  We have been up and down I-15 from Provo (actually Spanish Forks) to I-84 going to/from Oregon about 8-9 times in the last 6 years.  With one exception, when there was an accident which held up for about an hour, the traffic flowed smoothly.  It was always mid day travel or one time before 7am. 

Not saying it was easy or fun driving with cars and trucks all around you at 60-65mph, but no major problems. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, Al F said:

No really need to only go through on Sunday.  We have been up and down I-15 from Provo (actually Spanish Forks) to I-84 going to/from Oregon about 8-9 times in the last 6 years.  With one exception, when there was an accident which held up for about an hour, the traffic flowed smoothly.  It was always mid day travel or one time before 7am. 

Not saying it was easy or fun driving with cars and trucks all around you at 60-65mph, but no major problems. 

We too have driven through SLC a handful of times, just never used the I-215 route.  Our most recent trip was this fall with our new TT when visiting Zion and Bryce.  My wife and I think the great folks of Utah see driving as a contest - they seem to be in an awful hurry.

Archived